Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress shirts ... just dress shirts

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Buttons were on the back of collarless shirts since before the turn of the century. This is to attach a collar.

As far as shirt with attached collars, I'm only aware of them having a button that goes through the back of the collar as a more recent addition.

Matt Deckard said:
I have seen a few pics of the Duke of Windsor wearing Tab Collars. They create a nice high collar look like you'd get with a detachable.

They do. The Duke of Windsor favored them, and so does Donald Rumsfeld (a pretty odd pairing).

The points of the '20s-'30s tab collars form a 90 degree angle; they have a square look to them. On tab collar shirts from the early 1990s, however, the collar points are much pointier.

-- Marc

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Some pics: vintage collars and back collar buttons.

'40s German Army shirt-
Shirt1.jpg

-back collar button-
Shirt2.jpg

And another-
Shirt3.jpg

Shirt4.jpg

'30s Pendleton
Shirt5.jpg

Shirt6.jpg

'40s Gab-
Shirt7.jpg

'40s Chambray-
Shirt8.jpg

'40s Pendleton-
Shirt9.jpg

'40s Uniform-
Shirt10.jpg

B
T

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Very cool picture. I must say that button setup is very different than what you see on dress shirts from the early 60's. I think the styles could be unrelated though I could be wrong.

The fact that the button goes below the collar could mean it is meant for some sort of military uniform function I'm unaware of. We need answers!

Blue Bayou

New in Town
4+" tight long point collar, like in Joe Pesci in Goodfellas

What do they call (& where can I find) a (presumably Italian) dress shirt like the one worn by Joe Pesci in Goodfellas? (See promo poster shots of him)
It was a VERY long point collar, so close together that the knot of his tie was UNDER, rather than above it.

otterhound

One of the Regulars
Neville Chamberlain

I always find it interesting to see pictures of Neville Chamberlain and his collars. Here is a picture of him from 1940.
osc03c.jpg
See how his collar seems to be from around 50 years earlier? What is this, a detached wing collar? Was anyone except him wearing them in 1940?

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
"I rather like these collars, my good man. If they were good enough for Grandfather, they're good enough for me. Why, that fellow Hitler, just last week, told me it was a very nice collar. I think we can trust this chap, he's a right fellow..."

G. Fink-Nottle

One of the Regulars
Yes, it is. The four pictured here (Halifax, R.A. Butler, Chamberlain and Kennedy) represent the absolute worst in Inter-War politicians. Their clothing is their only positive attribute.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Nice gut there on Joe Kennedy! And leave it to a Yank to wear such flashy stripes on formal trousers. Lord Halifax seems the best-dressed of the four.

Seriously, in answer to the wing collar question, it was very typical (in the '30s) for this collar style to be worn by diplomats the world over. Japanese diplomats wore wing collars and morning suits as late as the 1950s. And though Chamberlain was Prime Minister in '38, he tended to dress like a diplomat.

3PieceSuitGuy

One of the Regulars
It looks to me like...

they are all wearing detachable collars, heavily starched ones too. Love the morning suits! The man in the unbuttoned db does look sloppy though!

Cheers

Peter

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy