Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does wearing vintage Get you noticed by the opposite sex?

Mugwump

One of the Regulars
@dogrocketp - not only was #9 sneaky (but very good), the fact that you repeated "say Hello" a couple of times was great, too.

I admit I'm quite the introvert (and almost painfully shy), but I at least try and say hello (and lightly chat the person up a little, if possible). I admit I don't dress vintage all the time as I'm only building my wardrobe at this point, but I try and add to my look somehow every day. I've received compliments (garsh! *blushes*), but no "play" yet lol Will keep the flirtation engine idling, though...especially when I can finally go full on vintage wardrobe! :D

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Well, I'm married, so I don't really count lol but for whatever it is worth, I think guys + vintage = hot. Oh yeah, I said it.

My husband dresses very dapper. He rarely wears jeans and half the time is in a sportcoat and tie. His "lounge around the house" attire is pressed cotton oxford PJs and a nice robe, or a smoking jacket. lol I much prefer a man who cares about his appearance and puts forth some effort to put on nice, clean, matching clothes, rather than a dirty ironic t-shirt and "bedhead."

There are a lot of very attractive people on this forum. In fact, I can't recall ever seeing a photo or avatar of anyone on this site (male OR female) who wasn't a site for sore eyes. I'm a little surprised that anyone here has a tough time with the opposite sex.

HepKitty

One Too Many
fortworthgal said:
I'm a little surprised that anyone here has a tough time with the opposite sex.

I live in an ultra-conservative and one-sided area where single people don't exist, and if they do, they're pretty much considered vermin. The college here excluded of course, but that's not really my crowd aside from the swing dancers. With the vermin part established, think of how said vermin would react to anyone considered above average for any reason. You won't be treated kindly, and you certainly won't be given a chance. They will make their assumptions about you and move on, right wrong or indifferent. Sad but true! And if they do behave like that, are they worth having around in the first place?

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I see what you mean. I grew up in an extremely rural farming area, and yes, I can easily see how being "different" in an area such as that would be more difficult and make one less "socially acceptable" than someone in the same attire in a larger metropolitan area with a more diverse culture.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Are you sure we don't live in the same place? :eusa_doh:

Actually i have got some play in the pipeline i hope, but he is not from my neck of the woods and is totally into the vintage lifestyle, so fingers crossed. If i had to rely on trying to meet someone in my neck of the woods, well, i'd be waiting a hell of a long time for sure!

HepKitty

One Too Many
Miss sofia said:
If i had to rely on trying to meet someone in my neck of the woods, well, i'd be waiting a hell of a long time for sure!

This is why I don't bother. I'm not going to just sit idly and wait for someone to come along when he doesn't exist here in the first place. I just do what I want with my free time and when my kids are home they own me.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Exactly, i'm content with my friends, job, kids, etc, my life is pretty sorted. The reality of it is I wouldn't actually want to meet anyone where i live, so the fact someone has appeared on the radar who is not from my area is a bit of a gift from the gods really. I do miss not having someone a little, truth be told . But if nothing comes of it, i'm pretty stoical about the whole thing, having been burned really badly in the past, i'm more than happy being single, i have piece of mind and a brain that isn't screaming all the time, there is a lot to be said for that!. So 'Que sera' and all that.

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
Miss sofia said:
Exactly, i'm content with my friends, job, kids, etc, my life is pretty sorted. The reality of it is I wouldn't actually want to meet anyone where i live, so the fact someone has appeared on the radar who is not from my area is a bit of a gift from the gods really. I do miss not having someone a little, truth be told . But if nothing comes of it, i'm pretty stoical about the whole thing, having been burned really badly in the past, i'm more than happy being single, i have piece of mind and a brain that isn't screaming all the time, there is a lot to be said for that!. So 'Que sera' and all that.

Word for word, my dear. Exactly my thoughts.

I'll wait until my kids are grown, my ex is out of my life, and I can finally move back to a place I'm more comfortable in. At that point, I may subject myself to the rigors of a relationship again and also not burden her with my life distractions. Eight more years!

Rick

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Seven years to go here, (and not counting :) ), although the fact i'm in a good place finally in my head means i'm not totally averse to the idea of meeting someone, the chap i will be stepping out with soon seems really great, it's just perhaps the thought of having to crawl out of the wreckage of another relationship has made me question whether it was that important to my status as an individual to be in one. And the answer to that was a resounding 'NO'. My friends and family are finally coming round to my way of thinking after years of trying to set me up or get me married off. Anyway i take comfort from the fact that most of my parents friends who hooked up later on life seem to have gone the distance.

Saffron

HepKitty

One Too Many
Miss sofia said:
means i'm not totally averse to the idea of meeting someone,
Saffron

9 for me

I'm not either it's just that I don't want to sit at home and whine about being single or complain about the people here. I just want to do useful things with my time since I have it to kill and that way I won't feel like I'm cheating myself if I eventually end up spending some time with a man

fortworthgal said:
I'm a little surprised that anyone here has a tough time with the opposite sex.
Being a nondriver way out in the sticks doesn't help much, when your life is governed by limited bus schedules and even more limited carpool arrangements, it kinda tends to put a cramp on your contacts outside of those who you do business with. And while there are a couple kinda cute gals on staff at the library I work out of, I'm reluctant to gamble the working-relationships I have with them especially since the head honcho and I have a degree of perpetual tension. (When you use an entire section of Reference every day and most of the library's staff know you do, and then you come in one day after this has been routine for a year plus and get told "oh, it's gone, lack of use"... it's like "The [REDACTED] Hell you say?!")

That, and having to admit to being unbalanced (in the sense of "growth and development were almost all 'Professional', very little 'Personal'") doesn't help either.lol

Mugwump

One of the Regulars
Miss Sofia & Hepkitty
You two sound like you're in a good place...good for you! :eusa_clap I will admit that while "having someone in my life" is not all important, I find that I miss the human contact (and I don't just mean "recreational activities" :D ). It would be nice to have someone to share my life with (and have them share theirs with me), but so far I have been content with how things are in my life now (15+ years since my last relationship went kaput). My only regret - not having children. At my age (pushing 40), it gets difficult for both mother and unborn baby, and with the extent of my endometriosis, I doubt if I could get pregnant now, let alone carry to term. No worries, it makes me appreciate other people's children more - besides, there's plenty of children awaiting adoption if I really want to go that route eventually...:eek:fftopic: , sorry folks!
And I agree with a comment above fortworthgal...there's so many good looking and nice people on this site, you shouldn't have any problems finding Mr./Ms. Right (or at least right-for-now)! ;)

HepKitty

One Too Many
Mugwump said:
My only regret - not having children. At my age (pushing 40), it gets difficult for both mother and unborn baby, and with the extent of my endometriosis, I doubt if I could get pregnant now, let alone carry to term. No worries, it makes me appreciate other people's children more - besides, there's plenty of children awaiting adoption if I really want to go that route eventually...:eek:fftopic: , sorry folks!
QUOTE]

:eek:fftopic: There are downsides though, I mean, there is a lot you can't do if you have kids, so don't regret anything. Pregnancy is interesting but not quite fun, so leave it up to someone else and adopt if you're in a position to do so :)

DB and Miss Sofia yes the natives are weird so I'd rather find someone not from here at all anyway lol

CopperNY

A-List Customer
been with the same woman for 18 years. married 13.

but we run with a very flirtatious crowd.

didn't have kids. waffled too long and nature took over. but we are more than willing to briefly babysit for friends. :)

back on topic:

dressing vintage/vintage-inspired gets me more and more attention, as i stand out in a crowd that typically dresses "grunge" or "oversized athletic logo".

HepKitty

One Too Many
CopperNY said:
back on topic:

dressing vintage/vintage-inspired gets me more and more attention, as i stand out in a crowd that typically dresses "grunge" or "oversized athletic logo".

Yes because you will look so much nicer!

Mugwump

One of the Regulars
@ Hepkitty - thank you, very kind to say (and I'm NOT being sarcastic :) )
@ Locktowndog - lol If you'd like to send them to me, I'll warn you (and them) I bite back! :p
@ Diamondback - so suggest/arrange a meet, get out of your comfort zone a little ;)

Anywho, off to work on the vintage wardrobe and get myself some "play"! :D

HepKitty

One Too Many
LocktownDog said:
Excellent! I've got three I can send immediately! You're in Idaho, so UPS shouldn't take more than a day. Be wary of the two teens, they bite. :D

Rick

I'm the one in Idaho, Mugwump is in Toronto :D I have my two and I love them dearly but I don't think I could handle any more lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters