Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Christmas Music

Fifty150

One Too Many
Okay. Let's have it. Post your Christmas Music. Good, Bad, and Ugly. Even if you think that Jennifer Lopez and Mariah Carey are the same person. They are really two different people. Even if all of my ex-girlfriends look like clones.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I doubt if Jennifer Lopez can hit top note in the way that the sopranos of The Royal Choral Society can.
The Royal Choral Society: "Hallelujah Chorus" from Handel's, Messiah.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Christmas songs are weird for me, both fun and nostalgic but sometimes annoying. Kinda like Christmas itself.
Anyways, here's my non-religious favourite:

nimra

New in Town
Christmas music, a magical medley that warms hearts and ushers in holiday spirit. Whether classics or modern renditions, it's festive joy in melody.

Fifty150

One Too Many
It's official. Christmas music is dangerous. The song was from 1984. Now covered across the globe. Pop singers in every music market have recorded it.

1702360125951.png

Edward

Bartender
My favourite Christmas number ever is, of course...

That said, if you want something that truly reflects my own, lived Christmas experience...

But you can't beat a classic....

Or even a great cover of a classic...

...especially one that does something... interesting... with it!

Edward

Bartender
Not one person in this room is old enough to remember when Slade had a hit song, or even know a Slade song.

Au contraire! That Christmas 1973 number one may have been the year before I was born, but it's been a staple of Christmas music in the UK ever since, to the point where Noddy Holder makes GBP500,000 in royalties every year - and that's 50% of the total take. It'll be somewhere in the Christmas charts again this year, like all the classics since downloads came to be included - though I'm really hoping the Pogues get the number one they never had before with Fairytale this year. Quite a few of Slade's big hits in their peak years, circa 70-74 are still well known and have featured in a lot of UK TV and bits over the years since as well. Sort of band where a huge number of people will recognise a clutch of their hits even if they don't know the name of the act (the Christmas number aside, that is - everybody knows that's Slade). Here in the UK, that is - I don't think they're a known quantity elsewhere (albeit Joey Ramone was a big fan; there are exceptions!).

Au contraire! That Christmas 1973 number one may have been the year before I was born, but it's been a staple of Christmas music in the UK ever since, to the point where Noddy Holder makes GBP500,000 in royalties every year - and that's 50% of the total take. It'll be somewhere in the Christmas charts again this year, like all the classics since downloads came to be included - though I'm really hoping the Pogues get the number one they never had before with Fairytale this year. Quite a few of Slade's big hits in their peak years, circa 70-74 are still well known and have featured in a lot of UK TV and bits over the years since as well. Sort of band where a huge number of people will recognise a clutch of their hits even if they don't know the name of the act (the Christmas number aside, that is - everybody knows that's Slade). Here in the UK, that is - I don't think they're a known quantity elsewhere (albeit Joey Ramone was a big fan; there are exceptions!).

They had a few charters over here. IN the 80s, a band called Quiet Riot covered Cum on Feel the Noiz, although the DJs never really gave Slade the credit they deserved.

Of course, I'm an anomaly. My first three jobs were in record shops in the late 70s/early 80s. Slade was, unfortunately, usually found in the cut out bin.

Edward

Bartender
They had a few charters over here. IN the 80s, a band called Quiet Riot covered Cum on Feel the Noiz, although the DJs never really gave Slade the credit they deserved.

Of course, I'm an anomaly. My first three jobs were in record shops in the late 70s/early 80s. Slade was, unfortunately, usually found in the cut out bin.

Aha! I remember Quiet Riot, but I didn't know they'd covered Cum on... That makes more sense as to why it was included in Rock of Ages - it did seem a touch of an anomaly (the show, though notionally eighties, also includes Mr Big's To be with you and Extreme's More than words, both 1992 hits, but most of the kids into the eighties stuff as "vintage" don't know that!).

I think even over here it's only in recent years they've gotten the recognition they should, in retrospect, at least from the critics... I guess some people want pretentious prog, and if rock and roll is fun it can't be "musicianship" or some such.... Their loss, obvs! ;)

Vince Guaraldi Trio’s “A Charlie Brown Christmas” from 1965.

I have it on CD. I recall being in a Tower Records store during the holiday rush 30-some years ago. They had three or four cashiers working and still there was a long line of customers waiting to fork over their dough.

They had “A Charlie Brown Christmas” on cassette and CD. The large boxes the recordings presumably came in were stationed by the cash stands. Impulse buys for some, I suppose, but it sure saved the staff the trouble of keeping it on the shelves and the customers any difficulty finding it.

The one from the North

One of the Regulars
And here's my local classic. Not very old one, from animation from 1996. Movie is 'Santa Claus and witchdrum', it's about this sami shaman who causes mayhem with his drum at Santas just before Christmas. Song's title is Working for Santa. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner