Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eastman Leather Clothing RAF Aircrew Jacket "Battle of Britain"

HPA Rep

Vendor
Here's a classic that, once introduced in 2001, all but rendered meaningless Eastman's 1942 RAF Flying Jacket. The 1938-Pattern RAF Flying Jacket has become the only RAF jacket anyone orders at HPA, with the exception of the tiny few 1944 Devon-Fleece Jackets we've been able to acquire. I personally love the early model for its cleaner lines and history associated with the Battles of France and Britain, which is likely why the public also gravitates to this style, in addition to the paler wool coloring vs. Eastman's 1942 version.

The RAF jacket style is short in the waist and longer in the sleeves by design, both features duplicated by Eastman. They can look as good worn close to the body as I am doing here or more loose in fit, within reason. And they are supremely warm and delicious with the luxurious wool lining, as well as extremely comfortable in providing a great range of mobility, thanks to the gusseted armpits and the absence of horsehide sleeve reinforcements as found on the USAAF B-3 jackets.

I'm wearing size 40R and my build is as follows: chest 40", 5' 9" tall, waist 30", shirt sleeve 33", weight 147 lbs., lean, athletic build.

1938-RAF-front.jpg 1938-RAF-side.jpg 1938-RAF-back.jpg

You can see detailed images, size tips and product measures on our website:

https://www.historypreservation.com...ircrew-jacket-1938-pattern-battle-of-britain/

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My first ever Eastman Jacket :) & Destined not to be the last!

Stand By

One Too Many
It was my first ELC Irvin too - and I didn't like the russet colour so much, so I traded it in for the darker 1942 Pattern and I still have that - I love it! I'm so surprised to learn that the 1942 Pattern doesn't seem to find any favour … I love my 1942 Pattern because it is precisely like an original Irvin that my old G.P. (doctor) had when he flew in Fairey Swordfish in the Fleet Air Arm in WWII and he let me condition it for him in the late '80s. It was a great jacket and the ELC version matches it perfectly. Like many things, as I've said before, some things "imprint" on you and you get a sense of how things should be or look as a result - and because that later version was the first Irvin I actually held and wished for myself, it was the one that spoke to me more - along with the images I have in my mind of 633 Squadron.
But it'll be safe to say that the Battle of Britain is much more prevalent in the minds of people who want an Irvin, so this 1938 Pattern would be more iconic of that.

HPA Rep

Vendor
It was my first ELC Irvin too - and I didn't like the russet colour so much, so I traded it in for the darker 1942 Pattern and I still have that - I love it! I'm so surprised to learn that the 1942 Pattern doesn't seem to find any favour … I love my 1942 Pattern because it is precisely like an original Irvin that my old G.P. (doctor) had when he flew in Fairey Swordfish in the Fleet Air Arm in WWII and he let me condition it for him in the late '80s. It was a great jacket and the ELC version matches it perfectly. Like many things, as I've said before, some things "imprint" on you and you get a sense of how things should be or look as a result - and because that later version was the first Irvin I actually held and wished for myself, it was the one that spoke to me more - along with the images I have in my mind of 633 Squadron.
But it'll be safe to say that the Battle of Britain is much more prevalent in the minds of people who want an Irvin, so this 1938 Pattern would be more iconic of that.

That's a nice story, SB; I can personally relate to that sort of experience and its impact on my sentiments and inclinations in jackets I gravitate toward. My first WWII flying jacket was a well-worn Rough Wear 1401-P purchased from the veteran for $5.00. This A-2 had no cuffs, a broken Crown zipper, a few holes in the waistband, and it looked like the vintage A-2 in the Camel cigarette ads of the era, with sleeves worn almost to suede. My cousin replaced the cuffs and zipper and she mended the waistband, then I was able to enjoy my first A-2, so a Rough Wear 1401-P will always be my favorite A-2. I feel the same way about many other first impressions in my life and I can't say I'm surprised.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
My first original Irvin was a 2-panel Links from 1939, which I bought for the same reason (i.e. iconic pattern with likely wartime associations with France and Dunkirk).
However, as time has gone on and I've bought and sold/traded different ELC Irvins, I've come to prefer patterns with a greater number of panels. In fact, my current original is a late war, multi-panel Links which is now my favourite panel configuration.

HPA Rep

Vendor
My first original Irvin was a 2-panel Links from 1939, which I bought for the same reason (i.e. iconic pattern with likely wartime associations with France and Dunkirk).
However, as time has gone on and I've bought and sold/traded different ELC Irvins, I've come to prefer patterns with a greater number of panels. In fact, my current original is a late war, multi-panel Links which is now my favourite panel configuration.

Please feel free to share some photos, Dr. H, if you wish. I know I'd love to see what you have owned or still do own. Thank you.

Stand By

One Too Many
That's a nice story, SB; I can personally relate to that sort of experience and its impact on my sentiments and inclinations in jackets I gravitate toward. My first WWII flying jacket was a well-worn Rough Wear 1401-P purchased from the veteran for $5.00. This A-2 had no cuffs, a broken Crown zipper, a few holes in the waistband, and it looked like the vintage A-2 in the Camel cigarette ads of the era, with sleeves worn almost to suede. My cousin replaced the cuffs and zipper and she mended the waistband, then I was able to enjoy my first A-2, so a Rough Wear 1401-P will always be my favorite A-2. I feel the same way about many other first impressions in my life and I can't say I'm surprised.

It's so funny how that "imprinting" happens - and how it tells me that the thing in question is the proper way it should be - even though it may well be inferior to the others that came after as a result of research and development. And still, I don't care. There's no logic to it, but there it is.
And so I totally get how your RW 1401-P is the variant that all others should be compared to!

It also explains how I prefer the older style of leather that ELC used to make their jackets with; with no pre-"aging" or "wear" process. I remember my copy of The Golden Book first showing up (courtesy of Gary) with a wad of various leather swatches and I was blown away by everything in there. I'd never seen a proper B-3 or B-6 or a D-1 before, nor so many A2s, and all in detail and compared to an original vintage jacket of the same type, and I instantly loved them and, for me, it set in my mind how those jackets and the leathers should appear as they looked right. I wanted everything! (and I went on to spend 5K with him. Pounds, not dollars. Well, I was single and those were the days …!). There wasn't anything not to like!
And I loved the look of the leathers - they looked smooth and just as they would have looked to any airman upon issue.
And that was what I liked.
If I want my jackets to develop a lovely, worn and authentic patina like an original (and I do of course - who doesn't?), I'll just do exactly what the original crews did to get that same look - put in the time and wear the jackets as often as I can and, within reason, in as much inclement weather as I can. That's it. Oh, and treat with quality leather conditioners a couple of times a year of course.
I want to put the wear in myself. I don't buy "distressed" jeans for the same reason (the reason I'd be buying new jeans would be because the old ones are looking distressed and worn out!).
And that's why I'm personally not a fan of the new leathers - they simply no longer look like the ones in The Golden Book. To me, the leathers are glossier and crinkly (reminds me of being at school, sticking scrunched-up tissue paper and making pictures that way) and just doesn't look right to me. They don't look freshly issued.
I'm not saying others won't like it - they clearly do and good for Gary and ELC and it's why I'm best working in a hospital and not in marketing - it's just me. I'm just glad that I bought my ELC RW B-3 and RW B-6 and C-3 and B-2 caps when I did (2006-2008) and I cherish what I have.

Last edited:

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes, please share Ian. My favourite design is the two panel one which first appeared in the mid 1930s in Letchworth. It is a myth to talk of the 1938 pattern when IAC made these jackets much earlier. I also like the later War jackets, although the workmanship tends to be inferior when compared with pre-War and early War jackets.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Yes, will do - I've been buying and selling a number of ELC Irvins lately, but I'll put a together a quick montage - not in the Swatland league!
I now have a '42 pattern ELC from 1990 (dark hide, dark russet tapes, pale short fleece) in a size 46 and a size 7 (I think) original Links multi-panel. Not in perfect condition (a couple of patches and a replaced zip), but it's growing on me more, every time that I put it on.

CBI

One Too Many
what a great jacket. I used to own on ELC Irvin and loved it but rarely wore it. I enjoy all of the years of the Irvin but I am in the fewer panels the better category. The multi-panel late war ones look a bit messy to me (but still cool). I am sorry to say that I really don't think I can pull off wearing an Irvin here in the mid-south US. Not only are there few opportunities but I stick out wearing elaborate vintage "flight gear" around everyone else in jeans and fleece!!!!!!! I love my B-3 but only wear it on certain occasions. In any case, great iconic look, great history! Congrats to ELC on the continued fine work!

don't get be wrong, I WISH I could pull it off!!!!

Last edited:

HPA Rep

Vendor
what a great jacket. I used to own on ELC Irvin and loved it but rarely wore it. I enjoy all of the years of the Irvin but I am in the fewer panels the better category. The multi-panel late war ones look a bit messy to me (but still cool). I am sorry to say that I really don't think I can pull off wearing an Irvin here in the mid-south US. Not only are there few opportunities but I stick out wearing elaborate vintage "flight gear" around everyone else in jeans and fleece!!!!!!! I love my B-3 but only wear it on certain occasions. In any case, great iconic look, great history! Congrats to ELC on the continued fine work!

don't get be wrong, I WISH I could pull it off!!!!

CBI, I certainly can see how the warmer climates make sheepskin wearing either unnecessary or odd, but on those days when it can be worn, do you really care what others think? This is purely a curiosity I have and which I'm expanding on in the thread about an Eastman A-2 vs. a Gibson and Barnes.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner