Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Eliesti

A-List Customer
I really wasn't going to buy another hat, especially with an Akubra Cattleman and Balmoral in the mail but I saw a Plainsman on the Bay for a $25 buy it now and it looked like new from the pics. Since I wasn't sure if I should grab another country hat, I told my friend to buy it and when both the Cattleman and Plainsman arrive we'll see what each of us wants. $25 was too good a deal to pass up. Hopefully it will arrive like new as advertised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
At least Andy Kaufman was entertaining. This is downright discouraging, since I've mentioned before that I think his pricing encourages less knowledgeable sellers to think they can sell any old piece of junk for a high price. Even if he offers it one day at 80% off, it would still be at the high end of what a mid-century Strat normally sells for, and that would be for a larger size than this one. The only thing this does for me is make me think I can retire on the potentially rising value of my vintage hat collection.

BINGO!
I think it ^%#$-up the market for both seller & buyers.
It seems an idiotic technique but he really does have some great hats if your head is small enough.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Mr. Tim listed a hat that i was interested in about two months ago for a ridiculous $350 . I figured I would just wait him out until he decided to run a "sale" and then pick it up for a more reasonable price. Instead , he raised the price last week to $1150. I'm guessing he will probably run a 50% off sale in a week or so bringing the price back down to around $500 , followed by an 80% sale . This is the pattern I have observed. Marketing technique? It doesn't work on me but perhaps it works on others.

Mr. "TIM" needs to set the Bong down and back away from it slowly, in my opinion!

DJH

I'll Lock Up
I've exchanged messages with Tim from time to time and recently bought a hat from him (for way less than an offer on the same hat he declined earlier).

I find Tim to be a nice polite guy.

I can understand him wanting to maximize his profit on the nice hats he has acquired so I have no problem with his pricing.

I just check out his sales to see if there is something we can do a deal on.

g.durand

One Too Many
I bought one of my best hats from him, a Stetson 100, which he put "on sale" for one half the original asking price. It was a lot to pay, but for me that particular hat was worth the price. I find most of his prices beyond unrealistic given the current market value of most of the hats he posts for sale. I also know that the sale prices shown for his hats in the completed listings on Ebay can be higher than the actual sale price of the hat, further falsely skewing the prices upward.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I've exchanged messages with Tim from time to time and recently bought a hat from him (for way less than an offer on the same hat he declined earlier).

I find Tim to be a nice polite guy.

I can understand him wanting to maximize his profit on the nice hats he has acquired so I have no problem with his pricing.

I just check out his sales to see if there is something we can do a deal on.

I like Tim just fine ... Very nice guy ... We text every few months and he has gone out of his way to dig deep into his collection to find things I may be interested in.
I to have bought from him when he accepts an offer that I find fair

... but I find it hard to believe that you don't find it at least a little bit funny that he is asking over $1500 for a strat that would probably go for $300 or less at auction.... Most likely less with that split sweatband

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner