Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

double breasted waist seam jacket

Papperskatt

Practically Family
Cool fabric!

The shoulders are a bit too wide for me, but the fabric is interesting so I'm gonna watch this and see what happens. Maybe I'll put in a bid towards the end.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what trousers to wear with this? [huh]

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
The pockets look false, the flaps were laid flat on the fronts and stitched down. Also no attempt at pattern matching. Could this be a costume piece from a period drama (an older one, that is)?

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
_57_zpsdba50831.jpg

It looks like the flap was put on right sides together, the raw edge sewn, then turned down and stitched across the top. It just doesn't look like a normal pocket finish. I may be wrong, that's just how I read the photos.

Papperskatt

Practically Family
Isn't this just a frock coat? In germany we call them Gehrock. The pop up on german ebay frequently (in black)

Here is a singlie breasted one...
http://collections.lacma.org/node/213840
Yeah, I'd say it's a frock coat too. A very rare informal type of frock coat, however, with the short length, pockets and non-black colour, which makes it a bit more interesting than the usual formal black ones.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
quite right Flo... there were the waist seam suit jackets of the late teens (usually with s single vent) but this isn't one of those.

what i meant on the previous page was that frock coats are hard to date because they always look (at first glance) Victorian or Edwardian when they might be later.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
The pockets are functional, so an unusual method of sewing?

I wouldn't call it unusual... just more simple. I have seen similar pocket-flap treatment on overcoats.
I don't think this is a theater-piece, but a garment that should be seen rather as a type of short-coat rather than suit-jacket.

Yes. There was a wonderful badly listed suit I was outbid at £75 on eBay several years ago by a well known vintage dealer (and member here). It had a label from a Drury Lane costumers in their post 1943 iteration (1943 was incorporated into the company name). It was a "frock coat suit" - trousers and frock jacket - in brown herringbone tweed.

Mysteriously it reappeared a week later on eBay sans label and was fraudulently sold as "true vintage Victorian/Edwardian fantastic tweed suit" and went for £700 or so.

This one's (fro the OP) a beauty. Love the details and fabric.

what i meant on the previous page was that frock coats are hard to date because they always look (at first glance) Victorian or Edwardian when they might be later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters