Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

rlk

I'll Lock Up
A few days ago, I picked up a vintage Miller for next to nothing. It came in today's mail, and I was quite surprised by a few things. First, it says 100% fur felt...it wasn't advertised as such, so I was pleasantly surprised. It has a great feel to it. Second, the bow is actually in the back. I've seen pictures here of hats with the bow in the back, but this is the first time I've ever experienced one myself. The brim is a bit too stingy for my personal taste. I'm sending it off to be cleaned and blocked, and when it gets back, I'll likely put it back on eBay. It'll make somebody a great hat.

I can't exactly tell what sort of bash the hat had originally...if anybody has any suggestions about how I should have it done, feel free to chime in. I'm open to suggestions.

IMG_0447.jpg

No bash--its a flat-top.

Last edited:

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Nice, Tim. I don't see a cord on it, though, and it's of a type I would have expected to be heated. Of course, it can be used without heat and there are those who prefer not to use it.

Congratulations on your find!

Cheers.
Tom

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
I wish I had known Tom, I'd have offered it to you! I had seen hats here on The Lounge classifieds "get passed over" (as Fredo would have said it), so I went direct to The Bay with it. It was a beauty, and the felt was really something. I was thinking it was 1948-1950 or so from some of the Knox ads I was able to see photos of online.

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
Here's one that I wish I could have justified doing a serious bid on. It's a Knox Foxhound, Superfine, 7 3/8 Long Oval. Whomever did win it got a deal on it, I think!
I've seen the Knox crest on a wind trolley button, but this is the first time I've seen a foxhound!

It's a beauty.... I wish it were mine!

Cheers,
Tom
I thought I had a shot at that one with a $120 bid. I didn't realize $195 was still a good deal. It sure is a beauty but was out of my budget this time :(

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
I wish I had known Tom, I'd have offered it to you!

No worries! I wouldn't have been able to justify it. My wife lost her job about 6 weeks or so ago, and shortly after that we got unofficial custody of our five-year-old granddaughter. I had to do a lot of tap dancing in front of my wife a couple of weeks ago when I put in three low bids ($60) on three hats (two Portis, one Mallory), figuring I'd be lucky to win one--and won all three. :eusa_doh: :D

As for that little bit of mothing on the underside of the brim, I've got more mothing on the underside of one of my current semi-daily wearers that I don't see when I'm wearing it, and neither does anyone else. I wouldn't have been discouraged by it.

Cheers,
Tom

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
Just won this Reistol Straw on Ebay it's old school and in great shape.
Restonfront.jpg

Restonside.jpg

Restfront.jpg

Restback.jpg

Restside.jpg

Restband.jpg

The best part is that it is identical to one that I had in college back in 1984 the band is even almost the same. The old one has the Truck bend so that you could wear it in a pickup and not have the back smack the back window. I loved that hat but as all straws they die at some point if worn enough.
MeandBart.jpg

So what do ya think

Jeff

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
I'm not sure it's really fair to call 195 + shipping a good deal. But as we see time and time again, those of us that appreciate these sweet old hats don't all move in the same financial orbit.

And speaking to Vic's point, although I have no idea about the condition of this particular hat, I feel the same way (in principle). I never buy anything with mothing. Of course, it could one day happen that I will make an exception, but I think the price would have to be very low.

Still, it is a cool hat. No doubt about it ... ;)

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
I'm not sure it's really fair to call 195 + shipping a good deal. But as we see time and time again, those of us that appreciate these sweet old hats don't all move in the same financial orbit.

And speaking to Vic's point, although I have no idea about the condition of this particular hat, I feel the same way (in principle). I never buy anything with mothing. Of course, it could one day happen that I will make an exception, but I think the price would have to be very low.

Still, it is a cool hat. No doubt about it ... ;)

Oh, I Was a bidder, but, condition Does matter to me, as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart