Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Driving in leather jackets. Seat belt abrasions.

hafor123

Familiar Face
Hi there,

Would like your input do you all take off your jackets while driving with seatbelt?

Noticing a few deep abrasions on my jackets where the seat belt sits and moves.

Curious to hear your thoughts!

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Hi there,

Would like your input do you all take off your jackets while driving with seatbelt?

Noticing a few deep abrasions on my jackets where the seat belt sits and moves.

Curious to hear your thoughts!
What kind of jackets are you wearing, lambskin?

I find it hard to believe that a seat belt would cause deep abrasions on horse goat or cowhide.

Can you share pics of the damage?

I wear my jackets while driving all the time. The only 'issue' is that the back of the jacket might crease in an x like pattern.

Mickiemac

One of the Regulars
I've never had an issue with either vehicle when driving while wearing a leather jacket. The restraint belt is (should be) height adjustable to ensure a proper fit. The only issue I've had with my Aero Type-3 jackets in particular is the buttons on the side adjustment tabs rubbing against the side bolster of the seat back. I resolved that by sliding a T-shirt over the seat back and problem solved!

jeo

One Too Many
I don’t take my jacket off when driving.

I’ve seen teacore jackets fade where the seatbelt touches and moves on the jacket , but abrasions?

The wear patterns on your jacket represent your lifestyle and seat belt fading is part of that.

For me it’s more right elbow fades as I tend to rest my elbow on the middle console.

ChewingWax

One of the Regulars
It never even occurred to me that a seat belt could damage a leather jacket. None of my jackets have been injured in this way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner