Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dye recommendation?

crazydaisy

Practically Family
Hi everyone, I know there's been some talk about this but can't find the info I need and I spent some time searching through various threads.

Can someone recommend a dye make that has a nice authentic looking 1930's palette? It is to be used mainly to dye yarn for knitting.

crazydaisy

Practically Family
I'm seeing Dylon a lot on line, is this a good one? Their hand wash variety has got a couple of nice colors, but I'm also after coral, and I couldn't see it there.

dakotanorth

Practically Family
Welcome to my world crazydaisy!
Dyeing- I'll try to keep this concise:
The dye you use to should be appropriate for the fiber. Ie, certain materials accept certain dyes, while others require different dyes.
Usually this is not dependent upon the brand/label of dye- it's the TYPE.
Also, the palette/color is greatly affected by your approach; blending colors gives you different results, and the concentration (amount) of dye usually affects the intensity (value) of your resulting color.
Check out Dharmatrading.com for starters- they have some intro pages about rayon, wool, silk etc. I've used their products A LOT and they are OUTSTANDING. Far beyond the supermarket stuff.
Once you reply we'll continue from there!

crazydaisy

Practically Family
Thank you so much! I'll check out the site.
What I need is to obtain the coral color from a cream/light latte current color with a pinkish tinge. The yarn is silk, but I don't know what type of silk, is matte, short fiber, porous. Part of this yarn was knitted and something very strange happened to it. When lightly washed in lukewarm water the color change to a light pink, it became shiny and also stretched a lot. Then it was washed in the washing machine and the matte finish was reinstalled, and also the initial knitted length. It has however remained pink.
I have no idea if this yarn was used by anybody here - the make is Rosario, Portuguese.
I still have a lot left from this yarn, but cannot use it as it is since this pale pink is terrible on me. The only way to salvage it would be to dye it a different color, and I'd like a deep coral.

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
I second the Dharma Trading recommendation! Their customer service is excellent, too, or it was a while back. Can't imagine it's changed much, they always prided themselves on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy