Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Thanks for all the advice. I just spent about 10 minutes with the kettle and the brush (I bought a soft-bristled paintbrush, as it was actually the softest brush I could find) and I would say I managed to brush out to about a 75% success rate. A couple of the depressions are still visible, but you have to be looking at them right. It felt to me like I was being pretty aggressive with the steam, but maybe if I'd gone even more balls-out, who knows... Now I just need to decide if I can live with it.

I'm going to go ahead and post pics, as I think the hat itself is pretty unique (in a good way).

I have to wonder if a few drops of distilled water directly on those indentations would make the felt sort of "sponge" the water into the felt to help puff it out a bit?

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Scored this Resistol tonight. A bit more than I wanted to pay, but.......... :p

[video]http://www.ebay.com/itm/Really-nice-older-1940-039-s-Resistol-felt-fedora-size-7-1-4-/221715673393?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=UBTcO%252FBuRHmHEA%252FwrN36KRp6CpE%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc[/video]
That sure looks like a bargain for a nice vintage in really super shape, too!

Annixter

Practically Family
Scored this Resistol tonight. A bit more than I wanted to pay, but.......... :p

[video]http://www.ebay.com/itm/Really-nice-older-1940-039-s-Resistol-felt-fedora-size-7-1-4-/221715673393?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=UBTcO%252FBuRHmHEA%252FwrN36KRp6CpE%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc[/video]

Very nice. The brim width is spot on for me, although I have a slender face that makes any brim much over 2-1/2" look like I'm wearing an umbrella on my head.:p

Lucked Out!

Well, you know on those days you go out to the antique mall, or local vintage clothing shops, and you're just poking around? Your wife is over looking at shiny things and you've already determined there are no hats for you, so you wander over to another area and start looking at other things. There, on the bottom shelf, amid a bunch of old license plates, Peanuts lunchboxes, and old furniture, you see the brim of a hat sticking out. Bending down to look closer, you reach in and pull out a vintage Stetson in very good shape! Better yet, is has a price south of $50 on it!

Trembling with anticipation, and hoping no other shopper sees you with your find and tackles you, taking it away, you make your way to the checkout. Only after you've paid for it can you relax.

That's sorta what happened to me on eBay today. I found this listed, with an expiry of today at 2PM EDT. It was just listed on the 19th, so I've been eyeing it, wondering why nobody has jumped in. Got up this AM and checked, still no bids! So I'm sitting here at work monitoring it while work. At the 15 minute mark, still no bids. At 10, I jump in (surely somebody will snipe me at the last second). I was nervous enough to increase my max bid just so nobody could get it.

Well, I got it! My first vintage Stetson, my second Hommie.

And the reason? Well, I'm doing all of my vintage Stetson shopping in Collectibles>Clocks>Vintage (1930-69)>Shelf, Mantel

FrunoB. the brim doesn't seem to look to be curled like a Hommy (to me) from the photos. (Unless it's just tough to see the curl and binding, and I have been wrong before). I have a Stetson Homburg from roughly the same period, and the curl is quite distinct. But no matter, because WOW-za, what a spectacular lid!

tommyK

One Too Many
Spectacular lid, Fruno! And a 3X! That hat was probably $15-20 new in the 50's so not a lot of mark up after 60+ years of preservation.

Congratulations... 3X Beaver Quality was a Stetson Fifteen. I'm wondering if the over welt brim treatment is original or if it was shortened at a later time. Look forward to your report once you receive it.

vmtrevino2

A-List Customer
Well, you know on those days you go out to the antique mall, or local vintage clothing shops, and you're just poking around? Your wife is over looking at shiny things and you've already determined there are no hats for you, so you wander over to another area and start looking at other things. There, on the bottom shelf, amid a bunch of old license plates, Peanuts lunchboxes, and old furniture, you see the brim of a hat sticking out. Bending down to look closer, you reach in and pull out a vintage Stetson in very good shape! Better yet, is has a price south of $50 on it!

Trembling with anticipation, and hoping no other shopper sees you with your find and tackles you, taking it away, you make your way to the checkout. Only after you've paid for it can you relax.

That's sorta what happened to me on eBay today. I found this listed, with an expiry of today at 2PM EDT. It was just listed on the 19th, so I've been eyeing it, wondering why nobody has jumped in. Got up this AM and checked, still no bids! So I'm sitting here at work monitoring it while work. At the 15 minute mark, still no bids. At 10, I jump in (surely somebody will snipe me at the last second). I was nervous enough to increase my max bid just so nobody could get it.

Well, I got it! My first vintage Stetson, my second Hommie.

And the reason? Well, I'm doing all of my vintage Stetson shopping in Collectibles>Clocks>Vintage (1930-69)>Shelf, Mantel
Nice

Congratulations... 3X Beaver Quality was a Stetson Fifteen. I'm wondering if the over welt brim treatment is original or if it was shortened at a later time. Look forward to your report once you receive it.

Interesting comments on the brim. I'll make sure to post a full report when I receive it. I originally found it by just randomly searching "Homburg," which turns up all kinds of stuff that isn't Homburgs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21