Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
Finally found a Stetson Gun Club I liked. About time. Now I can take it off my eBay list.
0d573306fc39b9edd72b1a4e837292de.jpg
a519c1a1ec559bc2cc761d6e1b03b62d.jpg
72188e635e287524893b134b432d6273.jpg
2d44c711441dfbac15b5be01d5747b7e.jpg
76f2fc53c597c3b43e00fa8bc1433f10.jpg
63e08902b9d65f390be15aa7b4dfb5ce.jpg
925921db6cd027f4a0b7c853218526a9.jpg

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Dm101

A-List Customer
Dirty sonofa....
J****2 and their 20 user accounts....AGAIN!!!
I had the high bid with a reserved max of 50.00 dollars....the auction was only up to 20 dollars.
6 seconds to go...this jackhole somehow outbids me and wins the auction ...AGAIN!
Even though I had bid 50.00!!!

That's it...I'm so friggin done with auctions.
I guarantee you that same hat will be reposted next week for the winning price because the jerk never buys the hats he bids on.
Goodwill can go to hell with gasoline thorn thong undies...I quit.
Friggin bots...
jackhole.jpg

Last edited:

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Dirty fu**ing sonofa.... fkn J****2 and their 20 user accounts....AGAIN!!!
I had the high bid with a reserved max of 50.00 dollars....the auction was only up to 20 dollars.
6 seconds to go...this jackhole somehow outbids me and wins the auction ...AGAIN!
Even though I had bid 50.00!!!

That's it...I'm so friggin done with auctions.
I guarantee you that same hat will be reposted next week for the winning price because the jerk never buys the hats he bids on.
Goodwill can go to hell with gasoline thorn thong undies...I quit.
Fkn bots...
View attachment 155520
If you bid against other bidders, this stuff will happen. Decide what the max YOU will pay for the hat, then wait till about 6 seconds and bid that max. Things will be what they will be that way. This has always worked for me. Bidding to beat others...not so much.
Bowen

Dm101

A-List Customer
This thing is so stupid. I put in my final bid with less than 10 seconds to go and the site didn't register it....USELESS!!!
I give up...
jackhole3.jpg
That jackhole J****2 and all his alternate logins can have the damn site.
I don't need this stress.

Attachments

• jackhole2.jpg
    jackhole2.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 866

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Seriously let it go, you're a big man.

don't count your losses, only victories.

Look at the page counter, and number of people watching the auction and generally 10% of that traffic is serious bidders, you get an idea of how many people you'll be bidding against and of that how the price margin will equally be affected and place a last minute bid accordingly...otherwise DON'T bid if you know there's turkeys out there.

My rule is you put your bottom dollar down on the table and walk away...that's the MOST amount of money you'd possibly spend on the item, at the LAST second.

Be crazy enough to bid twice what you're willing to pay at the last second, and see who is dumb enough to try and out-bid that price at the last minute trying to guess how high my Max bid is with 10 seconds to go...they can't do it unless they are crazier than me to put down a ridiculously high Max bid.

Likewise, bidding early can create this scenario: placing your bid too early only to be out bid by someone every time until you get MAD enough at him to keep driving up his max bid Just out of spite.

someone else puts a higher max than you get's it at the last second for YOUR Max bid price. It's like slingshotting in Nascar, so Just put a scary high max bid at the last second. Take your max bid and double it... I dare you!

How many times have I gotten sharked> not as many times as I Have sharked someone else this way...

I've put INSANE max bids down at the last second for things before and generally I've won the item well under what I expected it to sell for, It's Just the only fail-safe strategy, it's completely reckless but it works for me...so far no one else is either stupid or brave enough to put a Crazy last minute bid down.

If you end up in with a guy who drives his max up Just below your Double max bid, and you wind up winning the auction paying more than double the price you wanted, I guess you're a winner and a loser...but...I believe there's no harm in being straight forward with the seller, Just tell him what happened and you don't HAVE to pay... if he's a nice guy he'll have to understand your reasoning and simply re-list the item and accept your apology.

I've been stiffed on both ends selling and buying.

Once I had to not pay because the shipping ended up being more than the item was worth...The seller was mad at me, but he had no choice ultimately to re-list, YES I felt stupid, but live and learn.

Don't give up, Just like a speed trap, you can't win em all.

Last edited:

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
I agree with much of what has been said. Computer gremlins seem to appear those last few seconds. I've lost high bids before myself when there was just not enough bandwidth for my bid to get in between the others being logged. To me personally it's a game. I put in my max bid and if someone else wants it more then they can have it. There will be others. If I'm really interested in a hat I buy from one of the Loungers here who have built a good reputation as a seller. It might cost a little more...maybe...but I know exactly what I'm getting. I love those magical moments where you get a real steal (I once snagged a $150 hat for $12) but I know I'll never make a living "buying low and selling high" in the hat business. I've already spent more than I could ever recover (hope my wife doesn't read this)! I enjoy the hats while I have them and I find those "forever hats" from time to time as well.

Dm101

A-List Customer
Well everyone, I will take your advice.
I don't gamble in real life because I'm just not built for risking chance on the unknown.
Heck, my employer sent my team and I to vegas for training...all expenses paid on the govt.
They gave us free gambling tokens at the "New York, New York" hotel where we stayed...Every day, I turned the tokens in for their cash value and ate like a king.
I don't gamble and I'm not a gambler.
Never have...probably never will be.
I'll just play it safe...and not play at all.

Thank you everyone for the sincere encouragement and padding my wounded pride with your kind words and heartfelt concern. I really appreciate everyone here. <3

DMinMD

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
If you bid against other bidders, this stuff will happen. Decide what the max YOU will pay for the hat, then wait till about 6 seconds and bid that max. Things will be what they will be that way. This has always worked for me. Bidding to beat others...not so much.
Bowen
Yeah! That's what you taught me, and it works, B. Except that sometimes, particularly with Goodwill, my cell says I still have 30 seconds left, I go to bid, and when I click on the link, I get a message saying the hat was sold already. That is why, this time, I bid two hours in advance.

I really wanted this one. It's been on my list for months, so I wasn't taking any chances. I bid over 20 times what it went for. Gracias a Dios, it went cheap. [emoji2]

Dobbs Hankachif.
f07b52b4e7dda79747b3221ac89cea36.jpg
26dfa9a202b59a0d63680b6b3b353783.jpg
cf949fded4eb1a0a5fce161bb291c9fd.jpg
420a5be31518de78b1d5d73b174f3a74.jpg
7489e377f79137efef9e71dc92a6c8d8.jpg
4f887fbeea06964bbbd3aa44c939bbd2.jpg
7a904d0e8624a8723a6dbf1f867b22e7.jpg

Dm101

A-List Customer
That's a nice one!
Dobbs fifth Avenue...

I'm moving back to eBay for my searches. ShopGoodwill.com is too "scammy".
Never thought the day would come when I'd say a site was worse than eBay....lol.
Times have certainly changed...

ANYHOW...I'm happily moving along to the "Resistol" camp since "Stetson" is soooooooo fiended after and hounded by the masses.
With the larger number of hats available, I should be able to land a nice tan/brown hat at a reasonable auction price...

[emoji147][emoji560][emoji1476][emoji4]

Again, thank you all for your advice and concern. It really calmed me down and brought me back to reality hearing what you all had to say. Please know that I read everything you say and I'm learning how this rodeo goes nowadays slowly but surely.

Man things have changed...feels like I woke up from cryostasis or something..

Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk

Yeah! That's what you taught me, and it works, B. Except that sometimes, particularly with Goodwill, my cell says I still have 30 seconds left, I go to bid, and when I click on the link, I get a message saying the hat was sold already. That is why, this time, I bid two hours in advance.

I really wanted this one. It's been on my list for months, so I wasn't taking any chances. I bid over 20 times what it went for. Gracias a Dios, it went cheap. [emoji2]

Dobbs Hankachif.
f07b52b4e7dda79747b3221ac89cea36.jpg
26dfa9a202b59a0d63680b6b3b353783.jpg
cf949fded4eb1a0a5fce161bb291c9fd.jpg
420a5be31518de78b1d5d73b174f3a74.jpg
7489e377f79137efef9e71dc92a6c8d8.jpg
4f887fbeea06964bbbd3aa44c939bbd2.jpg
7a904d0e8624a8723a6dbf1f867b22e7.jpg

Great catch, Max. I'm very curious about these hankachif felts and how they compare to other lightweight hats. Full report when it arrives please!

Great catch, Max. I'm very curious about these hankachif felts and how they compare to other lightweight hats. Full report when it arrives please!
I'd be interested in having both of those along with mine in hand for comparison. Max's looks late 50s, early 60s, Bob's mid-to late 50s. I have an unlined OPS-era Cross Country. It really is tissue thin.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto