Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Durable cotton t-shirts to pair with leather jackets

Edward

Bartender
@Edward, good question!

However, given the same economic malaise and shrinking population that makes kimono sales plummet, the market for rightwing group 'uniforms' has also shrunk, and 'clever' tabi sock manufacturers have worked out that if they make larger sizes, foreigners will buy them.
It's kind of like Green Tea Kit-Kats; foreigners understand this familiar object, but it has a Japanese 'twist'.

You should be ok wearing them in the U.K.

I've often said "everything is political", but I don't think I've ever applied it to socks before! Thanks, that's interesting to learn. Also never seen the original-type tabi before; I was indeed thinking of the modern, stretch version. Those are some connections I'd certainly prefer to avoid, though...

(Interesting that Japan has abandoned the bamboo scaffolding - modern H&S legislation? They're still widely used in Hong Kong, but Chinese territories, including the SAR, aren't big on H&S!)

Just received my Whitesville T shirts and TBH was disappointed in the fit and fabric

Ordered XXL as I'm a 44/45 chest and whilst the chest fitted OK the arms actually had fabric bunched up in the pit area ... not a good look.

Fabric weight wasn't as good as the Dickies Workwear I'm used to but did like the fact there were no side seams

Also the stiching contrast colour was odd ... certainly an aquired taste

So they are on the way back - def not worth the cost to me

Interesting the lack of seams (ringspun?) is seen as a luxury option these days. I would have assumed it was more complex or expensive to produce, but I have some cheap vests I bought in Peacocks that are made that way, so.... ?

Big J

Call Me a Cab
@Edward, steel scaffolding? It's an attempt to bolster demand for Japanese steel during almost 20 years of economic stagnation, when to be frank, if the Japanese steel industry is uncompetitive, it should restructure instead of continuing a 40 year old business model.

SimonR

One of the Regulars
Interesting the lack of seams (ringspun?) is seen as a luxury option these days. I would have assumed it was more complex or expensive to produce, but I have some cheap vests I bought in Peacocks that are made that way, so.... ?
Ditto ... my cheap amazon vests are ringspun ... I think the dearer versions are perhaps less prone to loosing shape ... I've ordered a pack of the Kirkland to see what they are like as my wrangler cowboy cut jeans show you don't always have to pay top money :)

Dav

One Too Many
$160 IH, obviously the best thing to wear to repair stone work ;)
Must admit I'm just not really a t-shirt guy these days, but this morning what heck.
IMG_20190627_120848-2112x2816.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Ditto ... my cheap amazon vests are ringspun ... I think the dearer versions are perhaps less prone to loosing shape ... I've ordered a pack of the Kirkland to see what they are like as my wrangler cowboy cut jeans show you don't always have to pay top money :)

Jinkies, yes. I have soem lovely, expeinsive jeans sitting waiting for me to lose as couplec of stone, but when I wantec some to wear for now, Herself went online and found the Wrangler Cowboy Cut. Frankly, for me these are the discovery of the century, so far - vintage cut (unchanged since 1947), good quality and not scary expensive? The Holy Trifecta! I'm practically evangelical about mine. I'm even considering buying a pair of black jeans for the first time in well over a decade...

$160 IH, obviously the best thing to wear to repair stone work ;)
Must admit I'm just not really a t-shirt guy these days, but this morning what heck.
View attachment 174777

The dye effect round the neck is interesting. Is that replicating an original T?

John Lukich

New in Town
Fit pic of the Lady White, size S. I typically wear a 36 in jackets. Definitely a trim look, but I think I can get away with it. Very comfortable to wear, so far. In reality, the real test will be how I feel about it a year from now. Do I reach for it often? Or does it sit in the dresser for months at a time? First impressions are really good, for now.

IMG_20190627_205121.jpg

Colin G

One Too Many
People take their shoes off every time they go indoors (offices, restaurants, school, etc) so socks are on display all day for everyone to see! Dirty soled white socks will put a social millstone around the wearers neck for life. People here take their sock choice seriously. Ladies go out wearing strappy heels, but have socks in their bag incase they go indoors.

Big J, it is a shoes off party up here in Canada too, for the most part. If I ever came in the house and kept my shoes on, my mother would give me a verbal lashing and a nasty side eye look that would stop me in my tracks. Now when my wife comes in and keeps hers shoes on, even just to grab something quick, I let her have it.

No shoes worn inside my house.

Last edited:

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
I really appreciate shoes-off-indoors cultures. Really do. And offering guest footwear at the door is plain ol' smart. In my experience, the only people who begrudge the custom, or request, are people who have never cleaned a house for themselves. The types who benefited from other people doing certain types of community work and have no real appreciation for it being actual work. What they do is work, but everyone else doing anything different is something other than work. I'm sure you get the gist of what I'm saying here.

I can't imagine living in a big city where walking and public transportation are the main forms of movement and not taking shoes off at the door. Heck, walking through your normal parking lot should be clear reason enough. I wish I had a nickel for every time I've seen an ill someone spit out a loogie on the way into a store.

I really appreciate shoes-off-indoors cultures. Really do. And offering guest footwear at the door is plain ol' smart. In my experience, the only people who begrudge the custom, or request, are people who have never cleaned a house for themselves. The types who benefited from other people doing certain types of community work and have no real appreciation for it being actual work. What they do is work, but everyone else doing anything different is something other than work. I'm sure you get the gist of what I'm saying here.

I can't imagine living in a big city where walking and public transportation are the main forms of movement and not taking shoes off at the door. Heck, walking through your normal parking lot should be clear reason enough. I wish I had a nickel for every time I've seen an ill someone spit out a loogie on the way into a store.

My friend used to say it's all just the same old atoms. Makes sense in a way but then again he ended up in a mental institution so I don't know how legit his views of the world are. . .

Big J

Call Me a Cab
@Colin G, Ernest P Shackleton,
The Japanese suffered an apocalyptic plague about 2500 years ago (I don't quite recall off hand) that destroyed their society Mad Max style.
Taking shoes off in the house, separate toilet slippers etc is probably the last cultural memory of that.
But in the modern era, there sure is s lot of spitting going on, and Japan has a lot of lung infections.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Get mine from John Lewis in the UK, about £20 each but still look good after loads of washes...

Peacoat

Bartender
A quality heavy duty T-shirt used to be sold under the Pluma brand. Haven't seen any in several years. Does anyone know if this brand is still available, or, if, as I suspect, it has gone out of business?

Edward

Bartender
Santa brought me my first 't-shirts as to-be-seen, not-underwear' t-shirts in well over a decade last month. Two hooped (one red and white, one navy and white) cotton Ts with a tiny bit of stretch - 95% cotton, 5% elastene. Fit nice and wash really well. Couldn't tell you from memory if the are ringspun. Don't think so, but they feel great on. Collectif's menswear collection; I think full price was around £25, but they're just about £12 in the sale currently. I've always liked stripes with a black bike jacket, it's a Ramones thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ