Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dunkirk

Doc Average

One of the Regulars
If you are interested in Dunkirk, you should read this book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dunkirk-The-They-Left-Behind/dp/1845299779/ref=tmm_pap_title_0

(I must admit to having a vested interest in this, as I am the author)

This'll be in my dad's Christmas stocking this year! A friend of his (his pipe-major in fact) was in the 51st Highland Division and was captured at Dunkirk.

Co-incidentally I just bought Blitz Kids the other day, mainly for the chapters on the RN and Merchant Navy. My grandad joined up when he was 16 in 1943 (my avatar shows him my back in 1944 when he'd just made Senior Rating). I think he was in the Merchant Navy too at some point after the war. He died in 1985 when I was 14, before I had any real chance to ask him what his life was like back then, so I bought Blitz Kids to fill in the blanks so to speak!

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Cheers. Once you've read it, I'd love to know your thoughts on 'Blitz Kids'. I thoroughly enjoyed writing the sections on the Merchant Navy since it was a subject I knew very little about.

As a result of my research, and telling my son about what I had found out, has influenced him and made him very keen on going to sea. He is spending the whole of next week at sea on a Sea Cadets training ship. That will either make him or break him!

If you are interested in getting copies of any of my other books (at a reduced rate), send me a PM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner