Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dunlap Drive-In

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Colorful Dunlap Stratoliner clone

Very nicely colored Dunlap Stratoliner clone (I guess). The felt is charcoal grey, the ribbon, edge binding and the button of the wind trolley are in some kind of red/magenta, the string of the trolley is blue.

The felt is really thin, soft and supple, making this an extremely lightweight hat.

Looks like it has never been worn. No stains, no moth tracks - perfect condition.

Brim 2 5/8"
Crown 5 1/2" open, 4 1/2" creased

I'd love to hear your thoughts about the age of the hat.

dunlap.jpg

billysmom

One Too Many
Mario said:
Very nicely colored Dunlap Stratoliner clone (I guess). The felt is charcoal grey, the ribbon, edge binding and the button of the wind trolley are in some kind of red/magenta, the string of the trolley is blue.

The felt is really thin, soft and supple, making this an extremely lightweight hat.

Looks like it has never been worn. No stains, no moth tracks - perfect condition.

Brim 2 5/8"

dunlap.jpg

WOW, Mario! Just ............. WOW!

Sue

Mario said:

Brim 2 5/8"

Wow that is a real beauty! Such pristine condition :eusa_clap :eusa_clap !

buler

I'll Lock Up
Forty

Here is a very nice Dunlap Forty possibly with original box. Has the "custom edge" mark on the sweat like a Knox Twenty but in comparing this to my Knox Twenty's, the felt is more dense and clay-like. You can definitely tell the difference. When I saw the Pragers retailer mark I knew I had another hat from there.... turns out its the Dunlap Superior that I started this thread with.

B

forty_box.jpg

forty_1.jpg

forty_2.jpg

forty_3.jpg

forty_4.jpg

forty_5.jpg

forty_6.jpg

forty_7.jpg

forty_9.jpg

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Wow, Buler -- that truly is a fantastic lid. Just beautiful!

For the record, let's see how that sticker on your Dunlap compares to those on the Knox 20 and Dobbs 20, respectively:

Dunlap 40

forty_5.jpg

Knox 20

cream_10.jpg

Dobbs 20

DobbsTag2.jpg

All have the same block and depth...;)

Cheers,
JtL

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Dunlap 40

Well, the Dunlap 40 posted above by Buler has made it to my doorstep. :) This hat is in absolutely beautiful condition. The felt is a medium thickness, incredibly soft and smooth. Comparing this lid to a Dobbs 20 -- the felt is more dense and the finish is smoother. Also there is an added degree of softness to the feel (it very much reminds me of feeling the difference between rabbit fur and beaver fur at the Winchester factory). I am already a huge fan of the "20" quality of felt, and the "40" is truly exceptional. Comparing it to my Dobbs 100 -- the "100" is substanially more dense, with a glass-smooth finish, and also a bit stiffer (although I imagine this aspect would change over time with more handling and wearing). Overall, however, in the vintage spectrum, I'd have to say that the "40" is really extraordinary.

The color on this lid is beautiful -- a cinammon brown with just a hint of red to it. This one will see a lot of noggin time...;)

Buler has done a nice job of chronicling this lid's features in the photos above. Here are a few post-creasing photos...

Dunlap-R.jpg

Dunlap-C.jpg

Dunlap-L.jpg

Dunlap-R2.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

buler

I'll Lock Up
jimmy the lid said:
Well, the Dunlap 40 posted above by Buler has made it to my doorstep. :) This hat is in absolutely beautiful condition. The felt is a medium thickness, incredibly soft and smooth. Comparing this lid to a Dobbs 20 -- the felt is more dense and the finish is smoother. Also there is an added degree of softness to the feel (it very much reminds me of feeling the difference between rabbit fur and beaver fur at the Winchester factory). I am already a huge fan of the "20" quality of felt, and the "40" is truly exceptional. Comparing it to my Dobbs 100 -- the "100" is substanially more dense, with a glass-smooth finish, and also a bit stiffer (although I imagine this aspect would change over time with more handling and wearing). Overall, however, in the vintage spectrum, I'd have to say that the "40" is really extraordinary.

The color on this lid is beautiful -- a cinammon brown with just a hint of red to it. This one will see a lot of noggin time...;)

Buler has done a nice job of chronicling this lid's features in the photos above. Here are a few post-creasing photos...

Cheers,
JtL

And you bought the hat flowers. Thats a nice touch! Can't wait to see it on you!

B

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner