Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does wearing vintage Get you noticed by the opposite sex?

p71towny

Familiar Face
Its not what you wear but how you wear it. I don't really dress vintage, cept for the hat and coat. People do like my hat tho. Gals back in the 40's, now they had it goin on. That style is teh win!!

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Mario my dear man, you are tooo funny! Why I prefer/like to wear NON low rise jeans and hunt for high-waisted ladies trousers ala' Kate Hepburn! This woman obviously ate too many muffins (and every other kind of fattening food she could find to stuff into her mouth). Not even sure that Pilates would help her...

In order to thoroughly answer your question I need to warn you first.
Don't look at the attached image below unless you're willing to have your eyes professionally bleached after usage.

---+---

Last warning!
The following image holds rather graphic and potentially obtrusive content.
Do not cross this line if you're not convinced that you're really willing to do so.

---+---

Well, here ya go:

The label may say 'Muffin Top' but if you look closely (beware!) it's all there, pants, top and all...
muffin-top-taking-things-to-a-whole-new-level-demotivational-poster.jpg

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
In short, yes.

There are few women (at least to whom I'm attracted) that can resist a well-mannered, well-dressed man, a well-aged scotch and some Frank on the record player. It's damn near magic.

Well, I can skip the scotch (sorry, not much of a drinker), but the rest sounds just fine! And if a man can dance me around a floor just for a wee bit or even more, especially to Frank- I'm a goner...

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Back when I was single, the aroma of my pipe tobacco smoke used to get me play. Seriously.

The problem with vintage is that it tends to get you play with vintage'd ladies, some of whom unleash manic-depressive drama queen behavior when you're already "hooked". Unfortunately, it's those wacky ones who tend to be the most, er, passionate and, um, exploratory. The price we pay! :rolleyes:

Gosh, I love the aroma of a fine pipe tobacco, sigh. Not around much these days it seems..., Thanks for bringing it up Marc! Fortunately not all of vintage lovin' gals that are... ahem, passionate and exploratory are wacky, maybe we're just a bit more high maintenance. But worth the extra effort of looking for to find us.

Last edited:

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab

Another problem with "play" and vintage female partners, or at least the ones in California ... some of them wear 1930s-'40s vintage silk or rayon undergarments, garter belts and stockings. "Developments" screech to a near-halt as they (not you!) ever-so-carefully take off these gossamer museum pieces. lol

Hilarious reading here Marc!! Thankfully not all of us here in Calif ;)... The really smart ladies wear the vintage dresses, slips, coats and furs, but modern repro versions of the underwear and stockings!! A real gent that truly appreciated the vintage look on a lady would know how to remove the lady's vintage garments respectfully, carefully and could do so with finesse anyway...

Last edited:

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
I think a lot of it is a numbers game, and your environment. If you are in a cosmopolitan environment, a larger city or in a certain scene, the chances are much greater for an individualistic or unique dressing style to be appreciated . Also, if you are comfortable in your own skin in Vintage clothing, and know what you want in life you will get what you want. Before I turned 21, I was not as sure what I wanted in life or who I was as a person. Now that I have confidence through my experiences and have put my ambitions into practice, I feel completely natural in my own skin and my style has evolved. I have a very positive and optimistic view of the world and in humanity. This positive attitude keeps me going as I am the only one I know of with my style In San Diego. Man or women. I believe your environment is what you make of it. I find it is very easy to find ladies who appreciate my vintage style or anyone who has any unique qualities even if it is in such a homogeneous society. I think people in general will appreciate an individual who expresses themselves in an individualistic manner (vintage clothing), as long as its sincere and authentic and done confidently. Knowing what you what, and making an effort to achieve this, is a very attractive trait, especially when its done in style.

Extremely well put Metropd! Bravo Sir!

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
in my area just wearing pants/shirt that aren't three sizes too big and sporting logos gets the attention of the ladies.

this was my outfit for last weekend (not exactly vintage), but the comment i got was "oh, sexy, you look like a '50's boy-band".
4978839309_7e14db7e02_z.jpg

I must agree with miss HepKitty. Very nice! Sexy, yes, but you do not look like a guy in a 50s boy-band- you look clean cut and classy!

Pompidou

One Too Many
Women like hats, I've noticed, especially women my age, so while I can't vouch for vintage-entire getting me play, I can say that not only do fedoras get me play, but I exploit them (the fedoras, I mean) for it. My best ice-breaker is plopping my hat on the head of any cute girl who shows interest in it, if it hasn't already been snatched. If CopperNY represents vintage dress, I suppose I'm similar except for the sweater. Slacks, dress shoes and button down shirts are all I like to wear - and sunglasses I suppose. I guess I've fully answered the question. Dressing nicely gets me play.

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
Refering to what I quoted above:
Keep dressing up even if there are only 5 people around you! They may all of a sudden begin to do the same :)

Funny you should say that, i have got a couple of the little girls in the cafe next to my shop wearing Rosie type headscartfs, they're coming round to my way of thinking slowly. ;)

Actually back on topic, i think it would be fair to say that as a woman regardless of the fact that most of the locals don't get my vintage attire, if i wanted 'play' in the broadest sense of the word, it would be there for the taking, but that's not my scene really. I would just like to meet someone with similar interests, who wants to 'get me' as a person if such a man exists, (or if indeed such a thing is possible). But i'm not going to sit around and bemoan my single status or just pass the time with some idle dalliances because i should be dating or whatever. Actually ceasing to even worry about even meeting anyone is rather liberating at the risk of sounding trite. :)[/QUOTE] OK funny that only part of this quote went in the bubble

Ceasing worring about it is the best way to go. I did that and then met my husband.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My son is taking a photography class at the local community college and wanted me to be his subject for a shot with "hard lighting" and "soft lighting". The set was a desk with an old (1930's era) typewriter and a candle-stick telephone (props I supplied, of course). I wore my fedora and a navy three-piece pin-stripe suit.

While getting set up for the shot, several of the young female students (young ladies in their early 20's) started talking to me about how much they liked my hat and suit. They were flirting, in a friendly just having fun kind of way. My son says, "hey, that's my Dad you're talking to." To which they replied, "That's your Dad? He's really nice."

It was a lot of harmless fun and I really enjoyed the attention; but had I not have been wearing a suit and hat, I wouldn't have even been noticed by them. So, dressing vintage sure appears to be a factor in "getting play."

Good thing I'm not a dirty old man. Just think what I could get away with if I wore a suit, hat, and had a cute little puppy dog with me. My, oh my, oh my ...

ortega76

Practically Family
During my twenties, I was working in an art school in downtown Chicago. I was active in the swing and lounge scene so my "signature" around the office/school was spectators, fedoras and deco ties. It got me a lot of notice and a lot of dates both in the office and in my social circle. That wasn't even full-on vintage.

Now? Well, I'm engaged and a dad, so "play" isn't my thing. I do get a lot of interest in my style which has a lot of vintage elements but still not full-on vintage.

Swing Motorman

One of the Regulars
Thank you to everyone who has posted in this thread. Reading this from beginning to end has been entertaining, inspiring, and uplifting. From HepKitty's tell-it-like-it-is determination to the heartwarming advice given to deleteduser, this thread is a marvel.

I met my previous girlfriend by teaching her the basics of East Coast Swing. It was vintage manners and sharp looks that caught her heart. And this was in a very rural area in a room full of badly-dressed and questionably sober teens-to-twentysomethings. Around two years later, it was clearly the not-vintage cultural influences and pressures of life and that split us apart.

So take heart, all. Bobby Darin's tune "Dream Lover" may describe my current situation (and others here), but we should never despair and certainly not give up on ourselves. It's easy to feel down-n'-out and undesirable if you dress like that; switch to some classier threads and you will always have the advantage of being that much closer to your best self.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Boys! I tell ya.

They rush to the chocolate cake rather than savor the delicious three-course meal. Instant gratification will kill this country, mark my words! :eusa_doh:

So I asked my husband about this (having to wait to take off the layers of clothes, the straps, garters, etc.) and he honestly thinks that any man who thinks this way is weird, especially about stockings and garters. The one advantage of having a "vintage woman" as a partner (in his mind) is that you know what she has on underneath. And you get to see it. And when you can't see it, you know it's there. Men go to clubs of a certain reputation to see that sort of thing.

I didn't really know my husband liked vintage when I married him. We both liked old houses, and old things, but we never put it together at the time. We've both grown more into it since we've been together. We are incredibly lucky.

martinsantos

Practically Family
Funny thread.

Not on "play" now, since I'm very well married since 2005, and met my (then) future wife in 2002. Before meeting her I discovered that:
1- women like a lot men in suits;
2- women with personality prefer men with personality. Ever if this means some "eccentricity";
3- usually women don't like men with hats, because take too much attention.

Happilly my wife likes so much as me vintage things as music, forniture, style, etc. So I can say that ever in this aspect I'm very happy!!!

This week, for the very first time, I saw a lady in a complete vintage like outfit. Dress, a little coat (the correct name is "bolero", I think) and a flower in the hair. A trully walking Kodachrome from 40s. I wish I had in hands my camera - not to take photos of her, but the guys almost breaking their necks to look at her. (smartly, she didn't pay attention to any and was just walking and smiling in downtown - our "deco" scenario here). By now here is terrible hot, so the usual girls clothing are shorts and miniskirts. Probably a severe indication about the success about vintage!

Burton

One of the Regulars
I cant speak to the fellows that are wearing costumes. In my line I wear a lot of vintage safari wear which I wear in some interesting places. From what I have experienced it does not appeal to all women but when it does it really does.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Hadn't worn my vintage clothing for a while (a long story). Untill just very recently never for my man, though he's seen inside the half of the walk in closet that houses mine and the two children's vintage wear. Decided with the cold weather of late to pop on two different vintage coats; to wear out to my Thursday dance classes with him, we meet up first at his house before. First, I wore the beige boucle' coat with the fur trim down the front openings with beige embroidered vintage gloves. He was quite delighted to see me in a vintage coat, and very impressed. Then just this past Thursday evening, I wore a long big square shouldered 40s fur coat that matched perfectly in length with my modern dress with the vintage blue gloves. My gent loved both coats!! Especially the 40s dress length coat-he was completely mesmerized by it and couldn't keep his hands off it (stroking the coat and thereby moi underneath it for quite a while when I arrived. Yummy;)

I got lots of very positive comments from men and ladies alike on both coats at my dance classes.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner