Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does vintage make you look.... *older*?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
It's possible for a grown man to look dignified in a backwards baseball cap.

roy-campanella.jpg

The trick is making it harmonize properly with the rest of his ensemble.

Edward

Bartender
Obviously, that thought process doesn't take place in so many words, but that's the idea that would cross young minds. And yes, I've seen 60+ year olds in shorts and backwards hats downtown. Granted...I do live in Des Moines...

Oddly enough, Of all the places I have been in the world, nowhere has matched the USA for the sheer number of grown men in short trousers... Obviously some sort of cultural thing. In my own personal experience, here in London in the Summer if you see a guy much north of twenty wearing shorts, more likely than not he is American. I assume in large part this is down to the fact that they don't have the "posh school uniform" / "kids' clothing" associations they do for many over here, though I don't know how that factors across the rest of Europe.

I customarily wear shorts during the summer but I absolutely hate modern shorts which can't seem to decide whether it wants to be short trousers or long shorts. Unfortunately I feel as if I have no choice because that's the only kind that seems to be available.

HoundstoothLuke

Familiar Face
Oddly enough, Of all the places I have been in the world, nowhere has matched the USA for the sheer number of grown men in short trousers... Obviously some sort of cultural thing. In my own personal experience, here in London in the Summer if you see a guy much north of twenty wearing shorts, more likely than not he is American. I assume in large part this is down to the fact that they don't have the "posh school uniform" / "kids' clothing" associations they do for many over here, though I don't know how that factors across the rest of Europe.

Out here in the provincial cities you will see plenty of shorts. Usually accompanied by either a tank-top (or indeed no shirt), and an "England" tattoo on the back of the head, or on the hands. Quite long shorts too, past the knee.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up

I think that the British overseas territory of Bermuda (Somers Isles) has us beat, old boy...but not by much.

Shorts and desert heat or tropical weather should not be strangers. The British military included shorts in their uniforms and even the foreign service in Jamaica or Bermudas had dress shorts for certain functions.

I'd like to invite anyone to come and stay at my home during the hotter parts of summer, I wear shorts because in a suit I'd melt.
Heat stroke is for real gents, you may toy with it but it's no fun when somebody gets hurt.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I used to wear a baseball cap backwards when welding. The peak is ideal for stopping the sparks going down your neck.

Noirblack

One of the Regulars

Add Canada to the list. In my part of the frozen north it is so humid in the summer that long pants are very unpleasant in the summer.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Shorts and desert heat or tropical weather should not be strangers. The British military included shorts in their uniforms and even the foreign service in Jamaica or Bermudas had dress shorts for certain functions.

I'd like to invite anyone to come and stay at my home during the hotter parts of summer, I wear shorts because in a suit I'd melt.
Heat stroke is for real gents, you may toy with it but it's no fun when somebody gets hurt.
I fully support any man or woman's choice to wear shorts when it's 100F/37.8C, with 85% humidity. I live in a climate that is intolerable from mid-June to the end of September. I used to try to dress well during the dog days of summer, but all it got me was sweaty and hot. The dresses and heels will come back once the average high is below 85F again.

Machine Ager

Familiar Face
Unfortunately I must agree with most of the comments here. At least here in central Texas due to the casual culture vintage clothes (more formal) do make a person add years in thier estimation.

Example - My 18 yr. old step daughter says I look like an "Old Mad Scientist" due to my short back and sides haircut and suits/Fedoras....

Oh well I love my hats etc..

Machine Ager

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot