Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dumbest movie quotes

Hercule

Practically Family
We all know why we're here - we simply love old movies and can't get enough of them. But let's face it, many of them have some pretty incongruous elements about them, not least of which are lines that from today's vantage point seem pretty dumb (not that that effects our enjoyment of them one bit!). So what are some candidates for seemingly dumb, outrageous or downright odd lines from the classic movies we all know and love.

I'll offer "shall we smoke on it" from Now Voyager.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
I can't remember exact lines but recall watching Love is a Many Splendored thing (awful movie - schmaltz overload) and the dialogue for Asian family was so stilted and corny e.g. "We shall now have tea and speak of absurdities." I've watched that particular scene a couple of times and it never fails to raise some laughs!

St. Louis

Practically Family
From Casablanca (I don't remember who says this) -- to a young couple who have just escaped from the Nazi invasion of Eastern Europe, "Go back to Bulgaria." My brothers and I first watched this when we were kids, and to this day, whenever someone does something particularly self-destructive in our family, we tell them to go back to Bulgaria.

BigFitz

Practically Family
Here's a few from the wonderfully bad "Plan 9 from Outer Space"
plan9fromouterspace.jpg

Lieutenant John Harper: But one thing's sure. Inspector Clay is dead, murdered, and somebody's responsible.

Paula Trent: I've never seen you in this mood before.
Jeff Trent: I guess that's because I've never been in this mood before.

Paula Trent: ...A flying saucer? You mean the kind from up there?
Jeff Trent: Yeah, either that or its counterpart.

Air Force Captain: Visits? That would indicate visitors.

Lieutenant John Harper: Kelton, Get down there and check it out?
Patrolman Kelton: Well, how do I do that sir?
Lieutenant John Harper: By going down there and checking it out!
Patrolman Kelton: Aww, why do I always get the spook details?

decojoe67

One of the Regulars
It's actually more funny than dumb, but it's dumb :)
Buddy Lester in the "The Big Mouth": "I'm going to make so sure he's dead that even if I doubt it, I won't"

I'm with Tom about the line and the movie.
However Steve your nitwit remark was uncalled for. Your surely entitled to your opinion but no need to call folks nitwits because there idea of a good quote is not in line with your idea of one.
We all have opinions however from your nitwit remark it becomes clear that some of us are lacking in MANNERS.( JUST MY OPINION).
Best regards
CCJ

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
As much as I love Casablanca (and I do), I hate that line by Captain Renault where he says that if he were a woman, he'd be in love with Rick, too. What a dumb line, in a brilliant movie.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
As much as I love Casablanca (and I do), I hate that line by Captain Renault where he says that if he were a woman, he'd be in love with Rick, too. What a dumb line, in a brilliant movie.

Well, it's not something I would have said either, but Rick is like the most interesting man alive, "Women want me, men want to be me" or something to that effect.

Later

Here's a few from the wonderfully bad "Plan 9 from Outer Space"
plan9fromouterspace.jpg

Lieutenant John Harper: But one thing's sure. Inspector Clay is dead, murdered, and somebody's responsible.

Paula Trent: I've never seen you in this mood before.
Jeff Trent: I guess that's because I've never been in this mood before.

Paula Trent: ...A flying saucer? You mean the kind from up there?
Jeff Trent: Yeah, either that or its counterpart.

Air Force Captain: Visits? That would indicate visitors.

Lieutenant John Harper: Kelton, Get down there and check it out?
Patrolman Kelton: Well, how do I do that sir?
Lieutenant John Harper: By going down there and checking it out!
Patrolman Kelton: Aww, why do I always get the spook details?

I actually find these quotes to be more funny than dumb. I would ascribe the label Dumb Funny over plain ol' Dumb.

I'd argue that one and guess I'm one of the nitwits. One of my favorite lines from one of my favorite movies.

I agree with you and not with the you are a nitwit. It is a line which makes me chuckle and if that makes me a nitwit, I am a happy chuckling nitwit not one bit offended by the fact that others are not entertained by such a line as I.
:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW