Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Domestic vs Imported Flight Jackets

SteveZ

One of the Regulars
Mornin Everyone,

I realize this subject is a bit touchy to some but Im not an expert in flight jackets and dont know all the lingo that goes with it. To be perfectly honest, Im rather overwhelmed with all the imported ' knock offs ' of our beloved leather military style flight jackets in stores and on the web.

You really have to do your homework these days to figure out where this unique apparel is being manufactured. When that TOP GUN film was introduced, Holy Smoke , everybody thought that pilot and aircrew appearance was the coolest.

However, the Chinese who watches nearly every market trend, quickly discovered untapped wealth in cranking out these flight jackets and have saturated the market especially in the US.

I know that the LANDING LEATHERS brand is Chinese made and I suspect that AIRBORNE brand is a Chinese mark as well. However, I wanted to mention that this past summer I purchased 2 new flight jackets from US WINGS ( G1 and A2 ) and their very nice but I did notice that during the summer months that US WINGS was selling a very nice looking ( web site picture ) of a US NAVY G1 type jacket for 195 dollars in Goatskin but it wasnt available in a tall size. Huh ? How was that jacket sold so cheaply ? Could that be an import as well ? Perhaps not from China but I have noticed that many jackets are also manufactured in Pakistan.

Yes, I realize theres a few outstanding flight jacket manufacturers in Britain and most are excellent. I love those WW2 RAF flight jackets that Spitfire pilots wore. Beautiful !

Another thing, when a manufacturer or retailer advertises a jacket in FAUX leather, is that simply a clever name to describe artificial or fake leather ? Is Vinyl perhaps a better description ? You gotta admit, they keep improving the artificial stuff all the time !

Any stories or opinions ?

SteveZ

One of the Regulars
NOTE : This is a list of the NAVY type flight jacket manufacturers I found on the web. Some on this list most likely produced other jackets for the other armed services as well. However, were all these companies producing jackets under military contract ? Or did these jackets simply meet the MILITARY SPEC and were approved for wearing with uniform or flight suit ?

Any experts out there know how many of these companies are still in business today or bought out by another domestic or foreign apparel manufacturer ?

The makers of the jackets to military specifications, in rough chronological order from the current supplier to pre-WWII include

• PHARR BRAND NAME APPAREL (2004-current supplier),
  • EXCELLED SHEEPSKIN & LEATHER COAT CO., 1999–2004,
  • SCHOTT BROS., INC., 1998,
  • COOPER SPORTSWEAR MFG. CO., INC, 1989–1996,
  • BRILL BROS., INC., 1968–1987,
  • ORCHARD M/C DIST. INC., 1986,
  • FERGUSON OF OKLAHOMA, 1976,
  • IMPERIAL LEATHER & SPORTSWEAR INC., 1976,
  • IMPERIAL FASHIONS, INC., 1974,
  • THE MARTIN LANE CO., INC., 1968–1969,
  • GREGORY SPORTSWEAR INC., 1967,
  • IRVIN B. FOSTER SPTSWEAR CO., 1962–1963,
  • STAR SPORTSWEAR MFG. CORP., 1964–1967,
  • IRVIN B.FOSTER&SONS SPORTSWEAR CO., INC., 1961,
  • RALPH EDWARDS SPORTSWEAR, 1961–1964,
  • BREIER OF AMSTERDAM, INC., 1960,
  • CALIFORNIA SPORTSWEAR COMPANY, 1960,
  • CAGLECO SPORTSWEAR, 1957,
  • J.A.DUBOW SPORTING GOODS CORP.,
  • WERBER SPORTSWEAR, INC.,
  • A. PRITZKER & SONS, INC.,
  • AVIATORS CLOTHING CO., INC.,
  • B.-G. INC.,
  • STAR SPORTSWEAR MFG.CO. LYNN, MASS.,
  • BURJAC SPORTSWEAR INC.,
  • L.W.FOSTER SPORTSWEAR CO.INC.,
  • ARNOFF MFG. COMPANY,
  • AMERICAN SPORTSWEAR CO.,
  • BOGEN & TENENBAUM,
  • EDMUND T.CHURCH CO. INC.,
  • FRIED, OSTERMAN CO.,
  • GORDON & FERGUSON CO.,
  • H.&L. BLOCK,
  • WILLIS AND GEIGER INC.,
  • Monarch Mfg. Company.
  • Menthor Jackets Peru.
  • US WINGS Inc, Hudson OH

Last edited:

SteveZ

One of the Regulars
To be absolutely honest, I no idea there were so many companies involved over the years making military flight gear.

Hello!

Another thing, when a manufacturer or retailer advertises a jacket in FAUX leather, is that simply a clever name to describe artificial or fake leather ? Is Vinyl perhaps a better description ? You gotta admit, they keep improving the artificial stuff all the time !

Yep, faux leather is an artificial leather or more accurately, imitation of leather and yeah, it's generally made from some form of plastic polymer. Pricier ones even have pores, you know! Fake leather is not all that bad and it has some advantages, I guess - HD had a product line of their classic CR's made from PVC back in the 60's I believe, the cool ones that look exactly like the Buco J100, only with one pocket - but I would never wear anything made from it. Life is too short for that.

SteveZ

One of the Regulars
My wife bought a cheap import G1 at Amazon and I do wear it but only as a work jacket. Much easier cleaning fake leather with 409 or another general purpose cleaner instead of fixing real leather. Even if it gets torn or damaged, its not an expensive loss. As a matter of fact, next time I need a general work jacket, I'll pick one up on E Bay if its cheap enough.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
My dad has what I incorrectly assumed was a Cooper, but is instead an imported lambskin A-2ish jacket from the late 80s. Still going strong. Tbh you won't get that "cool as heck/easygoing" look from a high-end repro. I really like the thing and am trying to convince him to let me give it a once-over with conditioner, as it needs it badly, but he's live and let live.

SteveZ

One of the Regulars
My dad has what I incorrectly assumed was a Cooper, but is instead an imported lambskin A-2ish jacket from the late 80s. Still going strong. Tbh you won't get that "cool as heck/easygoing" look from a high-end repro. I really like the thing and am trying to convince him to let me give it a once-over with conditioner, as it needs it badly, but he's live and let live.

Im curious as to what brand you actually have. Does your dads coat have a label on it ?

nick123

I'll Lock Up
image.jpg
image.jpg
Im curious as to what brand you actually have. Does your dads coat have a label on it ?

It's made in Korea. I think the label has faded so I'm not sure of the maker. But I think it's great.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW