Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
Finally scored a hat I've been chasing for a few years now! Willis & Geiger safari hat:
VtYn8YL.png

Is that to complete your 'Roland Tembo' costume ? ;)

Dm101

A-List Customer
There’s a full size fur felt hat in this plastic shipping bag:

1d0ce00dc5db2649628e119f29ffb59a.jpg

Of course it was misshapen on arrival. The seller defended his shipping stating he would have to pay more if he used a box. He alleged that he’s shipped a couple hundred hats this way and I’m the only one who has complained. Sometimes I really hate eBay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Oh hell no.
Immediate return to seller.
Unbelievable....

There’s a full size fur felt hat in this plastic shipping bag:

1d0ce00dc5db2649628e119f29ffb59a.jpg

Of course it was misshapen on arrival. The seller defended his shipping stating he would have to pay more if he used a box. He alleged that he’s shipped a couple hundred hats this way and I’m the only one who has complained. Sometimes I really hate eBay.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Boy am I with you Brother!!!!
WOW.....what else can you say?!?!?!?!?
WOW!!:eek:o_Oo_O:eek::mad::mad:
SAD......:(:(:(:(
M

Dm101

A-List Customer
Oddest thing.
This winter I must have bid on over 25 hats on ebay.
I won ONE.
Now it's almost summer and I'm getting notifications on whether I want to OFFER on a lot of those hats that I supposedly got outbid on (but apparently never got bought).
Seriously?
I see...it's warmer weather and no one's interested in your auctions so NOW you wanna play ball.

Buttheads.
They can go kick rocks...

Oddest thing.
I won ONE.
Now it's almost summer and I'm getting notifications on whether I want to OFFER on a lot of those hats that I supposedly got outbid on (but apparently never got bought).
Seriously?
I see...it's warmer weather and no one's interested in your auctions so NOW you wanna play ball.

Buttheads.
I HAVE had this happen a few times and am ALWAYS suspicious........
M

The Jackal

One of the Regulars
Oddest thing.
I won ONE.
Seriously?

Buttheads.

I actually had a seller offer me a price that was $6 less than the "best offer" I had sent a couple months prior. My money wasn't good enough for you then, I'm not giving it to you now.

Dm101

A-List Customer
I actually had a seller offer me a price that was $6 less than the "best offer" I had sent a couple months prior. My money wasn't good enough for you then, I'm not giving it to you now.

Precisely!!
Thank you...I feel the same way.

They're opportunistic buttheads all the way.
The guy that sold me my Resistol hat was a pleasure to deal with and didn't try to rob me for it. He took my first offer and communicated with me during the entire process. I told him about all the back-and-forth I'd been through searching for a hat prior and he explained that he just wanted to give the hat a home. I even sent him pics of the hat after I modified it and thanked him again profusely for being such an honorable and easygoing guy.

There are good people out there...then there's the greedy eBay baddies that just want to be nasty to everyone.

Dm101

A-List Customer
I HAVE had this happen a few times and am ALWAYS suspicious........
M

Between eBay and that "Shopgoodwill.com" site...I got pretty disheartened while searching for my hat.
Shopgoodwill is full of bidding-bots that snipe you, then the same item is relisted a week later for the winning price the bots got it for.

Ebay is just full of opportunistic buttheads that expect you to re-bid on their item when they wouldn't accept your reasonable offer the first time. It's ridiculous...
I'm soooo glad my search is over and done with.

Ebay is just full of opportunistic buttheads that expect you to re-bid on their item when they wouldn't accept your reasonable offer the first time. It's ridiculous...

I expect there are eBay seller forums where the same discussion takes place on the quality of buyers. My experience is different. I have purchased many things over the years, including several hundred hats, with almost universal good experiences. I recently made an offer on an expensive camera lens that was priced higher than market, which was refused. Several weeks later the price had come down to the offer I had made originally and a second offer, slightly lower than the first, was accepted happily.

I do steer away from auctions that are suspect. And I always make a note with payment to let the seller know that I appreciate careful packaging and shipping. In my experience, clear communication and a little courtesy seems to help bring about a good experience.

Between eBay and that "Shopgoodwill.com" site...I got pretty disheartened while searching for my hat.
Shopgoodwill is full of bidding-bots that snipe you, then the same item is relisted a week later for the winning price the bots got it for.

I'm soooo glad my search is over and done with.

Sometimes they are just feeling out the market. They might not have a lot of knowledge about the item and they are letting to market tell them what the price should be. Imagine not knowing anything about hats and selling a 1920s Boss Raw Edge for the same price as a 1970s 3X. Unless they are “hat people,” or well informed, the seller may not know that little things make a huge difference. Markings of Whippet, Vita-Felt, The Fray, and similar “words” don’t mean anything to them, but they know that some hats sell for several hundred dollars. If the hat has made it through a few full cycles, the seller is often ready to deal where they were not when they first listed it.

If I still want the hat, and it’s now at a price I’m willing to pay, I really don’t care that my original offer(s) was turned down. Sometimes it takes me several months of following a hat before I can get it for a price I’m comfortable with. It doesn’t bother me that I was rejected five times if on the sixth I got the hat. In fact, When I get rejected I often thank the seller for their time and encourage them to recontact me if at some point they decide to lower the price. I don’t take their rejections personally, and every now and then I get a great deal.

A few posts back, I showed a photo of a fur felt hat in a plastic shipping bag. I was pissed, but after some steam and shaping the hat wasn’t too bad and still worth what I paid for it. I grumble sometimes, but I also try to be understanding and roll with the punches.

The Jackal

One of the Regulars

Dm101

A-List Customer
Sometimes they are just feeling out the market. They might not have a lot of knowledge about the item and they are letting to market tell them what the price should be. Imagine not knowing anything about hats and selling a 1920s Boss Raw Edge for the same price as a 1970s 3X. Unless they are “hat people,” or well informed, the seller may not know that little things make a huge difference. Markings of Whippet, Vita-Felt, The Fray, and similar “words” don’t mean anything to them, but they know that some hats sell for several hundred dollars. If the hat has made it through a few full cycles, the seller is often ready to deal where they were not when they first listed it.

If I still want the hat, and it’s now at a price I’m willing to pay, I really don’t care that my original offer(s) was turned down. Sometimes it takes me several months of following a hat before I can get it for a price I’m comfortable with. It doesn’t bother me that I was rejected five times if on the sixth I got the hat. In fact, When I get rejected I often thank the seller for their time and encourage them to recontact me if at some point they decide to lower the price. I don’t take their rejections personally, and every now and then I get a great deal.

A few posts back, I showed a photo of a fur felt hat in a plastic shipping bag. I was pissed, but after some steam and shaping the hat wasn’t too bad and still worth what I paid for it. I grumble sometimes, but I also try to be understanding and roll with the punches.

You are at the point of human evolution that I aspire to reach.
Currently, I'm stuck in the "Vengeful Spartan Soldier" era...
I understand, fully, what you mean though!!
One day I'll have enough patience and maturity to wait out those kinds of deals.
Thank you...your explanation was a good reminder for me of where I need to get to.

*Focus Dm, focus...*

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot