Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress Like Cary Grant NOW

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

... that is, if you want to.

Because the fact is that Cary Grant is perhaps the only old-time movie star whose way of dressing can be emulated quite easily ... and with today's clothes. Why? Because Grant almost never went to fashion extremes. His ties were simple and usually solid-colored. His suits had clean lines, with classic patterns and colors which can still be found in stores today. Cary Grant wore white, moderate spread-collared shirts and loafers. A trip to Brooks Brothers, a better department store, and the Internet -- or even a charity/hospital thrift store in a wealthy part of town -- will yield these things. Look for Ralph Lauren items; look for J. Crew. Want to save cash? Seek and ye shall find the above brands in outlet stores, on the 'Net, on eBay, and at the thrifts.

Does this mean that the clothes will fit your body as well as they did Grant's? Probably not. But then again, Cary Grant was a movie star with tailors, and he lived in a high-armhole world. We are not so fortunate.

So ... dress like Cary Grant, if you wish. Because the fact is, you can.

Some photos to study:

image.jpg

thumb.jpg

rumors.jpg

Notorious_-_ingrid_bergman_and_cary.gif

hepburn2.jpg

grant.jpg

eric_bachelorandthebobbysoxer2.jpg

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I like this a lot:

Cary_Grant_58-748093.jpg

I may try to imitate that soon myself.

Grant dressed in a classic style that has stood the test of time. He doesn't look 'retro' or 'vintage' in an overt way. I know it's been discussed here in the past (and see the article in Classic Style), but if anyone doesn't have the Torregrossa book you need to get it.

Edit: Funny, I was typing my post before the ones above were posted. Great minds!

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Torregrossa's book does a fine job of distilling Grant. (The actor, not the scotch.)

I think that you can't go wrong with CG's style of dressing. Sure, the colors that suited his skin tone and hair may not suit yours, but the clothes themselves would look good on just about any one of us.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
You can dress likie Cary Grant now because Cary always moved witht eh time. In the 70's his trouser had a bell flare. In the 60's hi lapels were narrower, in the 30's his suits were striped and double breasted and in the 40's his jackets were heavy.

I think he was always at the cusp of what everyman thought looked proper and his edge with clothes came not just from his presence though from his attention to making all the details come out perfectly.

I like James Stewart looks myself.

he had great posture as well
c-33%20w%20cary%20grant%202.jpg

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Matt Deckard said:
... Cary always moved with the time. In the 70's his trouser had a bell flare. In the 60's hi lapels were narrower, in the 30's his suits were striped and double breasted and in the 40's his jackets were heavy.

True, but in one key sense Cary remained constant. He stuck to simple or solid-colored ties and shirts, and muted suit tones. Whenever his suits or sportcoats had patterns, they were counterbalanced by the solid shirts and ties. Grant never deviated from this.

Jimmy Stewart was cool people, but he regrettably experimented with polyester in the '70s -- as did Bob Hope, John Wayne, Gregory Peck, Rock Hudson and a host of others. As far as I can tell, Cary Grant never did.

Stoney

Practically Family
I'll second that

I'm a real James Stewart fan as well.
He was a great actor whose range allowed him to play a wide array of roles.

Got to admit that Cary Grant was perhaps the all time best dressed guy.

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
One strange thing about Grant's hats were that you rarely see him in the wide brim, tall crown hat that we connect with the era- in his Hitchcock films, Philadelphia Story, His Girl Friday, etc. , I seem to remember him wearing lower crowned hats, sometimes porkpies, with narrower brims...Then again, you rarely see him in a hat to begin with...it's always his perfectly parted hair or toussled fringe when he is distressed (a la Arsenic & Old Lace)

Creased real low:
Annex20-20Grant20Cary_18.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Marc Chevalier said:
If we wore these kinds of clothes day in and day out, we'd become comfortable in them ... and that sense of ease would show.

I agree. I wore jacket and tie through grammar and highschool (slacked off in the college years;) ) and consequently I feel very comfortable in tailored clothing (suits and jackets).

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Marc Chevalier said:
Jimmy Stewart was cool people, but he regrettably experimented with polyester in the '70s --Cary Grant never did.

No, not with polyester.

Jay

Practically Family
Marc Chevalier said:
Jimmy Stewart was cool people, but he regrettably experimented with polyester in the '70s --Cary Grant never did.

Yeah, but didn't Cary Grant experiment with LSD instead? Or was that earlier...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner