Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

HatsEnough

Banned
ugh. I had to delete my entire watch list this morning. I might even try to block myself from ebay for awhile-- way too many temptations, way too light of a wallet. I'm attempting something called "responsibility." I'll let you all know how it works out...

Here is where we all point at you and make that screeching sound like they did in Invasion of the Body Snatchers.
:)

T Rick

Practically Family
Both are beauties. Nice going!

ugh. I had to delete my entire watch list this morning. I might even try to block myself from ebay for awhile-- way too many temptations, way too light of a wallet. I'm attempting something called "responsibility." I'll let you all know how it works out...
BT, DT. It's over rated... ;)

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Only the second plastic felt I've ever seen.
Mallory Plastic Felt, 25% vinyon, 75% wool. (I searched vinyon and understand it to be pvc.)
malloryplasticfelt1.jpg
malloryplasticfelt.jpg

Last edited:

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
As a guess, yes. Vinyon was invented in '39, and the War was certainly the period of experimentation by necessity.

StetsonPlasticFelt1946.jpg

also ebay pics
stetsonplasticfelt1.jpg
stetsonplasticfelt2.jpg

stetsonplasticfelt3.jpg

Last edited:

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Even though Stetson owned Mallory at this point, they didn't use Stetson liners in them, so either it's a factory second, or the liner was added later from a different hat. The liner, does come from the same time frame as the felt and sweatband, though. The hat dates from the late '50s or early 1960s. Also, despite it being listed as such, it's not a homburg, just a regular snap brim fedora. Interesting ribbon treatment.

Omne

Familiar Face
Well, my second eBay purchase, a brown Manhattan here

Says it in good condition, I'll be curious as to how it turns out. For $15 + shipping I figured what the heck.

barrowjh

One Too Many
Referring back to post #15529, the hat won on July 2nd arrived today, and I am pleasantly surprised. The felt is not stiff cardboard, so I am reasonably impressed with this felt, since it is a relatively 'current' production hat. Anyway, here is the hat -
Picture92.jpg

Put a DTD/C-crown in it with ease, nice felt. Royal Stetson, so it is all rabbit.
Picture91.jpg

Picture90.jpg

Picture93.jpg

Picture94.jpg

The particulars -
Picture84.jpg

Note that it has a dimensional brim, 2 3/8ths on the sides, 2 5/8ths front and back:
Picture86.jpg

Picture87.jpg

Last two:
Picture88.jpg

Picture89.jpg

Not a bad hat, for just $27.13! ($19.99 + $7.14 shipping). These are still available on several sites, in the $135 to $170 range. The new ones are advertized with dimensional brim 2 3/8 front back and 2 1/4 sides, and the moss color is '42' instead of '40' so there have been some changes since this one was made, but not much.

barrowjh

One Too Many
Weekender - Royal Stetson in Moss Green

Referring back to post #15529, the hat won on July 2nd arrived today, and I am pleasantly surprised. The felt is not stiff cardboard, so I am pleasantly surprised by this modern Hatco felt. Anyway, here is the hat -

Picture92.jpg

Put a DTD/C-crown in it with ease, nice felt. Royal Stetson, so it is all rabbit.
Picture91.jpg

Picture90.jpg

Picture93.jpg

Picture94.jpg

The particulars -
Picture84.jpg

Note that it has a dimensional brim, 2 3/8ths on the sides, 2 5/8ths front and back:
Picture86.jpg

Picture87.jpg

Last two:
Picture88.jpg

Picture89.jpg

Not a bad hat, for just $19.99 plus $7.14 shipping. This hat is still for sale (new) on various sites, in the $135 - 170 range. Where this one is a '40 Moss' color the new ones are a '42' for the moss color, so this one I picked up on ebay is maybe a few years old, but not many. Basically, it is a new hat.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou