Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eastman Monarch A-2 I dont get it!

dmcburn75

New in Town
I just received my Eastman leather A-2 Monarch today. Call me crazy people, but I just don't get how these cost $1000? It reminds me of a jacket you would find in a bargain rack at the mall with thin construction throughout. It IS well constructed and has no flaws in workmanship..... Perhaps they are identical copies of what was issued, but it just looks plain cheap and thin. I have oxford dress shirts that are nearly the same thickness and weight. If the jacket had a thicker leather it would be very elegant.

My Lost World Jacket is made beautifully, much more elegant and built to last. I fear the Eastman will be ripped within a month of wear. I really wanted to order the luftwaffe jacket as well, but they were out of stock. Had the quality been reflective of the $1000 price tag I would have both the Monarch A-2 and the Luftwaffe. As for now the A2 is getting sent back. [huh]

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Sorry to hear you aren't pleased.

Might be worth doing a general search in here on other makers of A-2's, such as Lost Worlds; Real McCoys; Aero; GoodWear...as there is a heap of information and reviews by members (often with photo illustrations). You need to get a jacket that suits 'you,' and your needs and expectations.

But be aware, the A-2 was never a 'HEAVY heavy-weight' jacket, it was a summer wear jacket for enclosed cockpits and often worn as part of a layering system (multiple garments). So you aren't the first to unwrap your A-2 and be taken aback by the lightness of it (if you have a preconceived idea that it would be 'heavier.' ).

But 'agreed,' for such 'big bucks' you need to be 100 per cent happy with your purchase and you don't always know until you have it in your hands.

Good Hunting on the A-2 front.

dmcburn75

New in Town
Well, its definitely not thick. I just may not accustomed to exact replicas... Exact replica of a cheap jacket is still a cheap jacket lol.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Strange, comparing it to a Lost Worlds A-2.

Lost Worlds guy says that he makes a "better A-2" than those made in WW2...
... (he also suggests guys who talk about leather jackets are queer)thus, another interpretation of the jacket. I had one from Lost Worlds and it was a heavy jacket and quite well made but just too heavy for an A-2- such a heavy A-2 is an oxymoron, kind of like the leather Oxford shirt idea- although the A-2 jacket IS shirt-styled. An A-2 is not a "heavy" leather jacket, should allow for a close fit, yet easy movement.

A 1000 dollars, what's that in real money today..?:(

B
T

dmcburn75

New in Town
Yeah, I may have been too harsh. I mean the jacket is well made and construction seems well thought out. I just never knew real A2's were so thin in design. It almost feels like I'm wearing a balloon. I wonder if the Eastman Luftwaffe jacket is the same feel? Thats the jacket I really want. perhaps I will order any size they have in stock and check it out.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
What others have said here (Paddy and Bellytank being quite knowledgeable about this) is true. A2 spec is "flying jacket - summer weight". It is supposed to be thin, but it will also be tough. Wear it, throw it around, spill beer on it, play poker in it, hike the brambles, find someone to neck with in it, and you'll have a hell of a great jacket.

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
Haha. Wait til you get a load of the $5,000 thin "cheap" leather jackets from Costume National, Comme des Garcons, Cloak etc.

Windsock

A-List Customer
If you want an A-2 heavier hide then try Lost Worlds or even RMNZ. Their hides are much heavier (perceived as substantial) but that's a major part of what's wrong with them IMO. The HH that John Chapman's using on his latest Goodwears is very close is in weight of originals (of which I have several) and is extremely comfortable-especially when driving or moving about.

Jackets also change considerably as they break in and a jacket that can feel illfitting and thin initially will ultimately feel right as it moulds to your body shape- you have to give them a bit of time.

Senicko_Spain

Suspended
I have owned several A2s from ELC, Aero, LW, RMNZ, RMJP and quite a few originals. You think this looks cheap then wait till you get your hands on one of the Asian manufactures plastic looking replicas. Listen, as others here have stated the A2 was a summer weight garment and never meant to shield you from the freezing temperatures. Eastman makes some of the best repros out there, the sheen will wear off after some use and the jacket breaks in. The jacket will develop the contours or your body, the sleeves will start to develop that highly desired accordion look to them and the sheen will wear off. In the end you will have a jacket that not only looks like a million bucks but feels like one while you are wearing it. I normally refrain from buying "new" jackets, not only because of their price but also because I hate a "new" looking jacket. Now for the price of Eastman jackets, well, that's a direction reflection on the low Dollar, they were much cheaper a couple of years back. Anywho........here's my advice. Wear the hell out of your jacket, beat it up, sleep in it if you have air conditioning, but most of all break it it. Once you break the jacket in you will be more than pleased with it. This is how they were doled out in WWII, then they were broke in after many years of wear. I have seen and handled every repro manufacture's A2 sans John Chapman's and I can tell you the Eastman is pretty much on my very short list for the best. Good luck and wear it in good health.

Steve

ethanedwards

One of the Regulars
Don't Eastman and Goodwear both use the correct 3oz weight leather, whatever that means! I read about it somewhere, but it didn't stick unfortunately. But 3oz is apparently correct according to wartime spec. BTW Steve, I unearthed my "Golden Book" and it does state in the text that horse, goat and steer were used - I'm not saying this is right but was glad to know I didn't imagine it! Clearly the consensus here is that new jackets need breaking in, but what about the 50Cal or Pearl Harbor for people in a hurry? (Doesn't resolve the weight issue though..................)

WhiskeyTangoFox

One of the Regulars
I can understand the initial shock of handling a correct-weight A-2. My first A-2 was a horsehide US Authentic. That jacket, which i still have, is really thick horsehide. It's a wonderful, well-built jacket but it wasn't going to serve the purpose that I needed it for. I needed a warm weather jacket that was lighter weight.

So, I purchased the Eastman Werber A-2 and was shocked at how light the jacket was when it arrived but it felt a lot more comfortable in warm weather than my US Authentic does. Despite how "wimpy" the Eastman feels, it is a tough jacket. I've been putting it through it's paces for over a year and it's definitely up for the job.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I wouldn't give up on the Monarch just based on feel. It will perform well in the long run.

Noel

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
I had a U.S. Auth. too and loved the substantial feel of the leather. I imagine the government contract jackets from ww2 were made from split hides to make the leather go farther. The top grain 3 oz. for jackets and such, and then the resulting suede for other purposes?
What about the goat skin jackets from the war era? Are they also light weight?
I am currently painting some nose art on a light weight goat skin, and I must admit the light weight stuff just feels really cheesy to me compared to the goats I own. It's a psychological hurdle that's hard to overcome , being so used to the feel of heavier more substantial leathers. Heavier leather that is unsplit just makes me feel like I got my money's worth.

1911 Man

A-List Customer
I have never handled an Eastman, but my Aero repro feels darn near bullet proof. My Wested Indy jacket is thinner leather, but is also horse hide, and tough as nails. I think you will find that despite feeling thin, your Eastman will hold up exceptionally well. But it is ultimately your decision what kind of jacket you want, I hope you find one that satisfies you. Good luck.
-B

fishmeok

Vendor
The orignals are thin leather, and the original jacket has a trim boxy cut that many people today have never encountered before. It is supposed to be very thin (Serves the purpose that a windbreaker would today), though there was enough variation during the war to justify almost any thickness and size. Goat and horse are extremely tough and will not rip or wear through with normal use.

Check out the Goodwear site (http://www.goodwearleather.com/pages/index.html), it has pictures of most every contract A-2 made, and also the ACME depot (http://www.acmedepot.com/a2jacket/index.shtml).

Cheers
Mark

Senicko_Spain

Suspended
BTW Steve, I unearthed my "Golden Book" and it does state in the text that horse, goat and steer were used - I'm not saying this is right but was glad to know I didn't imagine it

Oh, you are right, I have heard the same for years, so I know we're not crazy. But.....I do remember being told several times from knowledgeable sources that there has never been proof of steer, but that definitely doesn't mean that they never existed. Cheers...

Steve

dmcburn75

New in Town
Does anyone have an Eastman Luftwaffe jacket? Is it as thin as their A-2's? Also, those who have US Authentic A-2's; are you happy with them and do you feel they are constructed well? Thanks everyone

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
dmcburn75 said:
Does anyone have an Eastman Luftwaffe jacket? Is it as thin as their A-2's? Also, those who have US Authentic A-2's; are you happy with them and do you feel they are constructed well? Thanks everyone

The thickness of ELC A2s varies. The .50 Cal is thicker than some of their other A2s and is very similar to an original United Sheeplined A2 in my collection.

greyhound68

A-List Customer
To answer one question I have three original A2s in goatskin and they vary from very thin (Roughwear 18091) to somewhat thick (Doinger). I would guess they range from 2.5-3.5 oz. The Speiwak contract I had was pretty thin probably in the 2-2.5 oz range. Now to answer another question on HH it has ranged from slightly thick (my unnamed contract 27753) to very thick Monarch (and heavy). The Monarch original was quite a shock to me as the thickness of the HH and the heft of the jacket. I did get an opportunity to compare the original Monarch with the RMNZ version and the ELC version side by side. The RMNZ version won hands down on the correct heft and look. The ELC was a bit too thin IMO. However, I think the ELC spec tag was better. On the issue of Goodwear, John uses about 3 oz HH however I have a GW Dubow which I really like that used 2.5 oz HH. If you still want a ELC I would say pay attention to the ebay sales on ELC you can sometimes pick up a bargain. Finally, yeah I am curious about the Luftwaffe jacket as well looks interesting and they do not come up often or at all on ebay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24