Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Dobbs Hat Tin

This one is still for sale....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140460051808&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

It is a Dobbs hat tin. I am guessing it is for a crushable hat. I emailed the seller and they said it was about four inches deep and empty inside.

I am not interested in the tin, but thought some of you guys might be interested in seeing it. I am also curious if it really is for a crushable like I guessed? Or maybe a women's hat??

Opinions please.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Mobile Vulgus said:
This one is still for sale....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140460051808&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

It is a Dobbs hat tin. I am guessing it is for a crushable hat. I emailed the seller and they said it was about four inches deep and empty inside.

I am not interested in the tin, but thought some of you guys might be interested in seeing it. I am also curious if it really is for a crushable like I guessed? Or maybe a women's hat??

Opinions please.
For the Mini-Hat Gift Certificates.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
SteveAS said:
Nice, but small, hat at a high price: Cavanagh 7-1/8.
I'm happy that sellers are getting good prices for their hats, or trying to. But for that money, it raises the question, how much do you really want that vintage hat? Personally I like vintage hats when they're priced below new ones, but all in all my buying plan tends more toward new than vintage.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Mobile Vulgus said:
It is a Dobbs hat tin. I am guessing it is for a crushable hat. I emailed the seller and they said it was about four inches deep and empty inside. [...] Opinions please.

RLK is correct. That is not a hat box. If you'd like to see a crushable Dobbs box visit the Hatbox (or Dobbs) thread. I recently posted one there. The tube is 11 inches deep and 4 inches across.

theinterchange

One Too Many
With a few seconds to spare, I was outbid on this nice Penman [huh]

Looking at the bid history, something was screwy... it's showing the winning bid was placed before mine, yet I wasn't instantly outbid, I sat as the winner until 2-3 seconds to go. This isn't the first auction I've lost that I called into question, I had one that said the winning bidder bid 2-3 minutes AFTER the auction close when I bid with 20-30 seconds left on the clock.

Randy

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
danofarlington said:
I'm happy that sellers are getting good prices for their hats, or trying to. But for that money, it raises the question, how much do you really want that vintage hat? Personally I like vintage hats when they're priced below new ones, but all in all my buying plan tends more toward new than vintage.

It's certainly worth the money, as it's rare. '50s and '60s Cavanaghs are mostly what turn up on eBay, and earlier ones only once in a great while. Plus, it's a Cavanagh, one of the highest-quality hats available, with a Cavanagh Edge, something you cannot buy new anymore. So, a fair deal.

As I say everytime I see a brown Cavanagh-Edge hat up for auction, I hope it doesn't get the Indy treatment.

Brad

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
theinterchange said:
With a few seconds to spare, I was outbid on this nice Penman [huh]

Looking at the bid history, something was screwy... it's showing the winning bid was placed before mine, yet I wasn't instantly outbid, I sat as the winner until 2-3 seconds to go. This isn't the first auction I've lost that I called into question, I had one that said the winning bidder bid 2-3 minutes AFTER the auction close when I bid with 20-30 seconds left on the clock.

Randy

The 1st and 3rd place bids were placed at the same time(with 3 seconds left), followed by the 4th place bidder(with 6 seconds left) and then followed by 2nd place bidder(with 46 seconds left). I have no idea which one you were, but I can't see anything wrong with ebays order.[huh] Why you would not have been outbid right away is screwy.[huh]...I now see you were not outbid until the last 3 seconds if you were the #2 bidder.

theinterchange

One Too Many
carouselvic said:
The 1st and 3rd place bids were placed at the same time(with 3 seconds left), followed by the 4th place bidder(with 6 seconds left) and then followed by 2nd place bidder(with 46 seconds left). I have no idea which one you were, but I can't see anything wrong with ebays order.[huh] Why you would not have been outbid right away is screwy.[huh]

I was the one at 46 seconds [well, that time is off, too... it was in the 50's so I had time to react to an outbid...], but it's still screwy. I question the "order" of bids at times, especially on the auction I mentioned before when a quick [less than a minute after an auction end] check of the history showed that the winning bid was still a minute or two into the future according to the eBay "official" clock... unless Doc and Marty are just messing with us. :p

Randy

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Vintage Bates ?(of London)? Supreme Strat/OR clone -"DeLuxe Quality-Peach Down Felt"

batesor1.jpg

BatesORClone.jpg

bateor3.jpg

batesor4.jpg

batesor5.jpg

batesor7.jpg

batesor6.jpg

Can't wait to get it!

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Don't think so

carouselvic said:
Are there two sweatbands?

It looks like a plastic liner to me. I have a few hats that seem to have a plastic band behind the leather sweat band too.
But MAN is that a cool hat. I love all the jazz inside and the outside looks clean as a whistle.

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
theinterchange said:
I was the one at 46 seconds [well, that time is off, too... it was in the 50's so I had time to react to an outbid...], but it's still screwy. I question the "order" of bids at times, especially on the auction I mentioned before when a quick [less than a minute after an auction end] check of the history showed that the winning bid was still a minute or two into the future according to the eBay "official" clock... unless Doc and Marty are just messing with us. :p

Randy

I don't see anything screwy.

A. 15:49:55 $80.59 - high bidder
B. 15:57:22 $120.91 - new high bidder
C. 15:58:02 $88.55 - B still high bidder
D. 15:58:05 $115.99 - B still high bidder
E. 15.58:05 $123.41 - new high bidder
15:58:08 - auction end

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
carouselvic said:
Are there two sweatbands?

That would be the "OIL-PROTECTO" feature of the Cushion Comfort Sweat Band. Keeps the sweat and oil from transferring from the sweatband to the felt.

Byer-Rolnick patented something like that in 1939 if I recall correctly.

theinterchange

One Too Many
BanjoMerlin said:
I don't see anything screwy.

A. 15:49:55 $80.59 - high bidder
B. 15:57:22 $120.91 - new high bidder
C. 15:58:02 $88.55 - B still high bidder
D. 15:58:05 $115.99 - B still high bidder
E. 15.58:05 $123.41 - new high bidder
15:58:08 - auction end

I agree, shown as it is here, there's nothing odd. BUT, this is different than what it read yesterday. As it read then, I should have never been a high bidder. [huh] I was B/high bidder until 2-3 seconds before the auction closed. Upon losing, as is my custom, I immediately went to the bid history to see what happened, and it listed E as having bid nearly a minute BEFORE I did, not after. [huh]

Nothing earth shattering that I lost, but it's still screwy in my eyes. I've noticed discrepancies like this on auctions that I had listed, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic