Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
Hey Red:
I totally agree on all points! Last time i saw one, well i got it. I have only seen 2 in last couple years and this one appears to blow em both away.
I was gonna tell him he better hurry or i was gonna grab it just so it didn’t “get lost”.
But alas, the Doc done done it!! Lol
B
Ps: a Bantam one day and a Vagabond the next. Wonder what’s next?? Poweball ticket probably! Ha
And the greatest: A MGL! :D :D :D

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
I just found this Vagabond on eBay. This time I found it myself, but checked with my Senseis Bowen and Mike before buying.
Bowen said "Buy it, Buy it!" So I pressed BIN without waiting for Red to opine. $225, which Bowen says is a little overpriced, but OK. Ten dollar price tag. Seller says it is from the 1940s. Opinions?
1abc27a57fdd40cf8124b1faf3e8f900.jpg
19828e422363e43456ff0e610c87fff5.jpg
e0dffb77859bb4b4f39c6d0d28249826.jpg
9fbd5c0cae158905a05cbce32528c68b.jpg

Dynamite hat Dr. IMO, the price is exactly what I would have paid for it. I enjoy the green one I have on my hat rack.

i-tL4KNH8-L.jpg

i-tDs584n-L.jpg

i-TnX8Crc-L.jpg

What a hat sir. Your collection grows with some grand hats! Congrats/

Best, Eric -

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Dynamite hat Dr. IMO, the price is exactly what I would have paid for it. I enjoy the green one I have on my hat rack.

i-tL4KNH8-L.jpg

i-tDs584n-L.jpg

i-TnX8Crc-L.jpg

What a hat sir. Your collection grows with some grand hats! Congrats/

Best, Eric -
Hey Eric:
Wonderful green on your Vagabond. I see your’s is suffering slightly from the same ailment as my black one. That being popped sweatband stitching. While your’s seems minor, and i know it’s heartbreaking, mine are much worse because i love to wear it and it is ever increasing.
Have you tried any solutions to reinforce or suport your’s? Any suggestions? I know of no one who can restitch them?
Be well. Bowen

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Hey Eric:
Wonderful green on your Vagabond. I see your’s is suffering slightly from the same ailment as my black one. That being popped sweatband stitching. While your’s seems minor, and i know it’s heartbreaking, mine are much worse because i love to wear it and it is ever increasing.
Have you tried any solutions to reinforce or suport your’s? Any suggestions? I know of no one who can restitch them?
Be well. Bowen

Bowen; The stitches show fraying but as of yet are not broken. When they break I will hand sew the ailing spot. Matching thread, using an appropriate needle and existing holes should have the hat back with no scars. Hand work done carefully. If I was to need pro support Art Fawcett, Northwest or others would be the choice. The prized vintage hats deserve the expert efforts and cost to put them back into gentle wearing shape.

Eric -

Wyldkarma

One Too Many
I have purchased 6 hats on ebay this last 60 days, 4 were winners. The other 2 were "not as described" and I was able to return for a full refund. Today comes the 3rd "loser". The first picture shows the listed hat, the other photos show what arrived. I paid $135 for this hat, they shoved it into a box too small so it arrived crushed and it was riddled with moth bites. The photos were all a bit low quality and the photos of the underside of the brim were cut off so you could not see the full brim or any moth damage. The liner and sweat band were otherwise excellent :(

This is what was described:

BEAUTIFUL Vintage 50’s MALLORY ARISTOCRAT QUALITY “THE DALLAS”, Grayish-Green 7 1/8 Fantastic condition. The pictures tell the story.

batch_s-l1600.jpg
20180811_173216.jpg
20180811_173220.jpg
20180811_173250.jpg
20180811_173303.jpg
20180811_173317.jpg
20180811_173333.jpg

I have purchased 6 hats on ebay this last 60 days, 4 were winners. The other 2 were "not as described" and I was able to return for a full refund. Today comes the 3rd "loser". The first picture shows the listed hat, the other photos show what arrived. I paid $135 for this hat, they shoved it into a box too small so it arrived crushed and it was riddled with moth bites. The photos were all a bit low quality and the photos of the underside of the brim were cut off so you could not see the full brim or any moth damage. The liner and sweat band were otherwise excellent :(

BEAUTIFUL Vintage 50’s MALLORY ARISTOCRAT QUALITY “THE DALLAS”, Grayish-Green 7 1/8 Fantastic condition. The pictures tell the story.

View attachment 130708 View attachment 130709 View attachment 130710 View attachment 130711 View attachment 130712 View attachment 130713 View attachment 130714
If you happen to like this "loser" moth divots like you have pictured will often swell up & virtually disappear with a bit of steaming & ironing, especially on the brim & just above the ribbon.

Not gonna chance it, at least 15 good size divots, seller just sent me a return label, so off it goes.

At your size I’d send it back to. At my size I’d consider it a good score and live with the mothing or maybe use a dental tool to pick them out a bit, apply lots of steam, and maybe lightly pounce it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wyldkarma

One Too Many
I figured as much. A pre-Stetson Mallory Dallas is worth saving. Read Eric's quote below.
Those are all good points to consider so will wait a couple days to send back the hat. I'm still a novice as what can or cant be fixed on these hats. I will hit one of the areas with some steam and see if I can soften and carefully raise some divots. Kinda still pissed the seller didn't mention the damage and cropped out the damaged areas in their photos.

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up

View attachment 130708 View attachment 130709 View attachment 130710 View attachment 130711 View attachment 130712 View attachment 130713 View attachment 130714
I saw that one! I wished it were my size at the time. Now I'm glad it wasn't

MondoFW

Practically Family

This is why, no matter how "rude" it seems to sellers, I always ask for more detailed photos, if the originals are insufficient. I'm glad you got a refund on this baby. It looks gorgeous, without the bites it'd be a WINNER

This showed up and after less than one hour it had double digit watchers. It was cheap and had the “make an offer” option. I made a lowball offer and it was immediately accepted.

Burton Taylor was a line made by Mallory and ceased to exist after the 1947 Stetson merger.

a982e9d61ad28d48cb76b903965e635f.png

7cbe5a46ea7629be81b1d06e704a918a.png

d35467070709286ce4fe09a5695cb90c.png

9da1d197bb5f02c99f80ad649c9037b8.png

No interior photos. No idea of the size. One in a thousand that it will fit me so look for it here in the classifieds...perhaps a trade?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy