Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does wearing vintage Get you noticed by the opposite sex?

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I'd take 'em but you would have to send Red Cross food parcels with them too, how much food do teenage boys eat?? It's like watching a pool full of pirhanans eating a cow round the dinner table at my house! ;)

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Diamondback said:
@Derek: Funny, that... that's the case 'til they have a stalker, then they (like everybody, to a degree) all each want their own pet Big Black Suit to chase the nightmares away, then he's to be disposed of or locked up in a little box once the problem is gone.:(

I see you use part of the DENNIS system. Scare them until they call you in to protect them. But maybe you don't follow it through all the way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ja8zo3jvoY

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Bustercat said:
I'm not about getting play (married next summer!) but I definitely get more attention/glances/smiles since I've started wearing fedoras full time. And from ladies who would have been outta my league when I was still on the market.

I don't really do a full vintage thing, but choose fairly timeless cuts (dockers classics, wing tips, pendletons, etc.) mixed with vintage (like guayaberas, jackets, coats, etc.) I check out senior citizens on the street for fashion tips.

I think being a dressy guy who doesn't look like he's going to prom or "pimping" catches attention these days since so many people still do the "just woke up fem boy" look. The whole "Mad Men chic" thing has made a classic look sexier today, too.

I might accuse you of cheating though. Not on the Fiance of course. I mean, wearing the khakis with 50s looking shirts, black glasses etc might put you pretty squarely in the rockabillyish/gearhead/tatoo culture thing. Which would make you kind of him in a lot of circles. (being a bit facetious, not serious here) Very different from wearing a 40s suit and tie for a full vintage look. Although you might get attention that way as well.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Widebrim said:
Here in L.A., if I dress Bold Look (full-draped jackets, big lapels, baggy/pleated trousers, wide ties, etc.), I'll get compliments mostly from Black men and older women; from everyone else, mostly stares...When I put on "Mr. T."/Italian-cut clothing (i.e. tighter-fitting jackets, with narrower lapels, trouser legs, and neckties), I will get compliments from just about all age/ethnic groups, including the younger ladies. It's not that I can't pull off the Bold Look (I'm 6', 178lbs), but the "Mr. T." style likely appears more modern-looking and streamlined to most people, and I think modern gals prefer that (except, perhaps, here on the Lounge:eek:). When a woman is dressed vintage, I always check her out, and if we're both dressed vintage, we often will find ourselves in a game of "I'm looking at you--no, I'm not," until one us of starts a conversation.:rolleyes: (As an addendum, neither style works in places like San Rafael, bastion of old hippies...)

Since starting this thread, a number of interesting things have happened. Mad Men became a hit, the metrosexual crowd seems to be getting dressier and dressier, and there is a new trend that comes on the heels of the tatoo/circus performance/ burlesque/absinth? thing. I see guys in a somewhat vintage look, but not like what most here wear. Imagine a young skinny guy with rolled up sleeves, short twenties tie maybe, wool vintage looking trousers but straight leg with suspenders, tatoos on the forearms, greased hair, and a slight haldlebar or waxed tip moustache.

Cool look, but not me. But this is considered very hip in a lot of circles. So why does this guy get to be cool, and guys like us have to put up "attitude can mitigate the vintage look" or "if they don't like you they are not a good person anyway"?

I'm just sayin'

Well, the only part I use by design is the "D", although I've been stung by gals opening with the "I" then waiting a year or more to spring the Friend Box Trap and the "S"--the second N is something I would not willingly do, and the first is the very antithesis of my style, which is more of "since I can't always be there, I'd like to help you learn a few things to help you take care of yourself when I can't be there for you." Wouldn't argue with getting a CHANCE at the "E", if there were some kind of commitment first... (Which is part of why I don't use DENNIS: I'm more of a "settle down"-oriented sort--literally, I consider the highest ambition I have to be becoming a husband and father--as opposed to a "serial dater", which is more my manure-sack father's bag of dirty-tricks.)

o D – Demonstrate Your Value
o E – Engage Physically
o N – Nurturing Dependence
o N - Neglect Emotionally
o I – Inspire Hope
o S – Separate Entirely

----------------
Now playing: John Dickson - Victor's story
via FoxyTunes

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
dogrocketp said:
#9 Was a bit sneaky, and my attempt at humor. I find that most people are fascinated by good vintage on others. Today was a Linen Glen Plaid DB suit, White tab collar shirt, and vintage linen necktie. The hat was a 40's style straw fedora. There was some female headsnapping. One woman followed me for most of a block, I said hello and kept going. I will not talk to women in muffin pants. It skeeves me out!

Well, I didn't start the thread to complain and I am not now. But I dare say, when you live in DC, you can pretty easily expect to dress as you do and expect to get some positive feedback. But a little different living in Idaho, nevada or some other rural place. But good for you for looking sharp. We need to keep that alive at least in our nations capital.

HepKitty

One Too Many
Diamondback said:
o D – Demonstrate Your Value
o E – Engage Physically
o N – Nurturing Dependence
o N - Neglect Emotionally
o I – Inspire Hope
o S – Separate Entirely

wow harsh

dogrocketp

One of the Regulars
Reetpleet, I stick out like a sore thumb in tired ,conservative Washington. I really don't care. I dress vintage for myself, believing I look good. I also know a Miss Sofia or Hepkitty type beauty will stumble across my path. My last girlfriend was a "killer" vintage woman who had to move 3,000 miles away to warmer weather for her health. We will attract what we put out in effort. Let's enjoy the ride as much as the destination. I know there are wonderful members of the opposite sex out there. I see them on Fedora Lounge. At the end of the day, if we are happy with ourselves, we are attractive. I've tried to give this to my sons.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
dogrocketp said:
Reetpleet, I stick out like a sore thumb in tired ,conservative Washington. I really don't care. I dress vintage for myself, believing I look good. I also know a Miss Sofia or Hepkitty type beauty will stumble across my path. My last girlfriend was a "killer" vintage woman who had to move 3,000 miles away to warmer weather for her health. We will attract what we put out in effort. Let's enjoy the ride as much as the destination. I know there are wonderful members of the opposite sex out there. I see them on Fedora Lounge. At the end of the day, if we are happy with ourselves, we are attractive. I've tried to give this to my sons.

I guess I imagined you looking like a conservative wealthy southern east coaster. Must have gotten the wrong image in my mind.

Gilboa

One of the Regulars
reetpleat said:
... But I dare say, when you live in DC, you can pretty easily expect to dress as you do and expect to get some positive feedback. But a little different living in Idaho, nevada or some other rural place. But good for you for looking sharp. We need to keep that alive at least in our nations capital.

I live very rural, surrounded by few farms and stone cottages. Dressing up is difficult because it is almost impossible to get from my front door to the car without stepping into some kind of mud! So, usually I roam about in my 'tomboy' gear. (scruffy jeans, flat cap, old rugged flying jacket, walking boots etc ...) :rolleyes:

However, when I do dress up, its interesting because:
a) I can walk past people and they don't recognise me (all they usually see is a small creature with hat :D)
b) Everyone is even more polite :eusa_clap

To answer the initial question: Yes it would most certainly 'get me play' if I wanted to, even in these very rural places. But I am busy enough as it is! lol

Refering to what I quoted above:
Keep dressing up even if there are only 5 people around you! They may all of a sudden begin to do the same :)

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Refering to what I quoted above:
Keep dressing up even if there are only 5 people around you! They may all of a sudden begin to do the same :)[/QUOTE]

Funny you should say that, i have got a couple of the little girls in the cafe next to my shop wearing Rosie type headscartfs, they're coming round to my way of thinking slowly. ;)

Actually back on topic, i think it would be fair to say that as a woman regardless of the fact that most of the locals don't get my vintage attire, if i wanted 'play' in the broadest sense of the word, it would be there for the taking, but that's not my scene really. I would just like to meet someone with similar interests, who wants to 'get me' as a person if such a man exists, (or if indeed such a thing is possible). But i'm not going to sit around and bemoan my single status or just pass the time with some idle dalliances because i should be dating or whatever. Actually ceasing to even worry about even meeting anyone is rather liberating at the risk of sounding trite. :)

Auburn-Jane

New in Town
my ex hated it, during intimate moments it took him forever to get through all the layers of clothes, the stockings and such, no patience at all. Which really reminds me of the world and how everything has to be easy and instant like Mc Donalds.

That and him aside..I think people generally appreciate someone with a keen eye to style and dress, regardless of the era or culture. Even though Clothing and social norms constantly change. we always find ourselves looking to the past and trying to reinvent an ideal that had been lost or forgotten.:)

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Auburn-Jane said:
my ex hated it, during intimate moments it took him forever to get through all the layers of clothes, the stockings and such, no patience at all. Which really reminds me of the world and how everything has to be easy and instant like Mc Donalds.

Boys! I tell ya.

They rush to the chocolate cake rather than savor the delicious three-course meal. Instant gratification will kill this country, mark my words! :eusa_doh:

Sounds like good riddance to bad rubbish, no?

Packin' Heat

One of the Regulars
lol

Strangely enough, although I haven't had the pleasure of hooking up with a vintage gal, I've always looked as dress-wear as a boon in that department, both for women and men. I take my time with the procedure in the bedroom, which is why I put thought into picking out my underwear. I'm a big fan of the undoing of the tie.

Auburn-Jane said:
Just goes to show how few people truly appreciate the concept that "good things are well worth waiting for.";)

annet

One of the Regulars
my ex didn't really like it (we were together when i took my first baby steps into vintage fashion, searching thrift stores for pretty dresses)

but it wasn't so much the style or look that bothered him, it was the fact that i stood out and looked different from 'normal people'

my current boyfriend loves it, i inspire him to take the plunge into a vintae style. he thinks it's amazing that i always try to look tidy and good, no matter what day or occasion. and i love him for that :) his parents love it too, even when i just go to their place for a quiet evening with tea and a movie i put on a dress and do my hair.

oh, and my boyfriend REALLY loves my current fascination with lingerie and undergarments. he was on a long trip when i started to wear stockings and a garter belt, and you should have seen the look on his face when he first saw them!

Mr Badger

Practically Family
Actually ceasing to even worry about even meeting anyone is rather liberating at the risk of sounding trite. :)

Doesn't sound trite at all – in fact, when I stopped looking for Miss Right, I met her. We've been together almost a decade and got married over five years ago. When we met, my (much) better half was intrigued by my fascination with vintage clothing, and has gradually gotten quite seriously into it, rekindled/deepened her love for music, film and travel, and is generally pretty supportive of my strange cultural preoccupations. And I of hers.

She also loves the fact that I try and look good, even though she's right that I should shave more than a couple of times per month... it's a shame when your partner can't be proud that you look different, I mean, isn't that why they're with you? It's not as if you're forcing them to bungee jump on a regular basis!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy