Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
moehawk, that's a fine Knox you've got there. It is, however, from the 1960s. The white and red label is not OPS, but rather a large price label that Hat Corp used for several decades. The factory tag shows us it is 1960s because it is missing the crown height. The tags otherwise look the same as the 1950s tag.

Brad
~The Hatted Professor

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Is it a Twenty? That's the tip protector used on Hat Corp. Twenties and on up. The plastic tip protectors are used on cheaper models.

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
It is a Knox Custom with the Custom Edge. Having recently read your Cavanaugh Edge Primer, I'm guessing that it is one of their better offerings. Another question I have now from looking at the pics on your site, are there variations on the 60's price tag? I'm going solely from the Knox section for dating, which shows the standardized labels. The 60's red printed price tag looks like it tears away to leave a nice unbordered ruled name and address tag, and maybe the size stays too. The remnants of the tag on mine has a red border similar to that OPS one pictured, which also looks like it would leave a stub like mine if not carefully removed. That just adds to my confusion. Please do keep in mind that confusion is not a rare state for me.:)
Thanks!

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
IAnother question I have now from looking at the pics on your site, are there variations on the 60's price tag? I'm going solely from the Knox section for dating, which shows the standardized labels. The 60's red printed price tag looks like it tears away to leave a nice unbordered ruled name and address tag, and maybe the size stays too. The remnants of the tag on mine has a red border similar to that OPS one pictured, which also looks like it would leave a stub like mine if not carefully removed. That just adds to my confusion. Please do keep in mind that confusion is not a rare state for me.:)
Thanks!

There are some odd variations that don't show up as standard labels, and the label changes to a rounded-corner sticky label at some point before 1972, but most '60s labels will look like that. The white and red OPS label I have on the website needs to be recaptioned, because all I was pointing out in that case was that the price label said OPS, one of a couple of variations. The red and white label stuck around after OPS was gone, minus the OPS marking. Your label looks to me more like the elongated label, based upon the two red line 90-degree angles. Only one side remained glued to the leather.

Brad
~The Hatted Professor

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters