Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
noclevermoniker1969 is a former member here (unless I'm mixed up and am thinking of the wrong guy).
I tried to get his Cavanagh this evening, but the reserve is North of $200 and he didn't get that (I wasn't the top bidder).
If it is re-listed I may have to reconsider. He is listing some nice 3/8 hats from his outstanding collection.

I was surprised to see his reserve was that high. It's a beautiful '40s Cavanagh, so rare to see any of them from before the '50s, but I was concerned that the Cavanagh Edge had been flattened at some point in its life from ironing. It just didn't look right to me.

Brad

Omne

Familiar Face
Now, if that was a 7-1/8 or smaller, he'd have been lucky to get $200!

Looks like a 1960s one, too.

I've been keeping an eye out for one in 3/8 or 3/8 LO but I don't like brims larger than 2 1/2. 2 3/8 is my preferred width and I haven't see any 100s with that width since I started getting interested in hats.

I went back and forth on this one before I picked an amount to bid. I went high because I really wanted the hat. I threw in extra for the case since it had the keys/working locks and the correct insert. I have a local leather place than can clean up the case.

My original bid would have more than the second highest bid but less than the reserve. I upped it yesterday afternoon to a nice round number that turned out to be more than the reserve. I didn't expect that high of a reserve and was thinking it would be in the $350-$400 range. But since I was willing to pay slightly more than I did to get it I'm very happy.

I guessed it was a 60s model too from what I could see.

Overall, yesterday was a pretty good hat day with the two I picked up. This is definitely going to slow me down on any more hats for while though. :whistle:

Last edited:

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
noclevermoniker1969 is a former member here (unless I'm mixed up and am thinking of the wrong guy).
I tried to get his Cavanagh this evening, but the reserve is North of $200 and he didn't get that (I wasn't the top bidder).
If it is re-listed I may have to reconsider. He is listing some nice 3/8 hats from his outstanding collection.

That olive Maclachlan used to be mine - Optimo did a great job of cleaning it up. Massive hat!

I recently won this size 58cm German Velour. Probably late 1950s. Poor photos but I think this one will turn out to be a nice one.

6231287568_78a468298f_o.jpg

6231287530_8c60e9d094_o.jpg

HatsEnough

Banned
People amaze me. If you've looked for any particular item on ebay, doesn't matter what it is, if you've looked long enough, you'll begin to notice that some idiot sellers re-list the same item over, and over, and over again at idiotically, stupidly high prices. Naturally they never sell anything. Like in hats the guy that keeps relisting that horseshoe creased Stetson western for $400!! No one is ever going to pay $400 for that hat you moron.

Yet, these fools relist their items without seeming to take the slightest hint that they are dumb as a box of rocks about what they think their item is worth.

It just says a lot about the foolishness of humanity.

I saw a beat up Stetson hat box that some idiot listed for $124! Oh, it's raaaaare, ya know? Of course the very same box rarely goes for more than $20 for everyone else, but this numbskull thinks he's getting $124! Moron.

OK, rant over. Back to your regularly scheduled hat sales...

Edit to add.... I just saw another idiot selling a bowler that was not made by Stetson as a "stetson era" hat. What the hell does "stetson era" mean!? Another moron.

Last edited:

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
What are your impressions of that one, Mike? I vacillated on trying for it, but opted not to.

It has some very small moth nips in it that mostly came out with a little pin work, sponging, and brushing. Other than that I will say that it might be the nicest felt that I have touched. The felt on my 100 is softer to the touch and molds to any shape like clay, but is a little stiffer than this felt. This one is almost as soft, almost as moldable, but not stiff at all. I have it in open crown now and will experiment with a bash I saw michaelshane and alanf put on one of their similar stetsons a little later tonight. I'm keeping this one for me and plan to wear it often. I may pass along some of my other open roads since I obtained this one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24