Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

does it ever bother you that vintage clothing is a deceased person's clothing?

Some people have an instinctive belief in a more voodoo type of relasionship between ownership of items and influence on our lives. That makes them creep-out over the idea of dead people had stuff. National lampoons vacation the daughter is screaming about how a dead person breahted on her.

The smell comes from stuff being stored for a while with out being aired out.

We've all heard the story of the Corvette for sale for really cheap...
The owner passed away in the car in the parking lot of the local market at the beginning of the 3 day weekend and wasn't discovered until Tuesday.

Almost everything I own is vintage and so the original owner is probably long gone. Frankly, when I pass, I hope that people enjoy the things I have now (preferably, my next-of-kin) I would hate to see my 'life's work' end up in a landfill.

If you own an older home, odds are someone died in it, that wouldn't make me move. We lived in a house where the previous owner was brutally murdered in it. We also owned a house where the family all lived on surrounding farms and told us how the family member who owned that one died on the toilet.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
If you own an older home, odds are someone died in it, that wouldn't make me move. We lived in a house where the previous owner was brutally murdered in it.

:eeek: I think that would freak me out ever so slightly! I was watching a documentary recently about the Clutter Family who were all brutally murdered in their home and the lady who currently owns the house has no problem living there whatsoever (can't say I would feel the same). She said that every year strangers come up the road to her house to have a look, take photos and ask questions about the killings.

It wouldn't bother me to live in a house where someone died of natural causes (my father died in our family home) but if someone was brutally murdered I really don't think I could live there happily.

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
I'm not bothered by it at all. This would be like asking a Classic-Car Enthusiast if driving a 1933 Pontiac would bother them, as the people whom assembled it may belong gone.

My answer would be no. I am not bothered due to the fact that I want to enjoy the item for what it is, and preserve their craftmanship and style for future generations to enjoy! And who knows, maybe the deceased wearer is looking down on you saying, "Dang, he/she sure looks sharp!"

Flicka

One Too Many
I knew a girl who got a very attractive flat thanks to the fact that the previous owner was brutally killed by a male prostitute he's picked up. It was top notch, because it had to be completely redone due to the splatter on walls and floors.

It didn't bother her one bit but it would've bothered me. Natural causes, no problem (it's not like I haven't had people die in my building anyway), but that was just too gruesome...

There were two murders in my neighborhood. The most recent happening several months ago when a man shot and killed his estranged wife at her parents' house and then turned the gun on himself. the other happened a couple of years ago when another man killed his mother. I was coming home that evening to find that the police had blocked off half the neighborhood because the killer had either barricaded himself in the house or the police were searching the neighborhood for him -- I forgot which one it was.

Last edited:

Chas

One Too Many
We've all heard the story of the Corvette for sale for really cheap...
The owner passed away in the car in the parking lot of the local market at the beginning of the 3 day weekend and wasn't discovered until Tuesday.

In my mind that only increases it's value.

Think of it- this car was the last thing that guy will ever see for all eternity. It's actually kinda cool.

I knew a girl who got a very attractive flat thanks to the fact that the previous owner was brutally killed by a male prostitute he's picked up. It was top notch, because it had to be completely redone due to the splatter on walls and floors.

It didn't bother her one bit but it would've bothered me. Natural causes, no problem (it's not like I haven't had people die in my building anyway), but that was just too gruesome...

That again is pretty cool - this flat has a story to tell. We're all standing on graves, really. If you live anywhere where people have been living for any amount of time, someone has snuffed it in your vicinity.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
There's a house on my street that's repeatedly been the site of Bad Things. About thirty years ago, some kids were fooling around upstairs in this house and set fire to an old chair. They panicked and tried to shove it down the stairs, but it jammed in the stairwell, and they couldn't get out -- and were all killed. Since then, the house has been the scene for all sorts of crime and vice, most recently hosting a meth lab.

I once looked -- very briefly -- into buying this house, and when I went inside I saw things that disturbed me deeply. I don't believe in demons or evil spirits or bad juju or any of that stuff, but there was a very unhealthy presence in that house. I get the creeps every time I walk past it.

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
It doesn't bother me. I always wonder who wore the hats, what events they attended while wearing the hat, what tragedies or happy moments they experienced while wearing it. If the hats could talk it would have a lot of bittersweet things to say.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I knew a girl who got a very attractive flat thanks to the fact that the previous owner was brutally killed by a male prostitute he's picked up. It was top notch, because it had to be completely redone due to the splatter on walls and floors....

Hi Flicka

I wasn't going to post this, but since it dovetails your post...

A guy I used to work with rented an apartment. He moved everything in and went to bed that night. When he woke up in the morning, he noticed that the ceiling was textured in a weird way, a large semi-circle on the ceiling and on the wall like someone had tacked a round table cloth on the wall and ceiling. He asked his neighbor about it, the neighbor asked to look at it. The neighbor told him that the previous renter had killed himself in the bedroom... Figure it out.

That's just wrong.

Edward

Bartender
Oh, I love those Jack the Ripper PMs. PM photography goes back to the 1840s. The oldest ones from the 1840s-60s are probably my fave. Some of the mothers in those photos have such intense eyes. You can feel their pain from across 160 years. Fascinating stuff.

I have books of PMs and crime scenes. Gore doesn't bother me. But don't show me a caterpillar.....(I'll scream and start to shake!)

lol Funny how different things set of different people. I had a girlfriend years ago loved to watch really schlocky horror films with me, but she was so phobic of clowns that even when my mother once innocently bought her something in a bag with a clown on it, I had to open it for her...

I was pretty sensitive as a child. I remember when someone told me about crucifixion when I was very small. After that, the sight of a cross made me sick. I seriously threw a fit if someone brought me inside a church. We're talking a fully fledged terrified FIT with a capital F, now. I was literally frightened out of my wits by any depiction of Jesus.

A few hundred years ago, they'd have assumed I was possessed. :D

:D Ain't that the truth... A few hundred years ago - or if you'd been certain denominations today. ;)

While not exactly clothes, about a year ago or so the Rolex watches that once belonged to Buddy Holly and JFK sold at an auction. Both were wearing them when they died.

I'd be interested in Buddy's..... JFK, nah, I'd pass on him.

:eeek: I think that would freak me out ever so slightly! I was watching a documentary recently about the Clutter Family who were all brutally murdered in their home and the lady who currently owns the house has no problem living there whatsoever (can't say I would feel the same). She said that every year strangers come up the road to her house to have a look, take photos and ask questions about the killings.

It wouldn't bother me to live in a house where someone died of natural causes (my father died in our family home) but if someone was brutally murdered I really don't think I could live there happily.

Agreed. I'm not even sure (based on certain, eh.... experiences I've had) that I could live smewhere like that confortable even without knowing the history of the place.

That again is pretty cool - this flat has a story to tell. We're all standing on graves, really. If you live anywhere where people have been living for any amount of time, someone has snuffed it in your vicinity.

Too ghoulish for me. Course, I might think differently if I'd previously been homeless...

There's a house on my street that's repeatedly been the site of Bad Things. About thirty years ago, some kids were fooling around upstairs in this house and set fire to an old chair. They panicked and tried to shove it down the stairs, but it jammed in the stairwell, and they couldn't get out -- and were all killed. Since then, the house has been the scene for all sorts of crime and vice, most recently hosting a meth lab.

I once looked -- very briefly -- into buying this house, and when I went inside I saw things that disturbed me deeply. I don't believe in demons or evil spirits or bad juju or any of that stuff, but there was a very unhealthy presence in that house. I get the creeps every time I walk past it.

I believe very strongly in the concept of place memory. I've had experiences where there was clearly something malevolent and conscious involved, but as a distinct and separate thing i do firmly believe that a place can retain something of the energy given off in and around it, whether for good or ill. The worst experience ever I had in that respect was at Auschwitz, in a very specific place about which I know nothing (other than it was one of the Birkenau cabins where the inmates were bunked).

Hi Flicka

I wasn't going to post this, but since it dovetails your post...

A guy I used to work with rented an apartment. He moved everything in and went to bed that night. When he woke up in the morning, he noticed that the ceiling was textured in a weird way, a large semi-circle on the ceiling and on the wall like someone had tacked a round table cloth on the wall and ceiling. He asked his neighbor about it, the neighbor asked to look at it. The neighbor told him that the previous renter had killed himself in the bedroom... Figure it out.

That's just wrong.

Sounds like somebody didn't bother to clean up properly before they repainted....

I actually think it's cool to wear something that someone else(s) enjoyed years ago! While it's nigh impossible for me to find things in my size that are really old, I like clothing with a history, which includes previous owners. Of course it's nicer if it was a family member or someone of notoriety, but I like keeping something going rather than it being tossed out.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
That part wasn't so bad. We ended up selling after owning the house 10 months, because the murderer kept coming back to the house after the fact.

That is horrible. :(

There is a beautiful old house near where I went to college. A guy went totally crazy and had a mental break, and killed 6 or 7 of his family members (including his wife and children as well as I believe his sister/brother and in-laws) and then himself at least 10 or 15 years ago. Nobody wants to live in that house now, which is kind of a shame. It also put the small town on the record books for a while for having one of the highest murder rates in the state, proving that statistics can be a little misleading.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn