Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

i wanted a western straw for the summer and snagged this guy yesterday. i <knew> shipping charge per auction wasn't near what it was going to cost to get this guy across the country so i offered seller that i'd cover half shipping over what was originally charged if she'd pretty please not bend or crush hat and ship in a stiff box. though she sent the thing retail ground (CO to MA) i think she followed my directions .. we'll see i guess : |
hat's pretty cool right? 50s or early 60s i think? i can't find this model in a catalog yet. i'll post more on "western straw" thread assuming it arrives as a hat and not hay. hope everyone's well out there!
View attachment 236636
View attachment 236637
View attachment 236638
View attachment 236639

Took a look at that one as well. Maybe sisal? I’d go late 60’s.

i wanted a western straw for the summer and snagged this guy yesterday. i <knew> shipping charge per auction wasn't near what it was going to cost to get hat across the country so i offered seller that i'd cover half shipping over what was originally charged if she'd pretty please not bend or crush hat and ship in a stiff box. though she sent the thing retail ground (CO to MA) i think she followed my directions .. we'll see i guess :|
hat's pretty cool right? 50s or early 60s i think? i can't find this model in a catalog yet. i'll post more on "western straw" thread assuming it arrives as a hat and not hay. hope everyone's well out there!
View attachment 236636
View attachment 236637
View attachment 236638
View attachment 236639

Nice. I like the unusualness. I know Stetson stopped using the keyhole size tags in felt hats by 1963, and they didn’t start issuing the mixed number tags until the late 1950s; that a pretty narrow window. Of course, there could be exceptions.

TheGuitarFairy

Practically Family
i understand mixed number tags came after the rectangular (single) number tag which i associate with 60s hats in general? i don't think i've ever even seen a straw w/ a keyhole tag though i'm sure that's because there's more i haven't seen than have overall and i guess straw's don't last as long as felts? it'd be cool to find this model in a catalog.

i understand mixed number tags came after the rectangular (single) number tag which i associate with 60s hats in general? i don't think i've ever even seen a straw w/ a keyhole tag though i'm sure that's because there's more i haven't seen than have overall and i guess straw's don't last as long as felts? it'd be cool to find this model in a catalog.

The progression was keyhole with fraction only, keyhole with mixed number, and then the rectangular with mixed number. There are lots of straw hats with keyhole tags, but I don’t know that they follow the same use dates as felt hats. It seems as though they should/would, but we all know about assumptions.

Just A Hat Rack

Practically Family
i wanted a western straw for the summer and snagged this guy yesterday. i <knew> shipping charge per auction wasn't near what it was going to cost to get hat across the country so i offered seller that i'd cover half shipping over what was originally charged if she'd pretty please not bend or crush hat and ship in a stiff box. though she sent the thing retail ground (CO to MA) i think she followed my directions .. we'll see i guess :|
View attachment 236636
View attachment 236637
View attachment 236638
View attachment 236639
If you're interested in a straw that will take a little abuse, give SunBody hats a look. They're a little on the heavy side, but they offer quite a few western styles at a reasonable price tag. They will also handle water with no problem. I thought I'd throw that out there because I'd hate to see that hat get ruined.

View attachment 236636
View attachment 236637
View attachment 236638
View attachment 236639
Glad you got it on its way

I held off about a week in case the winner was from the group... didn’t want to steal their thunder. I guess these go down as defeats... I seriously regret not going a couple more bucks on these two beauties

1950s Dobbs Homburg with a beautifully colored ribbon and binding

D2E85BF6-533B-4B26-A377-929D8E292C31.jpg
17E3DCD4-B469-4707-9DB8-040DB89CFEEB.jpeg

Crofut and Knapp boater ... never thought I wanted a boater til I saw this one. OUCH!

635A104C-E550-48D1-9DDE-A38BAD3388D3.jpeg
99B7C5B7-4F17-48ED-A78A-AEF60A9FCCC1.jpeg

Now I can live with the regret.... oh and a Mallory Homburg Twelve fifty... that slipped away for thirty five bucks cause I started chatting with someone and forgot. Damn... damn... DAMN

Just Daniel

One Too Many
“Western Germany” tells us it is at least 50s.

I don’t know about European hats, but the black leather and large stitches do seem to point to a 60s hat. In general pre-WWII hats have brown leather and finer stitching.

I just bought this Anton Peschel on the advice of a friend who knows a lot more about hats (and many other things) than I ever will. View attachment 237912 View attachment 237913 View attachment 237914 View attachment 237915 View attachment 237916 View attachment 237917 View attachment 237918 View attachment 237919 View attachment 237920

I just bought this Anton Peschel on the advice of a friend who knows a lot more about hats (and many other things) than I ever will. View attachment 237912 View attachment 237913 View attachment 237914 View attachment 237915 View attachment 237916 View attachment 237917 View attachment 237918 View attachment 237919 View attachment 237920
Might not be your preferred brim width, max, but I suspect the felt is going to be great.

Sold by Motsch, but made by Ecuyer&Thomas. We don't see a lot of these, but they were around for quite some time (until 1997 as far as I know).

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Found an Akubra Camp Draft yesterday in my size, but they wanted too much money. I put it into my watchlist and was just notified that the price was dropped to $99, so I jumped on it. It looks to be in great shape. I had one of these 7 years ago but like a dummy I sold it to get something else. In fact...this may BE the one I sold. I'm so glad to get one again, in this kind of shape:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/373064668098?ul_noapp=true

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points