Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

So I was enjoying a few while waiting for Garth Brooks to take the stage the other night for his performance at The Barn in Sanford Florida part of his Dive Bar tour. And I got a reminder from eBay for a hat I had been watching... this Lord Kent Beaver 15 homburg.

aa5c1ed47923a36eb565865e21dbbdc1.jpg

I sent a best offer to which the seller quickly and graciously offered to split the difference on and I am now the owner of my first homburg.

78f6b96cc700458b64e046140373ef47.jpg

334e0f9cc171749c128724060699a1e0.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So I was enjoying a few while waiting for Garth Brooks to take the stage the other night for his performance at The Barn in Sanford Florida part of his Dive Bar tour. And I got a reminder from eBay for a hat I had been watching... this Lord Kent Beaver 15 homburg.

aa5c1ed47923a36eb565865e21dbbdc1.jpg

I sent a best offer to which the seller quickly and graciously offered to split the difference on and I am now the owner of my first homburg.

78f6b96cc700458b64e046140373ef47.jpg

334e0f9cc171749c128724060699a1e0.jpg

Congrats on your first homburg. Every hat wearer should at least own a dozen or so:). Such wonderful hats. You're off to a good start.

Congrats on your first homburg. Every hat wearer should at least own a dozen or so:). Such wonderful hats. You're off to a good start.

Thanks... looking forward to cleaning this up (just a little brushing really) and finding the right occasion to wear this one.

Every occasion is the right occasion! They are remarkably versatile. Just pinch them and they can go with casual clothing perfectly.

Very true... with a pinch they effectively turn into a fedora with its brim up... the felt on this one takes a pinch remarkably well too. [emoji2]

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
Congrats Max! Check behind the sweat at the seam and you might find a hand-written date and circumference noted.
I will, Bob! Thank you. What do you think of it? I don't know if it is 100% beaver, or what. Are most O'Farrels pure beaver? It says "custom made for Sal Laterra". Is the fact that it was custom made increase the likelihood that it is pure beaver?
In their site I noticed that even their leather bands are pretty expensive. Does tis one look like it would be, Bob?
I got it for $120.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

I will, Bob! Thank you. What do you think of it? I don't know if it is 100% beaver, or what. Are most O'Farrels pure beaver? It says "custom made for Sal Laterra". Is the fact that it was custom made increase the likelihood that it is pure beaver?
In their site I noticed that even their leather bands are pretty expensive. Does tis one look like it would be, Bob?
I got it for $120.

Hard to say Max. Nowadays they make a 75% beaver blend at a minimum. $120 is a good price. Is there any O'Farrell marking on the sweat that might state if it was from Durango or Santa Fe?

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
Hard to say Max. Nowadays they make a 75% beaver blend at a minimum. $120 is a good price. Is there any O'Farrell marking on the sweat that might state if it was from Durango or Santa Fe?
The listing says Durango, Colorado, but there aren't any pics that show it

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
The trip down memory lane continues. Last Friday was the 5-yr wedding anniversary with the wife, and on this day one year ago I joined the Lounge. Had to celebrate by getting a rat hat (and leather jacket):
IMG_1901.jpg

I'll have to count how many hats have been acquired over the past year. On second thought, maybe that's not such a good idea. Here was the first:

Greetings all. Long time lurker, latest member. It seems like a great community and I thoroughly enjoy the camaraderie and contributions by all. I finally made the dive and acquired a few hats recently, so now I have something to humbly contribute.

My first purchase is nothing special, but I figured I'd start with the "first name in hats," an Adam. Should make for a decent everyday beater hat. The ribbon is what drew me to this particular pork pie. Based on threads I've read on here this is probably late 50s or early 60s.

View attachment 141804 View attachment 141805 View attachment 141806 View attachment 141807 View attachment 141808 View attachment 141809

My apologies for poor picture quality. It will be a trial and error basis as I try different locations and lighting conditions. (For example, the leather sweatband is actually brown.)

I promise to up my game with my future postings. I also have a vintage Knox Twenty and a Stetson bowler, so stay tuned.

Thanks to all that for making this a nice little corner on the Internet. I've thoroughly enjoyed being a member, have learned a lot, and hopefully have made some positive contributions to this wonderful forum.

The trip down memory lane continues. Last Friday was the 5-yr wedding anniversary with the wife, and on this day one year ago I joined the Lounge. Had to celebrate by getting a rat hat (and leather jacket):
View attachment 191665

I'll have to count how many hats have been acquired over the past year. On second thought, maybe that's not such a good idea. Here was the first:

Thanks to all that for making this a nice little corner on the Internet. I've thoroughly enjoyed being a member, have learned a lot, and hopefully have made some positive contributions to this wonderful forum.
You're definitely an asset, Jonathan. We need members like you to keep the enthusiasm going.

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
So the hat teaser in the post just above was actually a win from late last night. Counting just the hats that I acquired for myself I come out to 33 (including the one above) in Year 1 of being a Lounge member. Could be as high as 35 if I decide to keep a couple from my estate auction extravaganza haul from earlier this summer. Not @drmaxtejeda acquisition level, but...woof.

Better slow down in Year 2, but still celebrating today's anniversary. Just snagged this one a short while ago:
IMG_1902.jpg

Compared to the other one from above this hat is about as far on the other end of the spectrum as possible. Should be a very interesting week next week when these arrive.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112