Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Sorry Z. I hastily wrote that post and was thinking I was omitting too much for someone new to the topic. Glad you figured it out.

Btw, the guy has yet to reimburse me and I'm getting a little nervous.

No problem ... ;)

As with boiling water, time tends to expand as you wait for refunds. Just give him the time he needs to complete the transaction. There is no reason, it seems to me, to be concerned that he will not follow through.

Mystic

Practically Family
You guys won't believe this. There was no size tag in the hat and he assumed it was a 7 3/8 since all of the other hats at the estate sale were. He sent me a message (thank goodness) before shipping to make sure of the size, saying the circumference measured to 22"! I immediately responded asking him to reimburse me. He said he would.

I have gotten to the point of asking for the size and the circumference measurement and if they don't jive...I ask for side to side - front to back measurements.....If they don't get the info...I don't bid.

Just last night i backed off of 2 hats from the same seller because when i asked them how they determined the hat size of one (no size tag in hat) they said they have another hat they "think" is a 6 7/8 and this one is a little bigger so it must be a 7. [huh] lol

Otateral

Familiar Face
I have bad luck asking for circumference. I ask and the seller just looks at a chart based on the size. I could google a chart! So now I ask width and length then calculate it myself.

Last edited:

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Nice one, Otateral.

I think the stingy brimmed fedoras just aren't commanding the larger prices these days. That may not be the case for long, though, so if you dig 'em, snap up a few. :)

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I have gotten to the point of asking for the size and the circumference measurement and if they don't jive...I ask for side to side - front to back measurements.....If they don't get the info...I don't bid.

Just last night i backed off of 2 hats from the same seller because when i asked them how they determined the hat size of one (no size tag in hat) they said they have another hat they "think" is a 6 7/8 and this one is a little bigger so it must be a 7. [huh] lol

I have found a few times that even asking for the measurements from the inner hat, some sellers will still tell you some bad information. One hat I was tempted to purchase was listed as 7 3/8's but the seller states the inner measurement was only 22 1/2 inches, which is NOT a 7 3/8 size. When asked about it, the seller said it was a 7 3/8 size, and pushed that as a normal measurement for the 7 3/8's size in a Stetson. The response on my behalf, not gonna buy it.

I have found a few times that even asking for the measurements from the inner hat, some sellers will still tell you some bad information. One hat I was tempted to purchase was listed as 7 3/8's but the seller states the inner measurement was only 22 1/2 inches, which is NOT a 7 3/8 size. When asked about it, the seller said it was a 7 3/8 size, and pushed that as a normal measurement for the 7 3/8's size in a Stetson. The response on my behalf, not gonna buy it.

Circumference is quite difficult to measure accurately without a tool designed for this purpose. The margin of error can easily be an inch depending on the method used. Some sellers are listing a hat with family connection and will go out of their way to find a good home for it, responding to questions with photos and more careful measurements. Others are listing a couple of garage sale finds amidst a thousand PEZ dispensers and Star Wars figures. You just have to go with the flow, develop your sleuthing skills and expect to haul in a few dogs along with the pearls.

Mystic

Practically Family
You just have to go with the flow, develop your sleuthing skills and expect to haul in a few dogs along with the pearls.

I expect to run into a few stray "dogs" .......but, they run in packs on eBay :rolleyes:

while the "pearls" rarely come out of the oysters.... and the "semi-pearls" usually end up in a bidding frenzy and end up out of my hat budget :frown:

It would do some ebay sellers good to thumb through an old Sears catalog.......description description description :smile:

Hat buying can be frustrating on eBay :frusty: ........sometimes more so than it has to be. :eek:hwell:

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
$(KGrHqZ,!l!E9IbwLVqdBPjH+E8SvQ~~60_58.JPG

Vtg 30s 40s Stetson STRATOLINER Fur Felt Hat Fedora Size LARGE 7 3/8 RARE!

Rare color not the best in shape went for a good price for the seller.

$251.49

Mystic

Practically Family

I agree.....If the measurements and the size don't make sense.....I don't bid.

I may miss a few by not rolling the dice, but, it lessens my chances of getting some hats I can't wear.

Landman

One Too Many
Ed,

You are definitely right about just the mention of "Stratoliner" can really raise the price. The moth holes are what bothered me. On old hats I don't mind anything else like rub marks, stains, worn sweatband but any moth holes are just deal killers for me.

Mike

Landman

One Too Many
Ed,

I already have several old ones that look practically brand new. None are true Stratoliners but the only difference is the "Stratoliner" name is not on the sweatband. I really love those old hats. The felt is incredible and the thin wide sweatbands are great. With the wide sweatbands and light felt you almost forget you have a hat on. I have yet to see a new custom hat like those old ones but then I have never bought a custom hat from a true artist like Art Fawcett. Maybe someday.

Mike

DJH

I'll Lock Up
I've not been buying many hats on eBay for a while, but couldn't resist this one.

From my post in the Holy Grail Fedora thread from last summer:

I'd also like to treat myself to a high quality Panama from Optimo or the bloke in Hawaii too!

Looks like the bloke in Hawaii came in first.

bbb-L.jpg

No idea where this is on the Brent Black quality scale, but even if it is his entry level, I'm hoping it will turn out to be a nice hat at a pretty decent price.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou