Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Got my Pennys Marathon today...

Well, I got my second ebay buy in the mail today. It's a Pennys Marathon.

In the photos the Pennys is on the right side. The one on the left is the Adams Executive that I got from ebay last week.

The Pennys is a sort of brownish gray while the Adams is a warmer, tannish gray.

marathon_01.JPG

marathon_02.JPG

I paid about $31 for the Adams and about $45 for the Pennys.

If there is one thing I've learned on ebay buys is that the color in the photos are never going to be right! The Penny's looked like a cool, blueish gray in the photo on ebay but once I got it, I saw it was more like a brownish gray. The color is wildly different between the real color and the photo on ebay! I am SURE none of this surprises any of you out there! Even in my photos the hats are lighter than they are to the eye. Incidentally, the top photo is the closest to the right colors.

So, now I have two vintage fedoras for my new little collection. I am excited!

Yes eBay can be an adventure :) but that is part of the fun (assuming the hat doesn't have phyical problems or the wrong size). I think you did fantastic with the Adam and Penny's! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

jeffconnors

A-List Customer
Lefty said:
Nice Marathon. :eusa_clap

Agreed. It looks soft. Whatever it is, I was interested, but the seller didn't seem to want my money.
Yeh.. I run into that a lot, there seams to be a huge fear of international shipping out there. Or people think the deserve a very large amount of money to fill out a customs form...

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mobile Vulgus said:
Just got a cheapie for $12.00 It's a Pilgrim Open-Roadie-like hat.

Worth it for so cheap, I think. What do you fellers think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190434896490
Well, whatever its condition or the extent of the unseen stain, you can't do much better than that price plus shipping and handling. As to its 1930s or 40s vintage, I speculate that the seller may have no way of knowing that. A lot of EBay vintage hats are billed as "100% wool" when you can see they're not wool hats, they're felt. Sellers apparently feel obligated to sound like they know what they're doing, but I think most do not. If you receive the hat and you don't like it, you would have received an inexpensive lesson. Anything better than that is gravy.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Size is a big part of it. Size 7s rarely exceed $50 unless they're something really special, or there's a Whippet trend on. At you size, you'll be able to get the best hats at prices that make us larger melons cry.

That Bantam I posted above is a pretty rare one, so it got the proper size 7 price adjustment.

Mobile Vulgus said:
Just got a cheapie for $12.00 It's a Pilgrim Open-Roadie-like hat.

Worth it for so cheap, I think. What do you fellers think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190434896490

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Yep

danofarlington, that's how I saw it. For just under $20 you can't beat it. I am sure that few of the sellers have any idea what they really have. How does this guy know it's from 1940? He probably doesn't.

But, heck, it's only $20!

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Yep, us tiny heads...

I have realized that us tiny-headed folks are lucky like that. I swim in a 7-1/8. Sometimes a 6-7/8 works, but usually a 7 is just right. Bigger than that is right out. As I've been looking at ebay it is for sure that everything above 7 is going for far more than I've paid so far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran