Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

HatsEnough

Banned
... my list is what I thought it was in the late 1940s for the Stetson dress hats line. I'd like to be corrected if I am wrong.

Lowest to highest:
Royal
Royal De Luxe / Royal Stetson De Luxe
Medalist
Sovereign
Imperial
Premier

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Medalist and Premier are not a compatible part of that list--on certain models and straw hats only. Take those out and your order is fine. There were periods during which the Premier priced under the Royal(5 vs 6 and later 8 vs. 10) Medalist is all over the place.
Premier hats seem to have been lightweights as far as I have noticed(Stratoliner,Playboy and Straws) although that may be a false impression.

Last edited:

TCMfan25

Practically Family
Nooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!! The most beautiful dobbs boater lost!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OH NO!!!!!!! I lost the most beautiful Boater I have ever seen to a computer error!!!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...ewitem=&clk_rvr_id=235885745841#ht_500wt_1156

I had entered $100 at 15 seconds (the website had hinted that his max bid was under 100), when suddenly $102! 7 seconds left I typed in a swift $103.50 and selected confirm bid BUT EBAY HAD FAILED TO LOAD THE BID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad::eusa_doh::eusa_doh::rage::rage::rage: Now I have to settle for an Olney :(.

ejbhats

A-List Customer
OH NO!!!!!!! I lost the most beautiful Boater I have ever seen to a computer error!!!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...ewitem=&clk_rvr_id=235885745841#ht_500wt_1156

I had entered $100 at 15 seconds (the website had hinted that his max bid was under 100), when suddenly $102! 7 seconds left I typed in a swift $103.50 and selected confirm bid BUT EBAY HAD FAILED TO LOAD THE BID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad::eusa_doh::eusa_doh::rage::rage::rage: Now I have to settle for an Olney :(.

That happens to me quite often, you're not alone. All those devices people can buy to bid faster in the last seconds takes fair market practice out of the picture and chaps my arse! It's not fair on any level of common decency. Those devices should be used exclusivley for voting on American Idol and not a public auction forum.
Eric

However in a rare twist, I was able to scoop up this great buy on a Champ OR clone. Appears in fair condition and a great price to boot!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...hU4HGGU%3D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Last edited:

Mario

I'll Lock Up
That happens to me quite often, you're not alone. All those devices people can buy to bid faster in the last seconds takes fair market practice out of the picture and chaps my arse! It's not fair on any level of common decency. Those devices should be used exclusivley for voting on American Idol and not a public auction forum.

Guess I have to 'fess up, then: I'm using a sniper all the time. It's not just that last-second bid; sometimes I just can't manage to be at the computer when an auction ends. Non, je ne regrette rien... ;)

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up

The problem was with your bid. At $100 the minimum bid is $2.50, if you would have bid $104.50 it would have registered(assuming it was done in a timely manner).

HatsEnough

Banned
OH NO!!!!!!! I lost the most beautiful Boater I have ever seen to a computer error!!!!!

But how do you know that the one that outbid you stopped at $102? Maybe he had a high bid of $120 and your $103.50 would not have been enough anyway?

I do not use a sniper, but I have nothing against them. I do sniper, in essence, though. I never bid on an item except in the last 10 seconds of an auction. There is usually just enough time for me to bid twice in 10 seconds (if I'm quick and I have to). To be sure, I did not bid on that Boater, though.

Omne

Familiar Face
I have to admit, I've been using sniper software for the last 10+ years. I kept running into auctions that either ended when I was at work or in the middle of the night. Yes, it's a nice Korean Celadon but I'm not going to sit around at 3:00am waiting to put in a quick last bid. I always make sure I load the maximum I'm willing to pay from the start. That way I don't feel bad if I don't get it.

TCMfan25

Practically Family
But how do you know that the one that outbid you stopped at $102? Maybe he had a high bid of $120 and your $103.50 would not have been enough anyway?

I do not use a sniper, but I have nothing against them. I do sniper, in essence, though. I never bid on an item except in the last 10 seconds of an auction. There is usually just enough time for me to bid twice in 10 seconds (if I'm quick and I have to). To be sure, I did not bid on that Boater, though.

No according to the Ebay increment system his max bid was under 100, for it said (at the time of my $100 bid the hat was at $78) enter $79 or more, indicating a $1 increment and a max bid or $99.99 0r less. He was either the Kenya of Ebay or was using a sniper device, either one maddened me.

billyspew

One Too Many
No according to the Ebay increment system his max bid was under 100, for it said (at the time of my $100 bid the hat was at $78) enter $79 or more, indicating a $1 increment and a max bid or $99.99 0r less. He was either the Kenya of Ebay or was using a sniper device, either one maddened me.

Incorrect. If you look at his bid of $102 it was made on the 28th May. Yours was on the 29th, ergo he was not using a sniper program.

Omne

Familiar Face

From looking at the bidding history they had a maximum bid in for over $100 on the 28th. When you entered $100 it would have been asking for a bid of $79 since the last bid under the winners maximum was for $77. After the $77 was bid the winner would have been showing as the high bid at $78 and asking for $79. No matter what you put in up to the winners maximum it would have shown them as the high bidder at whatever the increment was.

Bidder Bid Amount Bid Time

Member Id: i***f US $102.00 May-28-11 18:38:55 PDT

Member Id: 1***e US $100.00 May-29-11 16:44:27 PDT ( I'm assuming this is you)

Member Id: i***f US $90.00 May-26-11 16:02:24 PDT

Member Id: i***f US $80.00 May-26-11 10:39:09 PDT

Member Id: 1***i US $77.00 May-29-11 11:14:29 PDT

Member Id: i***f US $75.00 May-24-11 18:45:34 PDT

Member Id: r***o US $65.52 May-29-11 06:56:12 PDT

Member Id: r***o US $63.17 May-28-11 19:57:26 PDT

Member Id: i***f US $60.00 May-24-11 12:44:48 PDT

Member Id: 1***i US $59.00 May-28-11 18:17:58 PDT

Member Id: o***l US $36.00 May-26-11 10:36:28 PDT

Member Id: i***f US $35.00 May-23-11 17:52:47 PDT

Member Id: o***l US $26.26 May-26-11 10:36:19 PDT

Member Id: r***h US $10.95 May-22-11 21:42:38 PDT