Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
Mobile Vulgus said:
danofarlington, that's how I saw it. For just under $20 you can't beat it. I am sure that few of the sellers have any idea what they really have. How does this guy know it's from 1940? He probably doesn't.

But, heck, it's only $20!

Could be late '40s, no later than the '50s. A really nice hat from Sears.

At your size, you could fill your closet with great hats for short money.

Mobile Vulgus said:
Just got a cheapie for $12.00 It's a Pilgrim Open-Roadie-like hat.

Worth it for so cheap, I think. What do you fellers think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190434896490

MV,

I see you're a pinhead like me. That's actually great for vintage hats, the 6 7/8 and 7's are easy to come by, and some are in perfect condition. You've got some good ones so far.

I hope a lounger got that Bantam, nice hat, I didn't want to keep bidding up on it though.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Mobile Vulgus said:
I have realized that us tiny-headed folks are lucky like that. I swim in a 7-1/8. Sometimes a 6-7/8 works, but usually a 7 is just right. Bigger than that is right out. As I've been looking at ebay it is for sure that everything above 7 is going for far more than I've paid so far.

Mobile Vulgus, you've described my hat sizing perfectly. Sometimes you will find in vintage hats that a "7 1/8" will fit you just as good and sometimes beter than a "7" because vintage hat sizes are all over the map. Usually I ask a seller to measure the inside sweatband for an exact measurment. My head size is exactly 21 7/8 inches around which would mean that I would "qualify" for the begining of a size 7, but if I were to buy a hat that was 21 7/8, it would be too tight. So I usually look for 22 inches to about 22 1/4. But Lefty is absolutely right, size 7 hats are usually a "dime a dozen" except for very rare ones. Good luck with your ebay findings!!

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Hey... WAIT a minute...

Hey, I just realized the down side of my pinheaded hat size! Sure it's great to pay a pittance for a good hat because fewer people have such a small hat size.... but the flip side is if I want to sell my hats sometime I'll never get much for them for the same stinkin' reason!

Poop.

:mad:

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
hatophile said:
Yes, but,

They'll be even more vintage when you go to sell them, so they should be worth more, right?

You would think that would be the case. I mean most of the hats that most of us are buying are anywhere from 40-100 years old. Even though millions of men wore hats for centuries, there are not millions of vintage hats on ebay at any given time. That means the population of vintage hats shrinks every year that goes by. But then again, im sure if most of America were to clean out their attics, there would probably be a plethora of vintage hats to flood the market.

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
You know...

Of course, you know that the largest portion of stuff in attics gets thrown out. That's why antiques are antiques, after all. People just throw stuff away.

I wouldn't worry too much of that sudden surge of hats to market.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
BanjoMerlin said:
Don't I wish! An old house with an undisturbed attic is a rare treasure nowadays.
Personally, I don't think that the oldest hats are always the most fantastic. I like old hats for particular looks, or particular authenticity, or for ideas. But for wearable hats on me the way I use them, I really prefer new hats. Actually I personally don't want the image of always going around in an old hat. It's a look you could cop, for sure, but not one I permanently choose. Still I buy from E Bay and like it, and wear vintage hats part of the time.

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer

billyspew

One Too Many
Just won this interesting hat brush + moustache comb set

!B04uS)!!2k~$(KGrHqYOKi4E)(-myV)hBMcTzSR6ew~~_35.JPG
!B04uPwQEGk~$(KGrHqMOKjcE)d0zTnIUBMcTzKSlrQ~~_35.JPG

No idea why. I just wanted it. I'll have to grow a 'tache now.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
jeffconnors said:
ummm over 250 views, pricey hat in a rare size goes to me for pennies on the dollar ...what gives?

Just-back-from-vacation-just-sent-kids-back-to-school lack of funds??? [huh]

It is mighty strange. Another interesting aspect is that a lot of us are at this point where, upon winning something at an absurbly low price instead of yelling "Yes!" and doing the old "fist pump" in the air we sit back and wonder "What the hell?" :)

Congratulations to you, and condolences to M. Jones.

Cheers,
Tom

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
billyspew said:
Just won this interesting hat brush + moustache comb set

!B04uS)!!2k~$(KGrHqYOKi4E)(-myV)hBMcTzSR6ew~~_35.JPG
!B04uPwQEGk~$(KGrHqMOKjcE)d0zTnIUBMcTzKSlrQ~~_35.JPG

No idea why. I just wanted it. I'll have to grow a 'tache now.

I was watching this (I do have a big handlebar moustache. And a monocle. No top hat, though ;) ) But, I have a servicable moustache comb, and the type of wax I use means I can't really use a moustache brush, which is better for a more natural, flowing 'tache like Wyatt Earp's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran