Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dream Your Vintage House

Viola

Call Me a Cab
This thread is for, not showing off finished rooms, like in the Show Us Your Vintage Home thread in Display Case, but for ideas, dreams, or works in progress of what you'd someday like to live with. I was thinking this could be a home thread for those of us, who, say, either can't paint or make the changes we want, or those who just don't have the budget for their big dreams (and who doesn't fall into that category?).

What kind of vintage home would you like? A cottage with roses? An Atomic rancher? A Streamline Deco triumph of modern materials?

And rooms: what do you desire? Collect? What's the feel you want?

You can play as many times as you want with different looks. And it doesn't have to be strictly vintage, it can be looks-right, like an MP3 cathedral radio or a computer armoire that's Hollywood Regency.

Here, I'll start. Right now I'm dreaming about a kitchen with a checkerboard floor, white/black. And painted white cabinets. And buttercup yellow appliances. I'd like mostly everything behind closed doors, but some yellow Fiestaware displayed on an open shelf: I love their rounded pitchers. I'd like to put a couple plants in the window over the sink, in hanging baskets. And I'd hang cafe curtains. I want to fit a dinette set with chrome trim in somewhere.

I wouldn't allow a stainless steel appliance to show its face!

Okay, that's it for my dream kitchen at the moment (until I redo it in a few posts with a different look) someone else play too so I don't feel so crazy. Doesn't have to be kitchens, it can be livingrooms, bedrooms, garages, conservatories, libraries, to thine own heart be true.

I'm an atomic rancher kinda guy myself. Red Barnboard, lannonstone on the bottom 5 feet of the house. I've designed up a house, I've been working on it for years, and I will have to scan my rough drawings of it onto the forums. It takes a mixture of modern styling and the 50's ranch styling. It appears as an average single story ranch home, but with a 3 car garage, but posesses the modern upgrade of an exposed lower level. I could write on and on about it, but I won't. The pics will be much better once I get them on here.

Brooksie

One Too Many
This has been forever my dream house - which is now a coffee shop in Portland Oregon.

PiedCow.jpg

Brooksie

JennyLou

Practically Family
My dream home

I've dreamt of my dream house since I was a little girl. This is a small description of it: A two story Victorian style house with a porch that wraps around at least half of the house. It would have a large yard with many trees and with a garden outside the kitchen door. All appliances would be vintage, probably 1930s. Actually everything- furniture, toys, etc.- inside the house would be vintage. The kitchen would be large and look like one that would be in an ad from a magazine in the 1930s. I would have a sewing room and enough rooms for all my kids to be comfortable. In the garage would be a 1937 Ford. I don't even own home right now so I'm a long way off from this dream house.

Brooksie

One Too Many
Viola said:
Oh, Brooksie, that is absolutely beautiful!

There are several more like it here in Portland - I am hoping one day to own one even though it is kind of impractical for one person to own a house this big but I can dream....

Brooksie

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Hmm... my vintage dream home is one-story, yellow with white trim, and window boxes under the front windows. A driveway with a planting strip between the wheel-paths. And a vintage car to park on it!

I think I need roses planted either up against the house in the front, or at the bottom of the front walk on an arbor. I'll pick vintage varieties for authenticity... or maybe some that just look vintage.... or maybe some, like 'Ingrid Bergman' and 'Marilyn Monroe' that are named after vintage celebrities.

JennyLou

Practically Family
Viola said:
Hmm... my vintage dream home is one-story, yellow with white trim, and window boxes under the front windows. A driveway with a planting strip between the wheel-paths. And a vintage car to park on it!

I think I need roses planted either up against the house in the front, or at the bottom of the front walk on an arbor. I'll pick vintage varieties for authenticity... or maybe some that just look vintage.... or maybe some, like 'Ingrid Bergman' and 'Marilyn Monroe' that are named after vintage celebrities.
Oh yes, roses. a vintage house needs roses.

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
Well...

My house would be something like a Folk-Victorian style farm house, 2-3 stories, wrap around porch, detached garage, exterior style large kitchen, 4-6 bedrooms,4 .5 bathrooms. Small foyer with closet, living room off to the right with pocket doors, and a large fireplace. A small (open) study on the bottom floor, then a spacious family den. There would be wood paneling, with corner columns in the ground floor study. The dining room would be off the kitchen...the flow of the house would be something like a semi circle.

Stairs would be off the foyer to the left. Upstairs would be bedrooms, guest rooms, etc. Decorated in the golden era. There would be a secret study upstairs off of the master bedroom, which would then lead to a network of passages through out the home, and down to the ground floor study in the case of emergency.

The backyard would (or acreage) would be full of trees, with a tire and swing bench just like when I was a lad. There would be an ample victory garden as well.

I've drawn it a handful of times, each time adding something different.

Brooksie

One Too Many
Brooksie said:
This has been forever my dream house - which is now a coffee shop in Portland Oregon.

PiedCow.jpg

Brooksie

I thought I better add that my house would not have the neon in the window, the beer signs or the big hookah sign out front like the Pied Cow doeslol - I should also mention that the Pied Cow is a coffee shop and more! Also that thing in the back that looks like another house crammed in the back is I believe the carraige house which they later added a fireplace and would also be too cool to own but it is all one property. This house really fits my goth alter ego.

Brooksie

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Deco!

My dream home is sort of what I'm trying to turn my present place into. Since I live in New York, I want a place that screams 1940. Deco woodwork on the walls, similar to the Queen Mary staterooms. Deco sconces on the walls as well. I want it to look like maybe Captain Midnight or some other disguised superhero lives a quietly urbane and sophisticated life there, while down his special private elevator he can leap into his specially jazzed up 1941 Buick Century and take off to apprehend evil doers. :)
Now, on the other hand, if I had a place in the country, it would be classic Greek Revival, with four huge white Doric columns in the front, and tall, energy inefficient, multi paned windows all over the place.

This, fully automated so as to no longer require a crew the size of my alma mater's student-body:
n28993.jpg

USS Nashville CL-43, Brooklyn class, 604' long x 61' beam.

Or one of these:
314-2.jpg

Boeing 314 Clipper, twelve built in 1938. All but two scrapped, those are both on the ocean bottom and plans are afoot to raise one and possibly both for restoration.

Or, if I could find enough room aboard to squeeze in living space:
2220111635_22b6984f46.jpg

Martin P6M Seamaster, the world's fastest flying-boat--only weakness is, like the 314, not amphibious.

OTOH, long as I'm pipedreaming about Doc Brown's DeLorean and a blank-check budget, why not the incomplete hull of one of the last two Iowa-class battleships (Kentucky and Illinois were never finished; IIRC Illinois's engines are aboard the SS United States), refitted to combine the best of the old and the new?

Are we detecting a recurring theme of "mobility" yet?lol Too bad all of the above are razor-blades or other scrap-metal now... And before an off-topic foul is called, we already had a houseboat posted--all I'm doing is riffing on that theme.
----------------
Now playing: History Channel Club - Strauss: Thus Spake Zarathustra
via FoxyTunes

Macheath

One of the Regulars
I haven't thought it out beyond the study, but mandatory in this room:

-Floral wall paper
-Unfinished wood floors
-A fireplace
-A leather wingback chair
-A grandfather clock
-A Schnauzer

PistolPete1969

One of the Regulars
For me, my dream vintage house would be the "atomic ranch". I grew up in a ranch house, and delight in its simplicity and practicality. Everything on one level has great appeal to me. Of course being in the Midwest, it would have to be of Indiana limestone.

Having said that, let me be clear; I love the charm & character of Victorian & Craftsman houses. However, Victorian homes are too labor-intensive to maintain, IMHO. Craftsman I can live with.

Once again, this is just my two cents.

Pete

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails