Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does it matter if a sweatband is split?

dragonaxe

One of the Regulars
I've seen a hat on fleebay, which has a split across the width of its inner leather sweatband. The stitching along it's top edge (joining it to the felt) is unbroken. Should this be a cause for concern?

cheers

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
You will always get a range of opinion on this question. So let me express another viewpoint.

More typically, broken sweatbands are of concern to prospective buyers. And a broken sweatband will almost certainly reduce the value of the hat.

The sweatband can indeed be replaced, but it's not free. And if you have to ship to and from a hatter the cost can be quite high.

Another consideration is this. In some cases, much of the original charm of a vintage hat can be lost by changing the sweatband. It's resale value can even be reduced by doing so.

I don't know if any of what I say here is relevant in this particular instance. But I think it's fair to say that many will agree that a compromised sweatband typically lowers the value of a hat, that it can be pricey to change the sweatband, that in some cases it's not really worth the expense.

Everything depends on the hat in question and your personal preferences.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
The tear may also call into question the general condition of the leather. It may be falling apart soon. A clean cut on leather in good condition could be taped (the way seams are), but this would be an unusual occurance.

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
The tear may also call into question the general condition of the leather. It may be falling apart soon. A clean cut on leather in good condition could be taped (the way seams are), but this would be an unusual occurance.
I hope the "clean cut" on the sweat band didn't happen while it was being worn - otherwise not even a naptha bath may get that stain out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany