Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Mario

I'll Lock Up
By "whisper," do you mean tell only a few selected people by PM? Just wondering.

I just mean that it's best to keep it to yourself. When you post a find, you've just announced it to more than the members here, you've also announced it to all of the lurkers. There's a chance that this will drive the price higher than it would otherwise go, and the bidders who would want to keep the auction as low profile as possible will not be your biggest fans.

Lefty is right. This place is a mighty ocean and we're all just fishes here - but some fishes are bigger than others. And have more teeth. Remember: all sharks are fishes, but not all fishes are sharks... ;)

Last edited:

Machine Ager

Familiar Face
Well was looking forward to buying a vintage Lock and co... but bidding just got too rich for my blood.

What I am still really wanting is a 7 3/8th ~2.5" brim Mallory made in Danbury, Ct. as my wife is from there... someday i'll find it!

MA

Machine Ager

Familiar Face
Lefty

I think this is good advice... as an example I may have hurt my own recent bidding and lost a hat by talking about an active action .... newbie school of hard knocks...

MA

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Many more brands were made in Danbury. Unless you're really looking for a Mallory in particular, you've got plenty of other options, including Lee (who also made Penny's Marathon hats), and others I can't think of with my slow to wake up brain.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Disney is another band made in Danbury which was a big hat town. Go to local vintage shops an tell them to call you when something comes up in your size. I get more hats that way then on eBay. I have a business card just for my hats.

Machine Ager

Familiar Face
Thanks Lefty and WH

I will do some research on what hats were Danbury made but would like a Mallory.

Unfortunately in Austin the vintage shops are so busy they won't call you I've tried that approach :(

MA

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Not exactly a hat - and not mine: Vintage electric hat stretcher from Germany (refurbished). Went for approx. $130. What a bargain!

$(KGrHqF,!hsE1QLggVUHBNb81pCcVw~~_12.JPG

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Sometimes, hats you don't see very often pop-up on ebay in groups. CBs were there far more often than usual in January and Feburary, and quite a few of those higher numbered Knox and Dobbs hats have been up recently. I seldom see Nutria Quality (or Real Nutria or Clear Nutria) Stetsons, but here's yet another Stetson Nutria Quality, 7 3/8. -not mine

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR