Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

NOS Biltmore Imperial dove gray homburg. It’s one size too small (7 1/2) but I have a hat stretcher and a block...it will fit :)

e321364b49d411aaf8a7d7ba2d6ee8ff.jpg

82248367973dbc3cf69345a37f5b1f6a.jpg

7934255e884451f52f8b05bf732536e4.jpg

63fbe815a88a95e17b9fe4173786e0de.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be honest, I’ve been busy and haven’t opened the package. There’s also a long hair Stetson waiting to be opened. Work has just been too busy these last couple of weeks.

This will be my fourth Biltmore and unfortunately I have not had the experience of them being generous in fit. Even my 7 5/8 Homburgs take to stretching (more to give them a long ova shape than to go up in size). I’m sure I’ll get around to it in the next day or two.

MondoFW

Practically Family
Alas, it is mine!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1940s-1950s-Straw-Panama-Hat-Fedora-Mint-6-7-8-/253660177753?nma=true&si=UxgJob600N0SdtGAgqDNRv1wEUs%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Assuming this fits well, last long and is a breathable weave that will stand the test of New York summer heat, this is a dream hat. I'll have to show pic in action accompanied with some cool gabardine slacks and spectators.

EDIT: There's an odd glitch where it may lead you to some listing for another panama hat because this one ended. Hopefully, the link works, or else I'll post the seller's pics and credit him.

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Alas, it is mine!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1940s-1950s-Straw-Panama-Hat-Fedora-Mint-6-7-8-/253660177753?nma=true&si=UxgJob600N0SdtGAgqDNRv1wEUs%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Assuming this fits well, last long and is a breathable weave that will stand the test of New York summer heat, this is a dream hat. I'll have to show pic in action accompanied with some cool gabardine slacks and spectators.

EDIT: There's an odd glitch where it may lead you to some listing for another panama hat because this one ended. Hopefully, the link works, or else I'll post the seller's pics and credit him.
That’s a fantastic find. Just search for listing 253660177753 to get to the correct hat.

MondoFW

Practically Family
That’s a fantastic find. Just search for listing 253660177753 to get to the correct hat.
thanks! I should just post the guy's pics. Seller is venomindenim.
A beautiful 1940's unworn straw.
s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

Sea Spray--Does anyone have some information on this maker? I remember seeing a 1940s Panama in this style from Sea Spray sell for a pretty penny.

Bah! That's ridiculous. I've actually had a timothiescloset listing in my Watched for some time-- a 1940's homburg with its box for $212 (with a best offer option), which is chump change compared to some of his other listings. I always thought, "wouldn't it be funny if I ended up actually buying from this guy?".

Just Daniel

One Too Many
Exactly. I'm guessing he has a real store, and his prices online reflect his retail sales prices.

I saw Art Fawcett (if I remember correctly) comment that a vintage hat is worth no more than $250. I'd agree, plus or minus a hefty chunk of nostalgia. $800 pays for a lot of nostalgia!!

Maybe the buyer was comparing to modern pure beaver Stetson prices? That would be a rational explanation. So far the vintage market has not matched those levels.

Daniel

thanks! I

Bah! That's ridiculous. I've actually had a timothiescloset listing in my Watched for some time-- a 1940's homburg with its box for $212 (with a best offer option), which is chump change compared to some of his other listings. I always thought, "wouldn't it be funny if I ended up actually buying from this guy?".

MondoFW

Practically Family
Exactly. I'm guessing he has a real store, and his prices online reflect his retail sales prices.

I saw Art Fawcett (if I remember correctly) comment that a vintage hat is worth no more than $250. I'd agree, plus or minus a hefty chunk of nostalgia. $800 pays for a lot of nostalgia!!

Maybe the buyer was comparing to modern pure beaver Stetson prices? That would be a rational explanation. So far the vintage market has not matched those levels.

Daniel
I agree with that price. I probably wouldn't pay over $100 for a hat, vintage or modern. Though, I only own two, maybe I'll make an impulse purchase on a 1940's Cavanagh fedora, my dream hat :D

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
thanks! I should just post the guy's pics. Seller is venomindenim.
A beautiful 1940's unworn straw.
s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

Sea Spray--Does anyone have some information on this maker? I remember seeing a 1940s Panama in this style from Sea Spray sell for a pretty penny.

I bought one from timothiescloset a few months ago. He had it listed for $225. I offered and he accepted $90. So once in a while he can be reasonable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner