Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Down With Love.

LadyStardust

Practically Family
Well, I've looked back many, many pages and I couldn't find anything on this, so I'm taking a chance and going ahead.

----

I've never been good at analyzing films, save on a few occasions, but I know when I like a movie. And that's the story for Down With Love. True, it's not Golden Era, but it's obviously got a retro (60s?) throw to it, snappy dialogue, clever quips, pretty fabulous costumes/outfits, good cinematography, a fun plot...in short, it "just works". Was wondering what you all thought, thought it would be interesting to discuss.

501432~Down-With-Love-Posters.jpg

Feraud

Bartender
Good choice. I saw this one when it came out and liked it. It is an homage to those titillating romantic comedies of the 50/60s era films like Lover Come Back, Man's Favorite Sport?, Pillow Talk, The Little Hut (possibly?) etc. Zellwegger is just o.k. but MacGregor steals the show.
I think it deserves another viewing.

Kim_B

Practically Family
"Down With Love" is on my list of rainy day movies...you know those days where you just don't feel like doing anything but staying home and getting cozy on the couch with some hot tea or hot cocoa? The first time I saw this movie I wasn't thrilled about it, but after each viewing I find new things to like about it (Ewan McGregor certainly being one of them).

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Love this film, saw it in the theater and I own the DVD. I think it's awfully underrated.

The sets and clothes are spot on and I also like haw the changes in her hair color reflect how Barbara's character changes.

The performances are lots of fun, particularly MacGregor and David Hyde Pierce, who are both darn near perfect. I agree that Renee is weaker than Ewan but the monologue where she reveals the plot twist is done brilliantly.

My favorite bit is the tv appearance at the very end where they sing "Down with Love". Great, great choreography, chemistry and lyrics. It's one of my top 25 on my ipod.

The commentary on the DVD is pretty good too, if anyone is interested.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
A blast from the past!

Renee Zellweger=Doris Day
Ewan McGregor =Rock Hudson
David Hyde Pierce=Tony Randall

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I thoroughly enjoyed this film.
I've explained to people that part of the fun is that the fashions and apartments aren't like people really had in the 50s/60s, they are what people had in movies from that time period.

Wonderfully cast and wonderfully played.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I was vegging in front of the tv when this movie came out and saw an interview and preview. The costumes were made for the movie. They didn't want to have to wear smelly old vintage stuff that belonged to someone's grandparents, they said. Or couldn't find any vintage that fit, I said. Good, more vintage for us to get at! Obviously I haven't seen the movie. I love Doris Day. It's at my library so maybe I will borrow it. Or not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko