Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Resistol "Kitten Finish".....

This came today, great color, kind of a Taupe/greenish with a 2-tone bow that has the same color as the binding on the brim, pretty sharp. The felt is in excellent shape, just needs a good brushing/cleaning. Haven't decided what type of crease to put in it yet. Any guess on the age, that might help my decision. [huh]

Resistol1-1.jpg
Resistol2-1.jpg

Resistol10.jpg
Resistol11.jpg
Resistol9.jpg

waffle

One of the Regulars
Ande1964 said:
This ever happen to anyone else... you see a hat you not sure you really want, but you throw down a pretty low bid anyway, figuring you'll never win it. Then, a week later, you get the damn thing!

Well, it just happened to me on this Vintage Resistol Kitten Finish Fedora.

250b_12.JPG

This hat, which I would date to the '60s, may have too small a crown for me, but I like the kitten finish. If it doesn't work out for me, I doubt I'll lose money on it.

Anj

i was actually watching this one, but oh well...

anywho, let me know if it doesn't work out for you, i still might be interested. :)

bolthead

Anj....

waffle said:
i was actually watching this one, but oh well...

anywho, let me know if it doesn't work out for you, i still might be interested. :)
Gotta love those Kitten finish eh Ande? This is my 3rd Resistol, 2nd kitten finish......I love these Lids.....:D

bolthead

This Green Dobbs as well......

I've been wanting another Green Lid and I stumbled across this little Gem. I doubt That I'll keep the rope and feather on it. I only hope that it's in as good as shape as the pics show. The inside looks flawless.

Green Dobbs

Hey Russ,Razz, what do you think, a 2 1/2" brim with a thin ribbon? :D

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
bolthead, That green Dobbs is a striking hat! I have a Tonak that could be its brother. It always get's positive comments, usually in the nature of, "Where can I buy one like it?"
I'm interested in that pin. Can you do a close-up, maybe tell us something about it?

bolthead

J.T.Marcus said:
bolthead, That green Dobbs is a striking hat! I have a Tonak that could be its brother. It always get's positive comments, usually in the nature of, "Where can I buy one like it?"
I'm interested in that pin. Can you do a close-up, maybe tell us something about it?
JT, if you're talking about the pin on the Dobbs, I didn't get it yet. I probably won't keep it though and if you're interested in it, I'd be more than happy to pass your way. ;)

Selentino

One of the Regulars
OK guys who out bid me on this stetson on the bay. that was a mighty fine piece of work! that what I get for taking my eyes off of it for the last 15 min. Stetson Dress Hat size 7 1/2 Item number: 300236568815

This one is amazing. Weighing in at a mere 3.6 Oz (including sweatband and liner!). Truly light as a feather.

bk

Baron Kurtz said:
I haven't been buying hats from eBay for a long time … almost a year now … too many size and condition issues. But this one i couldn't resist for $25 US. Borsalino qualita extra extra superiore. Feather weight.

Picture175.jpg

Picture171.jpg

I will pay by paypal and try to use that redemption code …

bk

MattJH

One Too Many
I wanted this 7 5/8 Dobbs. Believe it or not, I only have one grey fedora and it's a modern Akubra Stylemaster in Moonstone Grey. Because of the bound brim, I wanted a more casual, soft-felted grey. This fit the bill perfectly as I really like 2" brims. More will come along in my size, of course, but it seems they're usually brown. Maybe I'll find a Borsalino in grey. I don't own a single one.

MattJH

One Too Many
Baron Kurtz said:
that's a remarkably low price for a 7 5/8. Especially a Dobbs. perhaps the small-ish brim put off the punters?

It's about average for this time of year and, presumably, this economy. I just sold a 7 5/8 Dobbs with about the same dimensions but stiffer felt in an olive/brown hybrid color and it went for $60.90. I've been meticulously and consistently watching 7 5/8 and 7 3/4 hats on eBay for about 4 years now and it seems that they all go for between $40-$80 unless the brim measurement is above 2" at which point it can skyrocket, depending on a variety of factors, to upwards of $100 - $200.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I'm always weighing the cost of an Art with what I'm willing to bid on a vintage hat. When this hat was first posted, I thought I might go to $250 or $300, but as the number of bids climbed, it seemed like it might get much higher than that. In this case, I think you really got a great deal with such a beautiful hat in a large size. No custom will ever get you that guild edge, and the style is something I could easily see asking for in a custom hat.
Congrats, and I can't wait to see your photos of it. :eusa_clap

jimmy the lid said:
I'm really looking forward to this one -- Dobbs 20 with Guild Edge:

Dobbs20L.jpg

JtL

MattJH

One Too Many
jimmy the lid said:
I'm really looking forward to this one -- Dobbs 20 with Guild Edge

I was watching that one. I have the exact same one in brown in a 7 5/8 size. You won't be disappointed. The felt is extremely thick and soft. Here are some pictures to give you an idea of what you'll have:

01-dobbs20-front.jpg

02-dobbs20-top.jpg

03-dobbs20-side1.jpg

07-dobbs20-lining.jpg

09-dobbs20-sweat.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL