Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress Labels

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Hiya~
Just wondering what the label says in some of your garments and if we might have some by the same maker.

A few of my favorite day dresses are by Nelly Don and Annetta. Most of them don't have a label and/or appear to be hand made. Some have the union made label.

Argh.. now that I've brought this up, I have a lot of garments packed up so I can't even look. Oh well, will still be fun to see what others say!

Nikki

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
I also have a R & K Originals, fits well. I have a Loungee's, see those often on ebay and since I'm heavily into vintage Hawaiian many Alfred Shaheen and Kamehameha. I would have to look through my wardrobe for more. I know many have lost their labels over the years too,

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Ooh! Fun thread--I'll have to check my lables. I love the graphics on them too--the old fonts and occaisonally you'll get a spot illustration.

Foofoogal

Banned
I went thru a big "Swirl" phase last summer. Will see if it still holds in the Spring for me. Had fun tracking the dresses down. It is all in the find for me. lol
Was surprised in the difference in the sizes though. Some were for taller woman and I am petite.

epr25

Practically Family
I will have to take a look. I know the ones previously mentioned I have. R&K, Nelly Don, some of my favorites. I have some Montgomery Wards Dresses. What about Lilli Ann.

Also I was wondering about "the French Room". Some of my better my more formal I guess garments have the store name and then the french room after that. I just assumed that was maybe the fancier section of the store. More special occasion or higher end? What do you guys think?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
My favorite blue suit, c. 1942, has a "Marcelle Millat -- Paris -- New York" label. I've tried for years to track down any information about her, but all I've found is her phone number in the 1944 Manhattan Yellow Pages. Anyone ever heard of her?

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
epr25 said:
Also I was wondering about "the French Room". Some of my better my more formal I guess garments have the store name and then the french room after that. I just assumed that was maybe the fancier section of the store. More special occasion or higher end? What do you guys think?

A lot of times better department stores had a "French Room" which had copies of French couture styles. They were a better section. You'll see shoes sometimes with this labeled inside one of the pair as well.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I too have an R&K dress that I adore and I have seen them a lot, both on Ebay and in stores. I also have skirts by Tailorbrooke and Alex Coleman, and dresses by Betty Barclay, Miss Johara, Serbin of Florida, Sherry Kent, Cay Artley, and Top Mode Frocks.

About half of my vintage items were either homemade or items that no longer have a maker's label but do still have a union label or size tag.

Fancy Mouse

Familiar Face
Lauren said:
A lot of times better department stores had a "French Room" which had copies of French couture styles. They were a better section. You'll see shoes sometimes with this labeled inside one of the pair as well.

Ah, I have a couple of pairs of (50s?) shoes by Chandlers French Room Originals.

Laughing Magpie

One of the Regulars
I love my R&K Original dresses! They are simple, but flattering. Betty Rose makes nice jackets (so does Lilli Ann of course). I have one velvet Jonathan Logan dress that I loved wearing over the holidays.

One of my favorite labels is 'A Champagne original of New York' (I think that's the wording) that's on a great party dress. And I bought a dress and bolero set once almost entirely because it was 'Jennifer Jrs of Dallas' (my name is Jennifer, so I took it as a sign :) )

LizzyMaine - that is soo cool that you found your dressmaker's phone number in the yellowpages like that. I didn't realise you could access old yellow pages - did you find it through the public library?

Jen

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Laughing Magpie said:
I love my R&K Original dresses! They are simple, but flattering. Betty Rose makes nice jackets (so does Lilli Ann of course). I have one velvet Jonathan Logan dress that I loved wearing over the holidays.

One of my favorite labels is 'A Champagne original of New York' (I think that's the wording) that's on a great party dress. And I bought a dress and bolero set once almost entirely because it was 'Jennifer Jrs of Dallas' (my name is Jennifer, so I took it as a sign :) )

LizzyMaine - that is soo cool that you found your dressmaker's phone number in the yellowpages like that. I didn't realise you could access old yellow pages - did you find it through the public library?

Jen

Libraries are a good source for tracking such things down, but I also have a small collection of old phone books -- you never know when they'll come in handy!

I've got a nice Betty Rose suit myself -- very soft brown flannel that I should wear more often.

Some other labels that come to mind --

My favorite fitted jacket is a Peck and Peck, which seems to be a label that turns up fairly often -- my evening bag also came from there.

I used to have some very nice Puritan dresses -- we had a Puritan store in the town where I grew up, and my grandmother was a regular shopper there, but it went away in the early 70s and is sadly missed. A very classy old-school "women's store."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24