Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Don't you love this look...

anabolina

A-List Customer
The last couple episodes of Doctor Who took place in 1930s New York and I love the character, Tallulah's, hair.

Heres a pic...

8.jpg

and another one...
6.jpg

hey, why not...
3.jpg

Anyway, you wonderful gals have any ideas of the best way to duplicate this look. Keep in mind I as a klutz with my hair, I was so happy when I discovered the eminently expensive Bumble and Bumble Curl Conscious line because I could curl my hair with a few scrunches.

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
Now, I have relatively curly hair to begin with, but I can do something similar with loosely rolled pincurls that I either sleep in over night, or let set for at least 4 hours.

For product I use B+B Curl Conscious, and Matrix Spiraling spray gel on damp hair.

I would imagine foam rollers might do the trick as well, but other ladies here are far more versed than I in the way of the roller.

For further reading, might I highly recommend this community?:
http://community.livejournal.com/vintagehair/profile
Our own Lolita Haze is the mod. Pretty much anything I've ever learned about vintage hair was from over there, and my long gone Daniela Turudich book. The ladies are wonderfully helpful and kind and can answer any question.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I use Bumble and Bumble too. Love the Curly Mama lotion. However, like Beaucallou said I would do some loosely set pin curls, or you can do loosely set sponge rollers, rag rollers, sassy curlers, whichever your more comfortable wearing for a bit of time, preferably over night. Buy some setting lotion, everybody here uses Lottabody, the purple kind in the clear bottle. I use it directly on dry hair without diluting it. I just dampen a section with the setting lotion, curl, and sleep or sit under the bonnet for about an hour. I usually add the Curl lotion after I take the curlers out, they seem to help define the curls a bit more. Then some hair spray and shine serum, and if I don't keep fussing with it all day long out of sheer unemployed boredom, my hair usually stays set throughout the day:)

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I had my hair cut in a similar style and had good luck with Hot Sticks; my hair is quite straight, but when that short, hot sets tend to take quite well. The cold sets mentioned above work great as well. When using rollers, sticks, or rag curlers, I suggest rolling the hair under and towards your face to encourage the hair to fall neatly into place.

anabolina

A-List Customer
Thanks ya'll I don't have hot sticks, so I'll try the pin curls tonight. I actually tried to do pin curls just randomly for church on Sunday, but it was not meant to be. I think I used too much of the setting lotion because my hair was still pretty wet the next morning and even blow drying didn't help much. Anyway, wish me luck.

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
beaucaillou said:
Now, I have relatively curly hair to begin with, but I can do something similar with loosely rolled pincurls that I either sleep in over night, or let set for at least 4 hours.

For product I use B+B Curl Conscious, and Matrix Spiraling spray gel on damp hair.

I would imagine foam rollers might do the trick as well, but other ladies here are far more versed than I in the way of the roller.

For further reading, might I highly recommend this community?:
http://community.livejournal.com/vintagehair/profile
Our own Lolita Haze is the mod. Pretty much anything I've ever learned about vintage hair was from over there, and my long gone Daniela Turudich book. The ladies are wonderfully helpful and kind and can answer any question.

Wow! That is a really cool site about hair. Thanks for sharing. I'm pretty much unfamiliar with LiveJournal, but it looks pretty cool!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic