Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dyson DC 15 Vacuum...?

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Are they worth the price ? Good vacuum or just hype. ?

15.jpg

mikepara

Practically Family
They suck..

...really well. But are so plastic and not very solid. It'll clean your carpet but dont expect it to last without replacement bits.

A design classic. The old pull around dysons are better.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
I don't always put complete faith in Consumer Reports, but when it comes to appliances, I trust them. that would be a good place to check. I've heard both good and bad about the Dyson line. They're rather expensive.

Weston

A-List Customer
For extra money I clean a couple's home every week. I use the Dyson (purple model) each week. The suction is TREMENDOUS, and it always seems to get a great deal of dust etc. out of the carpet. Personally I'm trying to get the replacement belt for my grandmother's 1958 Kirby. I'll let you know how that goes...if I ever find the manual telling me how to fix it :(

Phil

A-List Customer
I also have the purple Dyson, that one is made more powerful for pet hair and dander and says so on the box. I'm not sure if you have pets or not, or if you prefer a more powerful vaccum, but the purple one is it. It is true that it is mainly plastic, but if you have a friend who owns a machine shop, you can have them make you some metal parts if it will make you feel better. Right now, the plastic parts are holdng up pretty well. I'd say go for it, they're worth the investment.

jazzbass

Familiar Face
I have the purple one too. It has more suction than any vacuum I've ever used. The design is quite clever and you can go from vacuuming a carpet to cobwebs off the ceiling in one move.

BUT..............It is made of plastic and the hose seems so soft that it could get punctured easily. I don't expect it to have a long life but I could be wrong. I've had it 2 years now and no problems.

Great for dog hair!! Has a user washable HEPA filter too. If it last 5 years I won't regret the purchase simply because it works so well.

jazzbass

Viviene

Vendor
I have the purple Dyson and I love it. I have three huge dogs and lots of cats and the Dyson is used everyday and works great!! I actually bought mine on Ebay and have never had a problem with it and we are going on 2 and a half years now.

matei

One Too Many
We have a Dyson hoover and it is great.

I'm the official hoover-meister in our home, and the Dyson yoke is a wonderful machine. We scored it off of eBay for a great price, from a fella that refurbishes them.

We live in London, and it seems that the dust faries come out every night and sprinkle liberal amounts of soot all over the gaff. We also have a wee parrot who loves to throw seeds and fruit out of his cage. Keeping the place clean was hard with the old hoover (Daewoo or something), and soon after we bought it the company stopped making replacement bags. Couldn't find 'em anywhere.

The Dyson doesn't use bags, and it sucks like... well... emm... suffice to say that it is strong. Strong enough to pull layers of old link and fuzz from the carpet that I didn't know existed!

It is made of plastic, but you can't have everything.

McPeppers

One of the Regulars
I actually put the same money down on the little Roomba. Rather than require the Dyson to pull stuff out thats collected the little roomba goes out on its rounds every night, cleans and docks itself to recharge. and then i rotate it from room to room so every room never had more than 2 days without the vacuuming.

Lazy I know but its quick and quiet and fun to watch. Next I might get its wood cleaning cousin ^_- for my hardwood floors.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
We were discussing Dysons the other day at work! My colleague told me her brother had got one, and had called her up exclaiming "Oh my gosh it cleans so well". As she pointed out, at £200 a pop it bloody well had better clean well! £200 worth of well! ('scuse the grammar!)

I think there are hoovers on the market that also clean extremely well, without the "no loss of suction" claim or vast price tag. For me, cleaning is important, but not enough to make me fork out that much. You can get one for half the price that is almost as good.

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Buy the Dyson- they definitely work as advertised. I've used everything from 'brand with no name' bargain basement behemoths to commercial Hoovers- Dyson beats them all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass