Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

The "...deal with the Amon Carter Shady Oaks" is that it was a made for one hatter in Ft. Worth as a style worn by oilman Amon Carter of Ft. Worth under license to Stetson BY Peter Bros. of Ft. Worth. They were top of the line, all beaver hats and that crease was as Amon Carter wore. Peter Bros. STILL makes that model only it no longer is a labeled as a Stetson, it is an in house model, their BEST and currently sells in the $700.00 to $1,000.00 range. You have a RARE and valuable hat, take good care of it :) That model was probably made in the 40's/50's BTW.

Not familiar with the model, but I would have guessed 1960's-70's.

Enjoy it, Terry!

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
They were top of the line, all beaver hats

This one is marked Sovereign, making it a either a blend, or lacking beaver entirely (we simply don't know this yet). Others have posted Carter 7XCBs which are all beaver, but this one is not. This was, at the time, a $20 hat, while the 7XCB was a $50 hat (unless the Amon Carter label affected the price, in which case, they should increase proportionately).

I also don't believe for a minute that this is a 40s hat. Late 50s, maybe, 60s, probably.

Still, it's a great hat in a large size for a great price.

Brando11

A-List Customer
The "...deal with the Amon Carter Shady Oaks" is that it was a made for one hatter in Ft. Worth as a style worn by oilman Amon Carter of Ft. Worth under license to Stetson BY Peter Bros. of Ft. Worth. They were top of the line, all beaver hats and that crease was as Amon Carter wore. Peter Bros. STILL makes that model only it no longer is a labeled as a Stetson, it is an in house model, their BEST and currently sells in the $700.00 to $1,000.00 range. You have a RARE and valuable hat, take good care of it :) That model was probably made in the 40's/50's BTW.

Terry, you got a GREAT one, IMO. I have Shady Oaks Hat as one of my saved searches on eBay; I'm glad that one's not my size or I'd be sore at missing it!

If you look at the Peters Bros site, that's the hat that was given out to Presidents and all the other top guns visiting Texas. It's slightly larger than a standard OR in all respects, and was/is one of their top-level hats.

I'm jealous- Great snag!

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
That's a decent price for Dinerman. I think he paid $25 for it in 2009.

It's amazing the difference having clear photos makes.

This (auction photos from when I bought it)
100_3381-vi.jpg

100_3387-vi.jpg

Versus this (mine)

IMG_8589.jpg

IMG_8596.jpg

Justin B

One Too Many
Got two of the hats I'd bought this past month today...The Strat is gorgeous, I'll get some pictures up later. The Champ featherweight however....Looks like the post office had an issue. It had been repackaged, the original box was destroyed, the hat smashed flat...tipped my temper right off. Luckily the mail person had fled our lot by the time I opened it or I'd have said things I might have regreted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn