Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DOUBLEDOWN, back off Baconator

LordBest

Practically Family
I wonder if this will be released in Australia. I rather hope so, I would be interested in trying one out of impartial, scientific curiosity.

Talbot

One Too Many
Mike in Seattle said:
It would probably go great with this...and I'm told that the Bloody Marys made with Bakon Vodka (yes, bacon flavored vodka!) are unbelievably yummy...
bloody_mary_left.gif

Bacon flavoured vodka. Damn!

Beats a Courvoisier and Coke I suppose.[huh]

J.B.

Practically Family
I enjoyed one of these this afternoon. It was quite delectable despite being on the salty side...

Double Down is one scrumptious fast-food offering and I'm sure looking forward to my next one. :) This will be one of KFC's top menu items, I'll bet!

Feraud

Bartender
You connoisseurs of the cholesterol can add a fragrant White Castle burger scented candle to your homes if it floats your boat..

http://gothamist.com/2010/05/05/white_castle_now_in_scented_candle.php
For those times when a series of comical misadventures keep you from visiting White Castle in person, here's the next "best" thing: A scented candle that "infuses the home with the steam-grilled aroma of America’s first fast-food hamburger." This limited-edition item went on sale Monday at $10 a pop, with the net proceeds going to benefit Autism Speaks. It is already sold out, but White Castle's website notes that it's only sold out "for now." Is that a threat or a promise? Early reviews are not specifically too good:

Those sick b******* at Grub Street somehow obtained one of these air soilers, and—defying all reason—took a match to it:

Even before we lit this thing, the wax emitted an acrid stench of caramelized onions (a colleague who didn’t know what she was smelling identified hints of “candied corn” — or perhaps high-fructose corn syrup?). When it’s lit, the flame produces a buttery aroma — as if you were baking a croissant and a sewer rat in the same oven. Even for hard-core cravers, the White Castle candle is a deeply nauseating experience...
The kicker, according to The Awl, is that before it sold out, every purchase of five scented candles came with a free air freshener. To be fair, we have yet to personally evaluate the candle's complex bouquet, so we're going to withhold judgment—at least until they make this sucker edible, like the infamous bacon fat candle.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

Had the double down today at lunch. If you wear braces, I'd suggest you don't try it. The guy I was with didn't have a good time with it. Fried Chicken, Bacon, and Cheese. If they somehow added rare steak to it.... :)

That was the good part, now for the other side...

KFC's side orders of green beans are kind of SMALL. You get a giant fistful of home fries, but only a half cup of green beans, and they're actually healthy. What's up with that? :(

Later Y'all

Creeping Past

One Too Many
1961MJS said:
KFC's side orders of green beans are kind of SMALL. You get a giant fistful of home fries, but only a half cup of green beans, and they're actually healthy. What's up with that?

$$$

Fat + salt + sugar = cheap

LordBest

Practically Family
KFC has beans in America? How frightfully decadent. All they sell here, that isn't fried potato, is mashed potato and coleslaw.

When you consider that baked beans are an American tradition both Johnny Reb and Billy Yank could agree on... (there's a reason Boston's called "Beantown", y'know!)

Never seen green beans at KFC on the US West Coast, just baked... but then again, I haven't been in one in a while, being usually a "Where's the Beef?" sort.

Chainsaw

Suspended
Everything is regional. The coleslaw and macaroni salad is even different from county to county. My favorite from Kentucky fried chicken was the sour dough bread. You could get a whole loaf for two bucks, and it was keep warm, and buttered. That and large gravy was an awesome snack, when I lifted weights.

1961MJS

GAWD I bet I could drink about a quart of their brown gravy. Twelve of the Colonel's Chicken wings, a quart of brown gravy, and sweet tea....:eusa_clap

I must be part Commie pinko, Mom from Kentucky, spent 5 years in Bama, and I STILL don't like white gravy. I THINK it's because it has the same ingredients as paste. My Dad eats it twice a week. [huh]

Later

Bruce Wayne

Chainsaw said:
Everything is regional. The coleslaw and macaroni salad is even different from county to county. My favorite from Kentucky fried chicken was the sour dough bread. You could get a whole loaf for two bucks, and it was keep warm, and buttered. That and large gravy was an awesome snack, when I lifted weights.

My personal favourite that KFC used to carry is the cornbread muffins they had. I still miss em. :(

Chainsaw

Suspended
Bruce Wayne, our Kentucky never had the muffins. Kenny Rogers was up here briefly, and they had the corn bread muffins. They were fantastic! Popeye's Chicken has those "biscuits" (but the gravys lousy) I'll eat a family pack of those.

And 1961MJS, the white gravy is the base for macaroni and cheese(atleast that's waht we use it for)! That's a french style sauce, and is just awesome.

I think Alabama country-gravy and Ontario white gravy are two different mixes--I wouldn't use the 'Bama stuff for mac 'n' cheese, while a bechamel or alfredo (both white sauces) I could see working well there.

Typically country-gravy has lots of black pepper and some sausage chunks in it IIRC... but then again, I'm no expert on regional foods either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran