Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eastman Leather Clothing, Rough Wear Clo. Co. USAAF B-6 Jacket

HPA Rep

Vendor
This is among my favorites: Eastman's Rough Wear 17756 B-6 Flying Jacket that has been hand dyed and fully vegetable tanned. The B-6 is lighter in weight than something like the B-3 or AN-J-4, and it’s made of the correct 1/4" sheep's wool. 99% of our customers would go up one size in this jacket to allow for even light layering, as it is really quite trim. Personally, since I only use a B-6 for a narrow temperature range and never wear more than a Buzz Rickson's loop-wheeled sweatshirt under it, I would order a 40R, but I absolutely do NOT reflect in any way the typical customer we encounter.

For references purposes, this modeled jacket is a 40R and I'm doing the modeling; my body measures are as follows: 40" chest circumference, 30" waist, 33" shirt-sleeve measure, 5' 9" tall, 148 lbs. with a lean, athletic build.

We have most sizes in stock in this jacket style. Price increases are pending going into next week, as Eastman just began raising prices today and we will be increasing our prices on any styles that will cost more to purchase hereafter, so this week is the last week to obtain current prices on many styles.

All items we ship to Canada are assumed by Canadian customs officials to be of U. S. origin, thus qualifying for duty-free import under NAFTA, so Canadian customers benefit greatly and should only have to pay national and provincial taxes, which are, for the most, unavoidable and would apply to items even of Canadian origin.

You can see product details, detailed and larger images, fit tips, and product measurements on our website here:

https://www.historypreservation.com...jacket-rough-wear-clothing-co-contract-17756/

B6-front.jpg B6-side.jpg B6-back.jpg

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Wanted to always buy one for the woman I would someday Marry, I see a lady wearing a sheepskin Jacket like this and I lose control. *shudder*

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Just beautiful. I'm sure the sun will shine and the birds will sing everytime one wears that one out on a stroll!

Stand By

One Too Many
And the frozen tundra continues to melt :) - I wore mine again on the pre-dawn dog walk this morning. It's perfect for this time of year. Just right.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm curious why this beautiful B-6 is given a RW label and contract number when in fact RW was not awarded this contract for B-6s. It is interesting that it is still advertised on the ELC website under the original maker section.

CBI

One Too Many
Yes Andrew - a small detail for the average retail buyer but typical of ELC to do a terrific job on 99% of things but not go that extra 1%.

very nice looking jacket BTW.

don't get me wrong - I do really like ELC's product line but..............

Last edited:

aswatland

Yes Andrew - a small detail for the average retail buyer but typical of ELC to do a terrific job on 99% of things but not go that extra 1%.

very nice looking jacket BTW.

I could be re-labelled as an ELC redskin "house" B-6. Few would really care that RW never produced redskin B-6s.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I could be re-labelled as an ELC redskin "house" B-6. Few would really care that RW never produced redskin B-6s.

I guess that would include me :)

What I dont like about Eastmans B6 Redskins is that (The one I tried on)the fleece is rather thin, though probably historically correct, and sort of 'crackley'. But then I like to wear sheepskins with only a T shirt as I do my B3 which is not 'crackley'. An Aero D1 I viewed recently was a bit thicker and not at all crackley. Unfortunately I dont like the D1 style.
And if only they would do away with those side zips and put in the adjusting straps instead(Historically correct?)

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Both straps and zips are historically correct on original B-6s.

Thanks for that, guess if I do order one I shall try to get them to put the straps on similar to the ANJ4s, though both companies and probably others, seem to go for the zips. I just think the straps look far more attractive.

HPA Rep

Vendor
I guess that would include me :)

What I dont like about Eastmans B6 Redskins is that (The one I tried on)the fleece is rather thin, though probably historically correct, and sort of 'crackley'. But then I like to wear sheepskins with only a T shirt as I do my B3 which is not 'crackley'. An Aero D1 I viewed recently was a bit thicker and not at all crackley. Unfortunately I dont like the D1 style.
And if only they would do away with those side zips and put in the adjusting straps instead(Historically correct?)

Rocketeer, the presence of what you call "crackly" is typically, though not exclusively, a result of the vegetable tanning which, from what I can gather, is not the tanning process employed on the Aero sheepskin but is what Eastman employs to tan their sheepskin. Some Eastman sheepskin jackets have more or less amounts of the crackly sound when new, but it has largely worked itself out on any Eastman sheepskin jackets I own from simply wearing them. Every vintage "redskin" garment I've ever seen does produce this same crackly sound in varying degrees; I own an unissued redskin B-3, A-3 trousers, B-5 helmet, and a near-new B-6 jacket, A-5 trousers and two B-2 caps, all of which have an extremely similar feel of hand and overall sound found the latest Eastman "redskin" garments. The feel of hand on the Eastman sheepskin garments now and the many vintage pieces I've seen and handled is best described as crisp, robust, and substantial. Some would even say these pieces can feel a bit dry, which I can understand.

Chrome-tanned sheepskin is what dominates the market today in repro sheepskin garments and I know it also existed back in the day, but the chrome tanning of today is not the chrome tanning of the 1940s; some of the chemicals used back in the day cannot legally be used today. There is some superb chrome tanning available today that is more reminiscent of wartime chrome tanning (I haven't seen this in sheepskin, though), but it still cannot match what was performed using now-banned chemicals, which is also true of the dyes employed today vs. 50 or more years ago.

Additionally, some of the vintage "redskin" garments were re-lacquered after production either by the manufacturers or the Air Corps Service Depots, and these pieces tend to be smoother to touch, much more glossy, and the dye surface can be very prone to cracking much like the slick coating on a candy apple. Add the huge variation in color that spans the spectrum of reds as light as caramel and as dark as to appear purple, and it's part of why I remain as fascinated and in awe of the vintage "redskin" garments since I saw my first one some 30 years ago. And I fully regret not buying the only vintage "redskin" D-1 I've ever seen simply because the label was missing on a jacket that was near new.

Regarding the wool depth, both the D-1 and B-6 are specified to have 1/4"-depth wool, which is indeed thin, but that's how the vintage jackets and corresponding A-5/B-1 trousers were made; you won't find vintage examples with deep wool as found on some copies made today. Of course, if people prefer the deeper wool of, say, 10mm depth, that's totally fine by me - it's why we have more than one flavor of ice cream. :D But deeper wool just isn't authentic nor to my own taste.

The B-6 jackets with side straps and buckles reflect the very last of the B-6 jackets produced and are darn rare, so this feature would be incorrect for any "redskin" B-6 or one produced in 1942. Eastman's first B-6 jackets from the early 1990s had the straps you like, but when Gary Eastman found out I had the earlier wartime B-6 with the typical side zips, he had me take photos and measurements and drawings so as to enable production of the more typical B-6 jackets. Once the version with side zips became available from Eastman Leather Clothing, you could still order a B-6 with straps as an unadvertised option and I recall selling some in that form until Eastman ceased making the option available; these would have been made from chrome-tanned sheepskin.

You can try to convince Gary Eastman to make you what you want, but your chances are better in finding an unissued vintage example like new and in your size. Good luck!

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Chrome-tanned sheepskin is what dominates the market today in repro sheepskin garments and I know it also existed back in the day, but the chrome tanning of today is not the chrome tanning of the 1940s; some of the chemicals used back in the day cannot legally be used today. There is some superb chrome tanning available today that is more reminiscent of wartime chrome tanning (I haven't seen this in sheepskin, though), but it still cannot match what was performed using now-banned chemicals, which is also true of the dyes employed today vs. 50 or more years ago.

Regarding the wool depth, both the D-1 and B-6 are specified to have 1/4"-depth wool, which is indeed thin, but that's how the vintage jackets and corresponding A-5/B-1 trousers were made; you won't find vintage examples with deep wool as found on some copies made today. Of course, if people prefer the deeper wool of, say, 10mm depth, that's totally fine by me - it's why we have more than one flavor of ice cream. :D But deeper wool just isn't authentic nor to my own taste.

The B-6 jackets with side straps and buckles reflect the very last of the B-6 jackets produced and are darn rare, so this feature would be incorrect for any "redskin" B-6 or one produced in 1942. Eastman's first B-6 jackets from the early 1990s had the straps you like, but when Gary Eastman found out I had the earlier wartime B-6 with the typical side zips, he had me take photos and measurements and drawings so as to enable production of the more typical B-6 jackets. Once the version with side zips became available from Eastman Leather Clothing, you could still order a B-6 with straps as an unadvertised option and I recall selling some in that form until Eastman ceased making the option available; these would have been made from chrome-tanned sheepskin.

You can try to convince Gary Eastman to make you what you want, but your chances are better in finding an unissued vintage example like new and in your size. Good luck!
I love my Eastman 'Redskin' Rough Wear B3, the one thing that puts me off from recommending them is the lacquer finish. Your explanation as to the tanning processes with now banned substances probably explains the non realistic finish on my 15 year old jacket, though a friend had one of Gary's first Rough Wear jackets that did have an authentic looking finish.

The wool depth I can go with the authenticity stance, that was my personal preference, and to be honest, no one has ever stopped to question the authenticity of my Eastman house A2 despite some inaccuracies other collectors now pick out.
J

As to the straps, If both are historically correct why not the option? To be perfectly honest I just think that the straps look far better and surly good looks sell everything.

I guess to me they are just nice looking jackets, I have never been into re enacting or dressing up in uniforms. Just some makers details make their products more a little attractive.

Deacon211

One Too Many
For the curious, here's my fifteen year old B-6. I love this jacket. It looks great and is great for that in between temperature that falls between the summer weight jackets and the B-3/Irvin etc.

I remember the leather being stiff as hell for the first season, which I think is practically an ELC trademark! LOL! But, once it softens and wrinkles up, man is it a good looking piece of leather.

Edward

Bartender
The B6 has a real cool-cchet to it in my eyes that I can't fully explain. I will one day pick one up.... Myself, I really like the zips as - like epaulettes - it's a feature unique to the B6 of all the sheepskin jackets, which sets it apart as something different.

HPA Rep

Vendor
For the curious, here's my fifteen year old B-6. I love this jacket. It looks great and is great for that in between temperature that falls between the summer weight jackets and the B-3/Irvin etc.

I remember the leather being stiff as hell for the first season, which I think is practically an ELC trademark! LOL! But, once it softens and wrinkles up, man is it a good looking piece of leather.

15 years and it is better than new. Thanks for posting the pic! It looks superb and very nicely broken in.

bn1966

That looks seriously good!!!! Currently softening up mu ELC D1 ;-)

HPA Rep

Vendor
I love my Eastman 'Redskin' Rough Wear B3, the one thing that puts me off from recommending them is the lacquer finish. Your explanation as to the tanning processes with now banned substances probably explains the non realistic finish on my 15 year old jacket, though a friend had one of Gary's first Rough Wear jackets that did have an authentic looking finish.

The wool depth I can go with the authenticity stance, that was my personal preference, and to be honest, no one has ever stopped to question the authenticity of my Eastman house A2 despite some inaccuracies other collectors now pick out.
J

As to the straps, If both are historically correct why not the option? To be perfectly honest I just think that the straps look far better and surly good looks sell everything.

I guess to me they are just nice looking jackets, I have never been into re enacting or dressing up in uniforms. Just some makers details make their products more a little attractive.

Gary Eastman has reasons in his mind that make sense to him as to why he ceased all forms of modifications and options. I agree with some of what he has explained to me and not on some other points, but it's his call to make and he seems largely rigid when it comes to any notion of deviating from his newer practices, though trying to persuade him never hurts.

The Eastman "redskin" line has been the subject of more experimentation and evolution over the years than anything they offer, as far as I recall. The garments we've received for the last two years have been about the most authentic they have put out, and there was a batch from late 1998-99 that was also extremely good, but they had to have the tannery change the formula for the vegetable tanning due to it being a bit too authentic (prone to tearing).

Now, when you are talking about the finish, please clarify if you mean the overall coloring or the lacquer top coating or something else. Tanning and the resultant feel of hand wouldn't be considered the finish, whereas top coating would be. Thank you.

HPA Rep

Vendor
That looks seriously good!!!! Currently softening up mu ELC D1 ;-)

I've been trying to get Eastman to make a "redskin" D-1 for years; I need to pester Gary more this year for what could be a jacket next year. He may be reluctant to make one because he lacks a vintage example to copy and I've seen only one in my life, which I fully regret not buying. :mad: I have a label out of a vintage "redskin" D-1 I sent to Gary years ago; making the jacket wouldn't be difficult, as it just has a chain hanger in the neck and no pockets that make it look different than from the typical wartime D-1s, other than color, of course.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot