Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dream ON

Status
Not open for further replies.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
In our over-stressed world, many of us have become obsessed with our personal sleep preferences and all of the accoutrements of sleep- from the color of our bedrooms, to the thread count of our sheets and the firmness of our mattress - one bedding manufacturer even helps people calculate their own sleep number!
For me, I'm not one who can simply lie down anywhere and conk out, my bedroom is my only place where I know I can get some good zzz's. I like a thin pillow that I can scrunch and fold at will and snuggle up with some great cotton sheets and a comfy comforter. The room needs to be a little bit on the cold side and absolutely no noise. The only sound that is soothing is the sound of a rain shower. Sleeping position is either side or back, stomach has always been way too uncomfortable!
How about you guys?

Strider

One of the Regulars
I've never lived a priveleged lifestyle, so I don't care how I sleep, as long as I sleep. Hell, I can sleep on pavement with no pillow. Trust me, I know.

Matthew Dalton

A-List Customer
I generally sleep on my side, sometimes on my stomach when it seems right. I like to have quite a few layers of sheet and blanket, so I’m weighed down a bit and can better adjust how warm I am. Ideally there is no light and no noise and my room is icy cold.
I’ve had to adjust to both here, light isn’t too big of an issue, but the noise really irritates me. My PC stays on all night now, the white noise of it tends do drown everything else out.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I can sleep anywhere, on a floor or sitting up or in a car. Preference is on my stomach or side, with a blanket. Pillow optional but I get cold.

When I'm in a bed I like to wrap myself in blankets (three or more) and cover my head. Even better if someone can walk into the room and be unsure if I'm in the bed or which way I'm lying.

However, invisibility has its risks. Camping, I was kicked several feet by someone who thought my Army green sleeping bag was luggage. I never woke up. lol

Viola

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Like Strider says, I can sleep anywhere if necessary, though my learning experience was by choice. Dry is the key, life is better when you aren't damp all the time.

Given my druthers I want it dark, I want it cold and I don't want people all up on me (I sleep warm which some have taken as an invitation to snuggle :mad: ). I sleep on my back and without much movement, learned that in Boot, made remaking my rack faster.

Honey Doll

Practically Family
As long as I'm on the right side of the bed. CANNOT sleep on the left side of the bed. It's my little OCD thing I guess.....

Honey Doll

Rosie

One Too Many
I can theoretically sleep anywhere. When I was younger, I feel asleep in front of a speaker at a club, not a joke. lol

I prefer to sleep, and this is the way my bedroom is set up: On silk or satin sheets, any cotton sheets have a sateen finish and at least 600 tc. I like to be cold so during summer, I run the air conditioner until its freezing in the room and will open my windows in the dead of winter. I like to sleep in a little made cocoon, wrapped up in sheets, blankets and only a small place for my face so that I can breathe. I like to sleep with lots of pillows, 8 all around the bed so that during the night I can roll over and put my head wherever I feel like. I also like it to be very dark and very quiet with the exception of my sound machine. I also prefer to sleep alone, when I have shared a bed with another person, I usually wake up grumpy and sleepy I'd rather sleep on the couch than with soemone else and have been known to kick people out of my bed, literally and figuratively.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
I've never been picky. Seldom had trouble sleeping on campouts as a Boy Scout. While earning my master's degree, I had a room at the far end of a storage building on my parents' property. Furniture was "as found", and I and slept for two years on an old couch with a fold-down back. I slept half the night with one shoulder in the groove where the back laid down, the other half the night I dropped the other shoulder in that groove. No problem.

I travel a fair amount professionally, and generally sleep well no matter where I am. As long as the bed's not so hard that I wake up aching in the middle of the night, I don't care much.

I think that today, we pretty-up and obsess over a lot of stuff that doesn't need to prettied or worried about. Simple is good. I am quite happy that I did NOT marry someone who dresses up the bedroom with pillow shams, frou-frou and stuff I'd have to chuck out of the way before I could get to bed.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
I sleep better with a goose down pillow (just one pillow for my head and one for between my legs to keep my hips stabilized). I have to sleep on my right side with my knees bent a little bit. If I ever fall asleep in any other position, then it can only be because I'm extremely zonked. The colder the room is the better (as long as I have adequate covers to keep me from becoming a popcicle. I love it when my dog curls up on the pillow next to my head. Something is comforting about that. I prefer 350 count sheets or hight. Cotton sateen is a favorite.

I do have trouble getting acclimated to sleeping in hotel rooms because I've seen those investigative news specials about how unclean hotel rooms are and knowing that they haven't washed the comforter since I the last guest just makes me a little weary and takes over my dream thoughts too much.

Brooksie

One Too Many
I seem to fall asleep best in chairs, watching tv or reading a book, having my hair blow dried at the stylist after a hair cut and even in the dentist chair while having my teeth drilled but as soon as I get into bed it's like I am wired on coffee even though I do not drink any and I just can not fall asleep!!!! This is the reason for many late night posts on the FL.

Brooksie

McPeppers

One of the Regulars
I can sleep anytime anyplace... but I prefer the "security square"
~~~~~~-------~~--------~~~~~~
~~~~~~| Pillow |~| Pillow |~~~~~~
~~~~~~-------~~--------~~~~~~
~~-----~~~~~~~~~~~~~-----~~
~|pillow|~~~~~~~~~~~~|pillow|~
~~-----~~~~~~~~~~~~~-----~~

In between ya can fit one or two people, two is always preferable if of opposite gender, if of same gender insert third optional buffer pillow. Tighten square to preference... slumber.

Zach R.

Practically Family
Ever since I was a little kid, I haven't been able to sleep well unless there was a box fan on full blast in the room, either pointed towards me or not. Light is highly detrimental to my sleep, if there is even a slightly brighter than normal clock on across the room, I just can't get to sleep. Also, I have lined curtains over the windows, which I promptly open when I get up, because I ironically prefer natural light over any artificial source.

I also like to sleep in a colder environment, because it is very comforting to have multiple layers of sheets and quilts above me, I just cannot see how some people can sleep with only a sheet covering them.

I tend to sleep on my back, or leaning slightly to one side or the other. The number of pillows is important as well: I need at least two under my head, one firm on the bottom and one down pillow on top, and also one relatively soft pillow on either side and one to put between my legs. A modified verson of McPeppers' "security square."

I feel like Patrick Bateman describing these things.lol

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
What a bizarre thread to discover at 12:30 a.m.....after a night of unpredictability....it's time to hit the hay. I really don't care which way I sleep...just so I don't disturb the dog....

RaasAlHayya

A-List Customer
Because of neck problems, I have to use a neck pillow. And I don't sleep well those rare times my husband has to be away for the night.

As long as I have my hubby to cuddle, my neck pillow, the cat on my feet, and a heavy blanket, I sleep really well.

--Leslie

Phobic

New in Town
I'm not very picky in general. The only thing I absolutely require is something to cover me, a blanket, a jacket, whatever, I just can't fall asleep without that extra layer.

But when allowed to be picky, I like a very firm bed (some people have called it a 2x4), an equally firm pillow, complete darkness, and jersey-cloth sheets. Then i sleep like the dead.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I sleep on my tummy, always have. I tend to have both arms over my head, with a pillow under my right armpit. I move alot in my sleep, cause Im a light sleeper and I will wake up to nearly anything.

But I can sleep sitting up, on my side, heck, one time I slept for an hour standing while bent over with my torso flat on the bed lol

Noise isnt anything. I use to need a radio on, now I dont mind silence. Light sleeper so if my brain is working overtime, I can hear every sigh and creak around me. But I also can zone sounds out.

I dont like light tho. I prefer dim areas for sleep, but I have slept in direct sun before :) I also have an 85lb dog, who LOVES to spoon me.

I function better on 9 hrs. of sleep exactly. 8 too little, 10, too much. Im totally refreshed on 9.:rolleyes: I RARELY get 9hrs.

Right now I live in a studio apt, but my walk in closet was so large I put my Queen size bed in it. I call it a room bed. It nice sleeping in a small enclosed space.

So I guess for me I can sleep just about any place, if need be.

LD

Elaina

One Too Many
Well as you can see by my posts I don't sleep all that much. I'm likely awake any time of the day or night, and the same goes for sleep.

I prefer a hard pillow, on my side, cold and covered head. Preferably alone, much to my husband's dismay. Not the way it works usually. Most of the time I fall asleep at my sewing machine, rolled back so my body forms a \ line due to an 18 hour regime of corset wear for my spine, head cradled in my arm for an hour or two at a time. Sunday's I usually sleep 22 of the 24 hours in my preferred way.

Elaina

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy