Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

CRH

Call Me a Cab
ScottF said:
Where is the justice?

CavDerbyMe.jpg

(Don't mess with me - I WILL come at you like a spider monkey!)

The only real justice is comedy...

and that is quite hilarious.

lol lol lol

:eusa_clap

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Brad Bowers said:
You are right in that all of the HCA brands had various levels and prices of hats. I would put higher-end Dobbs hats up against anybody's higher-end hats anytime.

The comparison with GM and their similar brand positioning was made in late-1956 by Bernard Salesky, after the Salesky acquired control of Hat Corporation of America. It was the Salesky that wanted to position their brands thusly. I doubt John Cavanagh and his successors saw their brands positioned like GM brands, but there is some comparison that is valid. Dobbs was their number one selling brand, their mass-market brand, if you will, and had been since early in the century. Cavanagh was the top end brand by anyone's standards, with a built-in exclusivity and cachet to the name, so a comparison to Cadillac is fair. I'm not quite sure where Knox fit in, but in terms of marketable cachet it might have been in between Dobbs and Cavanagh. Dunlap was always a lower-priced brand, and remained so under HCA. I've never figured out where C&K fit into the HCA scheme after 1932, but it has seemed to me to be the "forgotten man" in the lineup.

Brad

Brad ,I see how the various brands under the Hat Corporation of America could be compared the car bands under GMC. Cavanagh only made high-end hats. Dobbs marketed more basic models along side their 50 model. I just waned point out Dobbs also made some high end Hats which my Dobbs 40 is a great testament . I also like to mention I appreciate all the research you share with the lounge. You are on the short list of go to authorities when it comes to hat history.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Tooch said:
I'll keep my fingers crossed that the second measurement is more accurate than the first.

That seller did you a favor by botching those initial width/length figures. I think that hat would have sold for a lot more if it were a true 7-1/8. Nice buy and good luck on the fit!

Tooch

One of the Regulars
I've learned to look for those little errors. That's how bargains are found.

I'll let everybody know whether or not I made as good a deal as I hope.

That seller did you a favor by botching those initial width/length figures. I think that hat would have sold for a lot more if it were a true 7-1/8. Nice buy and good luck on the fit!

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
gtdean48 said:
I was so tempted to go after that one & get my stretcher ready but decided to leave it for the true 7 1/2's...

Do you really have that much success with the stretcher? I've tried it a few times, but I guess I'm too cowardly to really give it a good effort.

m000m000

One of the Regulars
mannySpaghetti said:
Ok, who's the mug that just won this?!

I thought I had this baby pegged! :rage:

I'm sorry :eek:

It's on the small side for me, but I really liked the look of that one way too much to let it pass up :D.

mannySpaghetti

One of the Regulars
m000m000 said:
I'm sorry :eek:

It's on the small side for me, but I really liked the look of that one way too much to let it pass up :D.
two-guns.gif
m000m000

Anyways, to the victor go the spoils. Grats you mug. Anyways, if it doesn't work out for ya', you just shoot me a pm pal, I'll be all over it.

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
ScottF said:
Do you really have that much success with the stretcher? I've tried it a few times, but I guess I'm too cowardly to really give it a good effort.

I have lots of success with my stretcher. I've mentioned elsewhere the Akubra Le Baron that I successfully stretched a good four sizes and can wear it comfortably today. Most stretches are only up one size, and others are more of an anti-shrinkage strategy. But all-in-all it's worked well for me. I have a vintage stretcher, which tend to be wider and more solid. It also helpfully has a size gauge which removes the guesswork for me.

buler

I'll Lock Up
Question for all...

Would it bother you if someone copied a majority of the text of one of your auctions and used it for one of theirs?[huh]

B

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL