Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

RBH

Bartender
gtdean48 said:
I was just trolling for 7 5/8 Open Road & found this Royal Deluxe model for a decent BIN price. I'm hoping it cleans up a little but if not, I still don't have much in it & a trip to Optimo would still give me a good lid at a decent price...
RDOR2.jpg

RDOR1.jpg

I may also try Rusty's naptha bath on it for a DIY restoration. [huh]
I'll post an update when it gets here.
That would be a good first try.
BUT Optimo might do you a better job.
Its just according to what you want out of this one, and nice all around hat to wear or a Sunday go to meeeting hat.
Please let us know what you decide!

billyspew

One Too Many

Chiliarches

A-List Customer

RHY

One of the Regulars
billyspew

Yes, I noticed that the Cleveland Mad Hatter is named Bill Taylor and assume there is some connection. I don't know if this hat is a custom hat or just a relabled generic hat that Taylor puts his brand on. It will be interesting to take a closer look at the hat when it comes in.

Thanks for the comment.

RHY

RBH said:
That would be a good first try.
BUT Optimo might do you a better job.
Its just according to what you want out of this one, and nice all around hat to wear or a Sunday go to meeeting hat.
Please let us know what you decide!
I've got an old 4X Stetson that I was going to try the naptha bath on. I'll compare the 2 once it gets here....

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
gtdean48 said:
I was just trolling for 7 5/8 Open Road & found this Royal Deluxe model for a decent BIN price. I'm hoping it cleans up a little but if not, I still don't have much in it & a trip to Optimo would still give me a good lid at a decent price...
RDOR2.jpg

RDOR1.jpg

I may also try Rusty's naptha bath on it for a DIY restoration. [huh]
I'll post an update when it gets here.

I'd leave it just as is. That hat has experience. It'll make you look like you're a real rancher! ;) :D

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Hats - My road to ruin

I just won this Dobbs Twenty with Guild Edge (my first) on the UK bay for £15.79.

I have to say that things are getting nasty...I'm shelling out money I don't necessarily have! What do you think? Should I give up the coffee - or the cigarettes? ;) Anyway - I vow and I swear (most solemnly!): This was my last hat...for this month... :D
Now I can only hope that no medium grey Homburg in my size is going to come my way for the rest of July...Jungfraurmariagebenedeite...(that was a fragment of a quick German prayer)...!

I'll post my own pictures as soon as the hat has arrived. Here are the images the seller posted on eBay. The first is way too bright, I think the second image is more like the real deal.

It's a 6 7/8, by the way.

!BV(65wQ!2k~$(KGrHgoH-EYEjlLl0H2jBKSM0I14ig~~_1.JPG

!BV(7EYQ!Wk~$(KGrHgoH-EYEjlLly8E)BKSM06NmRw~~_1.JPG

Give up the smokes but gotta have the coffee. I quit over 25 years ago & have an occassional cigar, used to chew & dip but gave those up too. Like to have the $$$ for hats & other useful items as well as the beer & booze!

Mario

I'll Lock Up
gtdean48 said:
Give up the smokes but gotta have the coffee. I quit over 25 years ago & have an occassional cigar, used to chew & dip but gave those up too. Like to have the $$$ for hats & other useful items as well as the beer & booze!

Tried it once (last year) and failed miserably... :(

munchausen

One of the Regulars
Nice Twenty Mario!

Beauty of a hat. I wish I could pick up a vintage for that sort of dinero, but they all seem to be really expensive. Does anyone else find that?

Can you let me know what you think of it? All of my hats are new and I'm curious as to the difference in the quality and feel of the felt.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Mario said:
I have to say that things are getting nasty...I'm shelling out money I don't necessarily have! What dou you think? Should I give up the coffee - or the cigarettes? ;) Anyway - I vow and I swear (most solemnly!): This was my last hat...for this month... :D

No amount of prayer can cure a hat addiction...

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
gtdean48 said:
I just may brush it up good & change that crease a mite!

That's the way, cowboy! lol

Seriously though, I like the rough good looks of that hat but I'll bet there will be lasting soiling to that top crown edge and the best adjustment to the shape will be just to pinch the front and keep that crest area pretty much in the same location.

If this one were my size and coming to me, I'd also put it in the freezer for a day to make sure no cooties survived, comprende?

Be sure to show us the gory details when you get it, OK?

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Mario said:
I have to say that things are getting nasty...I'm shelling out money I don't necessarily have! What dou you think? Should I give up the coffee - or the cigarettes? ;) Anyway - I vow and I swear (most solemnly!): This was my last hat...for this month... :D

Good luck with that. If you figure out how to do it, please post.

I wonder if anyone here has set hat limits for themselves? Mine is ten - if one comes in, one has to go out. I'm only about twenty behind.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
munchausen said:
Beauty of a hat. I wish I could pick up a vintage for that sort of dinero, but they all seem to be really expensive. Does anyone else find that?

Can you let me know what you think of it? All of my hats are new and I'm curious as to the difference in the quality and feel of the felt.

I'll be sure to let you know as soon as I have it here in those longing hands of mine. :)

ScottF said:
Good luck with that. If you figure out how to do it, please post.

Me, I'm just consulting my therapist on this matter...I'll be glad to let you know if we can manage to come up with a workable solution.

ScottF said:
I wonder if anyone here has set hat limits for themselves? Mine is ten - if one comes in, one has to go out. I'm only about twenty behind.

Don't know why, but this sounds vaguely familiar to me... :D :D :D :D :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland