Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

HatsEnough

Banned
I haven't gotten a new one for a while, but this came today... Stetson 100 from Morris Men's Shop, Stockyard Inn, Chicago

It is in great shape, very clean. Seems in near new shape. And the trunk has both the plastic holders and the key! The size tag is the black, key-hole tag. Size 7-1/8 but a tad roomy on me.

stetson100or01.jpg

stetson100or02.jpg

stetson100or07.jpg

stetson100or08.jpg

stetson100or06.jpg

stetson100or05.jpg

I am going to guess late 50s early 60s because Morris men's shop went away before the 70s (the Stockyard Inn closed and the men's shop moved and stopped selling western wear and hats).

It is a smaller trunk compared to the Stetson 100 Western that I have.

stetson100or12.jpg

Last edited:
Excellent, Alan! Do let us see it when you get it.

Great pickup on that 100, Hats enough ( maybe you should change your name).

Certainly.

Hats Enough, based on your Stetson felt comments on the previous page, is the felt on this 100 softer than your 7XCB? It looked like a nice 100 and earlier than mine, though the timeframe of the Stetson 100 is only a decade (mid fifties to mid sixties, I think.) I was tempted on this one.

HatsEnough

Banned
Alan,

The felt of the crown is much nicer on this 100 than it is on my 60/70s era 7X, for sure. The crown is very soft but holds a shape very well. The brim on the 100 is a bit stiffer than I would have guessed, though. Still, the difference between this late 50s 100 and the late 60s or early 70s 7X is startling. The 7X is stiff all over, crown and all. In fact, I really can't feel any difference that would tell me the 7X is a 7X! It just doesn't feel much different than a 4X or 3X from the same time period. This 100 just has a nicer feel to it all the way around.

Brando11

A-List Customer
Just got my email from Jenny on the Heritage Campdraft deal. If that hat comes out anywhere close to the same arena, the same Zip Code as your new 100 or Alan's 7XCB I will be THRILLED.

-Brando

HatsEnough

Banned
I have been looking at hat boxes for a while now and I keep seeing a funny line in the description area of some of the sales. It goes something like this:

"Vintage XXX(name your hat company here) company hat box. Good only for decoration"

Why is it "good only for decoration"? Can't anyone put anything in them??

It is just a funny way to describe an empty hat box.

Certainly.

Hats Enough, based on your Stetson felt comments on the previous page, is the felt on this 100 softer than your 7XCB? It looked like a nice 100 and earlier than mine, though the timeframe of the Stetson 100 is only a decade (mid fifties to mid sixties, I think.) I was tempted on this one.

Carouselvic reminded me of this post which shows an early fifties advertisement for the 100 designation.

Vic, if you see this, your inbox is overflowing.

HatsEnough

Banned
Carouselvic reminded me of this post which shows an early fifties advertisement for the 100 designation.

I like that ad. It says that in 1952 the 100 came in a "luxurious golden luggage box." By that I assume they mean the gold foil covered paperboard box with the red interior. I have one of those. I keep my 1950s era Stetson 25 in it. I also have a sort of caramel colored, hinged lid, hard paperboard box with the Stetson logo printed in black on the outside. I keep my 7X from the 1960s in that one.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I like that ad. It says that in 1952 the 100 came in a "luxurious golden luggage box." By that I assume they mean the gold foil covered paperboard box with the red interior. I have one of those. I keep my 1950s era Stetson 25 in it. I also have a sort of caramel colored, hinged lid, hard paperboard box with the Stetson logo printed in black on the outside. I keep my 7X from the 1960s in that one.

How do you like the 7x compared to the 25?

HatsEnough

Banned
How do you like the 7x compared to the 25?
Well, my 7X was made in the late 60s or the 1970s. The 25 is definitely an early 1950s model. The 25 OR is far, far better than the 7X. The 25 is buttery soft, yet resilient as heck. It has the nicest feel to the felt and the leather sweat on the 25 is loads better quality than that of the 7X. I am not at all impressed by the 60s/70s era 7X, to tell the truth. My 25 is one of my favorite hats.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
I have been looking at hat boxes for a while now and I keep seeing a funny line in the description area of some of the sales. It goes something like this:

"Vintage XXX(name your hat company here) company hat box. Good only for decoration"

Why is it "good only for decoration"? Can't anyone put anything in them??

It is just a funny way to describe an empty hat box.

Maybe the box's innards are missing, so it's just a void with no support for a hat?

HatsEnough

Banned
I remember that store. My folks took me up on the Carew Tower when I was about 13. I did a term paper on the Tyler Davidson Fountain that year. Just about every year when we were young we'd go downtown and look at the Christmas displays in the shop windows. My highlight was the gag and trick shop that was down there. Could never get enough of fake Dog Poop!

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
Alan,

The felt of the crown is much nicer on this 100 than it is on my 60/70s era 7X, for sure. The crown is very soft but holds a shape very well. The brim on the 100 is a bit stiffer than I would have guessed, though. Still, the difference between this late 50s 100 and the late 60s or early 70s 7X is startling. The 7X is stiff all over, crown and all. In fact, I really can't feel any difference that would tell me the 7X is a 7X! It just doesn't feel much different than a 4X or 3X from the same time period. This 100 just has a nicer feel to it all the way around.

This 7X that you have, does it say clear beaver or simply 7X?

HatsEnough

Banned
This 7X that you have, does it say clear beaver or simply 7X?
It just says 7X. No clear beaver noted.

... by the way, after you asked I looked closer at this hat and there is a hand written date inside the sweatband that has a day, a month and the year 1991, size 7. So, this is a 90s era hat. not a 60s/70s one as I had assumed. (no wonder it sucks.)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou